Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785065 times)

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #1870 on: 23 March 2015, 09:59 »
So saturday (not today admittedly) I heard from a reliable source that he had heard of a conversation between an APR tech and an Audi tech and they were told that the turbo failures weve been having are because of the start-stop, something id heard before but up until this point had not believed too greatly. Seems the constant starting and stopping is damaging the shafts (or something) and over time we're all prone to it, dont know how this is supposedly fixed with the newer revs of turbo's either.

But thats not the strangest thing. So obviously I now drive around with my start stop disengaged but weirdly I (may be in my head) seem to think the car is faster.... probably going insane but be interesting if any one else notices this.

Also turned my soundaktor down to 40%, much better now, a lot less droney!
2007: Leon PD170
2010: Leon CR170
2013: Golf GTI PP
2016: A45 AMG

Offline RobS23GTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1871 on: 23 March 2015, 12:41 »
That's interesting Grahamfr, albeit a bit worrying.
Can you turn stop start off in the car menu or is it a manual job before each journey?
Current - Mk7 Golf GTI w/performance pack
Previous - VW Golf Mk6 GTD, Ford Fiesta ST, BMW M135i, VW Golf MK5 GTI

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #1872 on: 23 March 2015, 12:46 »
Can you turn stop start off in the car menu or is it a manual job before each journey?

There is a VCDS tweak that disables it permanently. Interesting developments GrahamFR, how reliable is your source?

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #1873 on: 23 March 2015, 12:49 »

Manual button jobby for now, be warned that switching to eco mode turns this back on, but there is a way of turning off by changing certain parameters on vcds - http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/disable-stop-start-vcds-tweak-94276.html

and i sound like a douche in the previous post, my 'source' was shark performance when i was there on saturday lol

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #1874 on: 23 March 2015, 12:52 »
Auto start/stop concerns about turbo chargers is an ancient story.

The long and the short of it is that the current systems have safeguards to counter it - if they didn't then VAG would be paying millions out in warranty claims. Nothing sharpens their minds more than having to put their hands in their pockets....
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline GrahamFR

• I live here
« Reply #1875 on: 23 March 2015, 12:54 »
Auto start/stop concerns about turbo chargers is an ancient story.

The long and the short of it is that the current systems have safeguards to counter it - if they didn't then VAG would be paying millions out in warranty claims. Nothing sharpens their minds more than having to put their hands in their pockets....

Well i see no reason i would be lied to, and something must be causing it fred, im not willing to take the risk and as i said, i seem faster lol

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1876 on: 23 March 2015, 12:58 »
Fired off a complaint email to VW UK on Friday afternoon, to moan about will have been an 8 month wait for the R. I was prompted to do this because the car has sat on anticipated BW16 for a month without change and I was expecting the stage 3 status on the tracker on Friday and it didn't happen. Rang VW UK to find it is now unconfirmed BW17. The main meat of the email was to find out once and for all the official line about how my order seems to have started from scratch on Dec 4th with adding on Prets (I know unofficially that the original order got built and Pulman have had it and sold it), hoping the admission of the truth would prompt some kind of goodwill gesture/apology.

My dad rang me this morning to say he had a text off VW UK saying they are looking into his complaint. FFS, they can't even get the customer right.  :rolleyes:

And I made the GTD shiny again with a much needed wash.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #1877 on: 23 March 2015, 13:15 »
Fired off a complaint email to VW UK on Friday afternoon, to moan about will have been an 8 month wait for the R. I was prompted to do this because the car has sat on anticipated BW16 for a month without change and I was expecting the stage 3 status on the tracker on Friday and it didn't happen. Rang VW UK to find it is now unconfirmed BW17. The main meat of the email was to find out once and for all the official line about how my order seems to have started from scratch on Dec 4th with adding on Prets (I know unofficially that the original order got built and Pulman have had it and sold it), hoping the admission of the truth would prompt some kind of goodwill gesture/apology.

My dad rang me this morning to say he had a text off VW UK saying they are looking into his complaint. FFS, they can't even get the customer right.  :rolleyes:

And I made the GTD shiny again with a much needed wash.

It certainly shouldn't be the case but if there is a lesson to be learnt regarding VW orders it seems to be make sure you have your spec right at the outset

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #1878 on: 23 March 2015, 13:37 »
Bloody hell, have they still not got this sorted ? I remember having exactly the same issues in 2013 when I ordered my GTD, and they screwed up the order and it slipped and slipped, and in the end was told to contact VWCS to take up the case.

Can't believe that getting on for 2 years later the same crap is happening !

Makes me really wonder if the next car will be a VAG, if once they have done the hard bit (i.e. the selling and got us agreed to purchase in the first place), that the supposed easy bit - confirming delivery and sticking to it, is as haphazard and disorganised as ever. Do they actually want to sell more cars ?

Are other marques just as bad or just VAG (my friends had exactly the same crap with his factory order Audi A4), and that's now 7 weeks later than confirmed with no explanation or apology.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #1879 on: 23 March 2015, 14:00 »
How come bmw can build you a new car from scratch in 6-8 weeks? My friend was going to order the Passat bi turbo until he was told it was minimum 20 weeks. He's now ordered a 5 series estate and been told 6 weeks. VW don't give a toss but they do it anyway as people will and are waiting.
« Last Edit: 23 March 2015, 15:08 by mcmaddy »
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.