Author Topic: Neaty - '90 16v  (Read 8044 times)

Offline Neaty

• Forum addict
Re: Neaty - '90 16v
« Reply #10 on: 31 March 2006, 00:58 »
Some random pictures:

M3 rear lenses that I bought last september as part of a deal with a de-badged grill and crystal headlights, I might smoke the top part and give them a try:

thus, i bought some of these:

a bargain at £5! these are so you can avoid having the fried egg look:

and have this instead:

not bad i dnt think.

The front panel i bought a week or two ago, its a bit dodgy as it has a chunk missing out of it and is a bit battered but Ithink i will give it a coat of matt black paint to tidy it up a bit for now until I get a brand new one.

The front boge turbo gas shocks from ebay:

and here are the Mark 3 style handles that I randomly bought for a bargain of £14!

« Last Edit: 08 November 2006, 23:38 by Neaty »

Offline Neaty

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 28 June 2006, 19:52 »
Found this thread languishing in the depths of page 2!  :laugh: thus time for a quick update.

Getting fed up of looking at it sat on my drive in the state that it is everyday on the way to work and having to drive smokey the bandit ( the car that uses more oil and water than it does fuel).

In terms of whats needed to rebuild the front end I have pretty much got everything. Picking a wing up off my mate when he has taken it off the car which is dead straight and has no rot.

things to do:

- First things first, charge the battery as its flat, very flat!! I hope the alarm and immob will work again after all this time (does anyone know if there is any reason why it shouldn't? it has been stood with a flat battery for 6 months)
 - Once the body work is looking pretty again, the suspension needs sorting - Need to buy rear shocks and G60 top mounts from euro carparts
 - Need to sort the CV joint out, first of all check if it is that that is knocking then buy that.
 - Give it the once over before getting it VIC checked. (what sort of things do they check? are they strict)
 - MOT which i can get done easily (it pays to know an MOT tester who is willing to turn a blind eye to any minor discrepancies :laugh:)

Once all the nitty gritty is sorted I can start fettling with it and fitting the bits that have taken up most of my bedroom floor space as there is no more space in my wardrobes.

Hopefully next time I post in here I will actually have some progress to report on.

Thanks for reading :afro:
« Last Edit: 08 November 2006, 23:40 by Neaty »

Offline Neaty

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 29 July 2006, 03:07 »
The Re-Birth begins now......

Slight change of plan, has been a bad last 2 months financially so instead of sending it over to Mr Hardcor3 and my mate being made unemployed it makes sense to pay him to do it as he is cheaper and will give him something to do all day. I do want it fully resprayed at some point and let Hardcor3 work his magic, but I just want to get it back on the road for the time being. Just reading through my own thread has made me realise how much I miss driving it.

So whilst I was at work today the magic car fixing fairies came and had a dabble, well Richard did who is a bit of a fairy!  :laugh:

First thing he did was take off all the bent stuff to leave it with a practically bare front end:

My dad now has some space in the garage as most of the bits are on the car....and I have some more floor space in my bedroom now too!  :grin:

wing now on....

....and too is the bumper.

It is a relief to finally see some progress. Next up I think is to fit the new bonnet so we can check that everything is lined up properly. I think a bit of jiggery pokery is needed with a hammer as far as the front crossmember is concerned but nothing to hard. Which, should take place this weekend at some point.

The its off upto the lock up to be prepped and sprayed.

Thanks for reading, stay tuned!

Neaty

p.s apologise for some of the pics being a bit ropey, these camera phones arent what they are cracked up to be!!

« Last Edit: 08 November 2006, 23:41 by Neaty »

Offline Neaty

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 28 August 2006, 21:20 »
Even though that the E38 target is well and truly out of the window still thought I would give you a little update.

Valver has been moved from my drive to the shiny new lock up as you can see below and is tooked away next to the scirocco. This should help matters because now its where its going to be painted next thing to do is to actually paint the thing.

I finally got round to buying the paint and hopefully next time you will see this paint it will be actually on the car, not placed on the car!  :laugh:

oh and I found out that my car is Royal Blue not Helios blue! When I went to go and collect the paint there was some confusion as to what paint i was collecting. So the bonnet that I travelled to Leicestershire for coz it was in the right colour was a waste of time....you live and learn ay!

Offline Neaty

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 13 September 2006, 17:39 »
well this week I have mostly been prepping. Paint is due to go on on thursday so hopefully all should go to plan.

Old bent bonnet went off so I took everything I needed from that one, that what I presume is sound deadening thing underneath and all the clips etc and the rubber stoppers and transferred them onto the new bonnet.

Then started to rub it down, I say started because thats all I did and got someone else to do the rest  :grin:

more rubbing down

and some masking up

When I go up to the lock up on thursday I will take my camera as my phone is rubbish in that sort of light and most others for that matter too.

stay tuned  :wink:
« Last Edit: 16 September 2006, 13:38 by Neaty »

Offline Neaty

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 15 September 2006, 19:24 »
Paint!

wing painted, doesnt look to bad i dont think looks a bit light but when its lacquered it will look fine.

bumper painted too, ready for lacquer

and then bonnet ready for paint in this pic which should be all done saturday/sunday

I have been doing some pricing up for all the bits that I need too for the oily bits

from Eurocarparts:

CV Joint Outer
CV boot outer
Track Rod x2
Track Rod End x2

Total cost £98.65 inclusive of vat

from Venommotorsport

Eibach springs -40mm

£126.90

from VWspares.com

Rear Boge turbo gas shocks

£66.57

TOTAL COST = £292.12....ouch!

well its got to be done.

plus on top of that there is MOT, VIC check and car Tax to pay!! I think I might have to make a little visit to the credit card shop!  :wink:

Offline Neaty

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 24 September 2006, 19:02 »
No further progress with paint etc but as I have a week off this week I am going to MOT it. The garage wont know whats hit it, The 8 valve needs MOTing too as does my dads mark 3 and my mates T25!

Providing that I can fit this driveshaft from an older valver all should be well, please see the below link.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=47512.0

Offline Neaty

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 30 September 2006, 16:12 »
Only a minor set back to report on today really.

Despite lacquering the wing and bumper it is still too light so I have taken the fuel filler flap thing off and took it down to the paint suppliers for them to match it.

I have also arranged for me to send the bonnet and the wing to a professional sprayer who I know from motorclub next tuesday so should have it back by the weekend. So it should be a near perfect match and a near perfect spray job!

Stay tuned

Offline Neaty

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 24 October 2006, 19:16 »
panels dropped off yesterday evening, just 2 weeks and 2 hours later than planned....oh well  :tongue:

Should have them back by the end of the week.....(he says)

Offline Neaty

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 18 April 2007, 00:15 »
well this project has come to a rather abrupt end which really was out of my control.

thanks to the gobsh!te that owns my old unit making us move out I simply do not have the time nor space to carry on with this.

so.....i am going to either sell the car as it is or break it. Expect to see lots of threads in the forsale section if it is the latter.

End of summer or there abouts I shall be in the market for a new mk2 16v.