Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785022 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #1890 on: 25 March 2015, 12:33 »
If they'd have jerked me around that much even on a company car, let alone my own one, I'd be telling them where to shove it and be straight out looking at any non-VAG dealer I could find for something else.

Its not a minor whinge, its a major one and whats even worse is that both parties are just pointing the finger at the other and not seeking to break the deadlock.

BMW time?

If not the R, it would probably be the BMW 330d/335d with X-drive, but it's a dynamically different car, too big for the missus to ever attempt to drive it. Apart from an S3 (just to be a tiny bit different, and Audi don't seem to be much quicker in making certain cars) there's nothing else I fancy. I'd be offered £16k in p/x against an Audi or BMW right now (maybe less for the Audi as it would be a longer wait and therefore the GTD would be depreciating more).

VW UK will never spend any of their own money on a resolution, they must be raking it in right now, being the sole importer of VWs into the UK, considering the Pound's strength against the Euro right now (assuming they pay VW AG in Euros for every car they bring across for the dealership network).
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1891 on: 25 March 2015, 12:37 »
MH  - many thanks for taking the time to tell this depressing story... I do hope a good resolution comes out of this for you - and fast!

I just wanted to cheer everyone else up - there's always someone else worse off than yourself (finding that hard to believe right now.  :grin:).

Resolution-wise I think the best I can hope for is that VW UK strongarm the dealership into applying Autoglym for nowt, rather than dipping into their own pockets and giving me a set of services or something. Seems in these situations VW UK just bully the dealership into giving something to the customer out of their own margin. I'm sure the dealership are every bit as keen to get my money banked and get my p/x sold as I am keen to be getting the R.

Hey you could always tell them to shove it and preorder a new type R, I have a certain soft spot for its lewdness but need a guinea pig to tell me how bearable it is :grin:

Not a Honda fan in general, didn't like having to wring the neck of my mate's 2009 R-type to get anything out of it (although they've got turbos now for the new one haven't they?).

I do like VW's understated styling, and Hondas are either Grandad cars or completely mad, there doesn't seem to be much middle ground. Residuals also play a big part in my car buying decisions too. You'll have to wait for a test drive.  :tongue:

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #1892 on: 25 March 2015, 12:43 »
MH  - many thanks for taking the time to tell this depressing story... I do hope a good resolution comes out of this for you - and fast!

I just wanted to cheer everyone else up - there's always someone else worse off than yourself (finding that hard to believe right now.  :grin:).

Resolution-wise I think the best I can hope for is that VW UK strongarm the dealership into applying Autoglym for nowt, rather than dipping into their own pockets and giving me a set of services or something. Seems in these situations VW UK just bully the dealership into giving something to the customer out of their own margin. I'm sure the dealership are every bit as keen to get my money banked and get my p/x sold as I am keen to be getting the R.

Hey you could always tell them to shove it and preorder a new type R, I have a certain soft spot for its lewdness but need a guinea pig to tell me how bearable it is :grin:

Not a Honda fan in general, didn't like having to wring the neck of my mate's 2009 R-type to get anything out of it (although they've got turbos now for the new one haven't they?).

I do like VW's understated styling, and Hondas are either Grandad cars or completely mad, there doesn't seem to be much middle ground. Residuals also play a big part in my car buying decisions too. You'll have to wait for a test drive.  :tongue:

Yeah theyve finally dumped the NA engines but i think the new turbo still revs pretty high (wonder how long that will last once mapped, hopefully longer than their F1 cars) should be out this summer, summat like 310 bhp with a 5.7 0-60 time sounds pretty cool to me, but I have no experience with them and no one else will for a while so tuning will be limited
2007: Leon PD170
2010: Leon CR170
2013: Golf GTI PP
2016: A45 AMG

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #1893 on: 25 March 2015, 12:46 »
MH - have you tried having a conversation with regards the cancelled R and trying to get it for the same price as the one you've ordered ie. not paying for the extras?  This wouldn't work with the additional cost of the DSG over the manual I wouldn't imagine, but you might get the rest chucked in for free?  That's how I got mine early (yes I paid more than I was originally going to, but no where near as much as the extras added up to that I hadn't originally specced).

Also, why the no on the DSG front?  It really is excellent.  It's the first auto car I've ever owned as I love a manual, but its great.
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1894 on: 25 March 2015, 12:54 »
MH - have you tried having a conversation with regards the cancelled R and trying to get it for the same price as the one you've ordered ie. not paying for the extras?  This wouldn't work with the additional cost of the DSG over the manual I wouldn't imagine, but you might get the rest chucked in for free?  That's how I got mine early (yes I paid more than I was originally going to, but no where near as much as the extras added up to that I hadn't originally specced).

Also, why the no on the DSG front?  It really is excellent.  It's the first auto car I've ever owned as I love a manual, but its great.

I asked how low could they go for the cancelled order and the salesman said i'd have to pay 80% of RRP for the toys and DSG box. Too much to be paying for things I wouldn't spec normally.

Just not a fan of the DSG (my dad is on his 4th DSG, so i've had plenty of go's at running one when he's left his car at mine to go on holiday from Newcastle airport) - it is technically brilliant at what it does, but it can't read minds. That 2% of the time that it doesn't do what I want it to is too much for me.

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #1895 on: 25 March 2015, 13:53 »
Don't accept free AG 'Lifeshine' - its not worth anything!

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1896 on: 25 March 2015, 14:04 »
It will be *such* an anticlimax when the Monkeyhanger R arrives, this saga just runs and runs and I admire the patience! I'm sure there's a lot more going on behind the scenes stress wise but it's been such a soap opera that it's compulsive reading!
I do feel for you MH!

And what have I done to my mk7 today? Put a good spare tyre on my front wheel as I had a nice blow out in a contraflow yesterday which obliterated the tyre. Great.
I'm not even sure of what I hit as going there again today in daylight I can't see anything but it's a road widening thing so could have been a temp cat's eye or a bit of unfinished tarmac or anything? Grrrrrrrr

For those considering 19" wheels - I've never had so many tyre issues than the last two or three years I've been running 19's. They look great but offer very little sympathy if you accidentally hit a pot hole or road debris.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1897 on: 25 March 2015, 15:58 »
I'm feeling a bit "meh" about it now, I need another test drive to remember what I'm changing for. The 19" ers in pothole season are a bit of a worry, but I had the same worries when 17" was the norm and I moved to 18" ers on the Scirocco. The Dunlop SP01s on the first Scirocco were very fragile - 3 sidewall bulgers in my first winter with the car. Not a bother with a tyre brand change.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1898 on: 25 March 2015, 16:06 »
For those considering 19" wheels - I've never had so many tyre issues than the last two or three years I've been running 19's. They look great but offer very little sympathy if you accidentally hit a pot hole or road debris.

I sort of thought the same as you about 19s having had the only 2 punctures I've ever had in the last 2 years whilst running 19s.   You certainly feel every lump and bump, but on both occasions the puncture turned out to be a nail in the tyre which could've happened with any wheel/tyre combo.  One things for sure, the road surface and condition has greatly deteriorated in the last few years, with potholes and deep ridges everywhere (certainly in my neck of the woods).  So I wouldn't put it all down to them being 19s.  I've specced them again on the R, mainly as I don't like Cadiz, and have no inclination to change.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1899 on: 25 March 2015, 17:38 »
I must admit Mme. B that I'd soec the Pretorias too, still.
The price of vanity eh?
C'est la vie
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner