Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2791365 times)

Offline MjrSharpe

• Here all the time
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #9640 on: 31 July 2019, 23:25 »
MjrSharpe
On a separate note, I love the racing line BBK you installed. How are you getting on with it?
Paul

Thanks for the feedback on the jb1/4. Be interesting to drive back to back with the dtuk box and see how they both feel. I would live a racingline / revo map, but not sure there would be a great difference although based on your experience perhaps there would.
BBK is great:) feels very oem initially but has extra bite when required too. Love the look and it may be in my head but the turn in etc feels more responsive - possibly due to lighter calipers etc
2016 GTI - Tornado Red, M52 remap, DTUK Pedal box, dv+, racingline turbo elbow, forge turbo muffler delete, racingline springs, racingline stage 2 BBK, novus 0.1 wheels, injen induction kit ,st rear anti roll bar, TT short shift, 034 motorsports dogbone upper / lower inserts, sachs organic clutch, custom stainless steel exhaust, res delete, leyo bezels, oettinger rear spoiler, maxton splitter, golf r rear lights

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #9641 on: 01 August 2019, 07:43 »
I wouldn't have wasted your money on a dtuk box. Jb4 if you really wanted something removable but a proper remap is always better. Plus the customer service from dtuk is horrendous if you have any issues. You get what you pay for  :whistle:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline MjrSharpe

• Here all the time
« Reply #9642 on: 01 August 2019, 08:26 »
I wouldn't have wasted your money on a dtuk box. Jb4 if you really wanted something removable but a proper remap is always better. Plus the customer service from dtuk is horrendous if you have any issues. You get what you pay for  :whistle:

In fairness the difference in price between a revo/ racinline map and a dtuk box isn't that much. I got the box not long after getting the car and wanted something more warranty friendly. The car has just went out of warranty though, so this wouldn't be an issue any more. I did have one issue with box which turned out to be the wiring harness, but I found dtuk very good to deal with; they changed the whole unit and allowed me to upgrade to the bluetooth version which hadn't been available when I first bought it.
2016 GTI - Tornado Red, M52 remap, DTUK Pedal box, dv+, racingline turbo elbow, forge turbo muffler delete, racingline springs, racingline stage 2 BBK, novus 0.1 wheels, injen induction kit ,st rear anti roll bar, TT short shift, 034 motorsports dogbone upper / lower inserts, sachs organic clutch, custom stainless steel exhaust, res delete, leyo bezels, oettinger rear spoiler, maxton splitter, golf r rear lights

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #9643 on: 01 August 2019, 08:42 »
On the topic of map vs tuning box, I think the JB4 is the closest to a map but agree with McMaddy, a remap is the better option. I’ve driven an APR stage 1 R and is was noticeably quicker than my JB4 Clubsport. One point to note, I was running map2 on the JB4, which is generic. Map 6 allows you to custom tune and this is much closer to a remap and there is so much information on values with different hardware mods and as mentioned the support offered by George @ BMS is fantastic, so if you like to tinker this is a consideration.

If your car is a long term proposition I personally would remap but The JB4 can be removed and resold, which is another consideration.
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #9644 on: 01 August 2019, 08:54 »
Good to hear you are enjoying the new brakes and I am sure the reduced weight will improve the turn in. I’ve read each calliper is around 4kg lighter than stock so 8 kg of unsprung weight should be noticeable. Did you do any weight comparison with the OEM components? The discs should be lighter too. What pads came with the kit? I was going to upgrade to CSS discs and fast road pads but the racing line upgrade is very tempting.
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline MjrSharpe

• Here all the time
« Reply #9645 on: 01 August 2019, 10:27 »
Good to hear you are enjoying the new brakes and I am sure the reduced weight will improve the turn in. I’ve read each calliper is around 4kg lighter than stock so 8 kg of unsprung weight should be noticeable. Did you do any weight comparison with the OEM components? The discs should be lighter too. What pads came with the kit? I was going to upgrade to CSS discs and fast road pads but the racing line upgrade is very tempting.

I didn't do a comparison at the time, but I still have all the original parts so I must give them a weigh and see what they come out at (mine is not PP, so smaller brakes). Racing line kit is fantastic and really good quality. Unfortunately mine came supplied with brake lines for a MK 5, but Racing line were very good and rectified this very quickly. The pads themselves are supplied by Racing line but I'm not sure who the manufacturer is. There appears to be different compounds available on request as well.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9646 on: 01 August 2019, 12:48 »
Those little ramps look handy :)
Is the JB1 similar to the JB4? I had been deliberating between of these or a DTUK box, eventually going for the later. I imagine they are both fairly similar?

The ramps are very handy for that bottom plug!

The JB1 is simpler than the JB4, I can’t remember what version mine is but it has 4 plugs.

I too had a DTUK box (sorry mcmaddy) on my 2013 GTI which was ok, it did a job and didn’t fry the clutch as it was no torque monster. Mine was an early DTUK box as I like to try new stuff having had ECU remaps on numerous previous cars. The downside of those early DTUK boxes was the need to take a power feed off the battery. My battery died a death at just over 12 months as I was using the car irregularly and kept forgetting to unplug the tuning box.
The DTUK box tended to run lean with the engine playing catch up as there’s no direct fuelling management.

After extensive research I went with a JB1 when I got my R. I’ve kept it on the standard map as really all I wanted was a bit of extra low to mid range shove living in a hilly part of the country. I’m not a traffic lights drag racer.
The JB1 felt smoother than the DTUK and did all I needed it to do so the data cable and map adjustments were never used.

The JB4 has the AFR tap so would be smoother still and slightly more powerful out of the box.
The beauty of the JB4 is the huge amount of adjustability and user fine tuning that can accommodate further bolt on mods without having to traipse back to tuners for map adjustments. There are loads of owners that can give advice from all around the world in dedicated forum threads with rolling road and data logging backup on top of the knowledge and advice from BMS themselves.

There’s probably little to nothing in it between most OBD remaps and a JB4, it’s merely down to personal preferences of how you want to get where you want to be, and whether you like getting your hands dirty! 

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline rwleigh

• Here all the time
  • Richard.
Battery check.
« Reply #9647 on: 07 August 2019, 12:31 »
Connected my trusty CTEK charger today to give the battery a check.

Golf GTI CS40 #010 | Manual | 5 door | Pure White | Car-Net | 90% tints | Winter Pack | REVO stage 1

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #9648 on: 07 August 2019, 13:39 »
I got it back after a five-and-a-half week stay at the dealers!

Rattling door panels and creaking driver's seat, on top of yearly service.

Was waiting for the seat leather for over a month.

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9649 on: 10 August 2019, 11:58 »
Mine had a (minor) service  and MOT last week, and I had the air conditioning serviced as well.

All ok, but they (Peter Cooper, Southampton main dealer) discovered that the water pump was leaking slightly, which would explain the slight drop in coolant level.

The car is a 2014 model, and I took out the extended warranty through VW once the "Die Welt Auto" 12 month warranty expired, so a new water pump and installation (3.5 hours labour, apparently) should be covered by the warranty.