Author Topic: The DVLA Information Thread  (Read 134489 times)

Offline dan7

• I live here
  • 85 T25 camper, 90 Mk2 16v, 90 Caddy
Re: The DVLA Information Thread
« Reply #50 on: 08 June 2010, 10:19 »
Question for BWL.
I know of a Mk1 GTi in a battered old shed, under a cover, which looks like its been there a while. I knocked on the front door of the derelict style house-no answer. Knocked on a few neighbours' doors. Lady answers and says that two builders own the house, but they've been abroad for at least two years! She thinks the Golf was a previous tenant's car. Sooooo, if I was to 'make a claim' on the 'abandoned' car, ie; apply for the logbook, where would I stand regards ownership etc? If the DVLA write to (possibly) the empty house and no-one declares ownership, could I legally have the car?

Offline mysticblue

• Just got here
« Reply #51 on: 09 June 2010, 11:06 »
hi ,how would i find out if a mates old car is still on the road and its last /current keepers details as he would like to see about buying it back

Offline bored_Welsh_lad

• I live here
« Reply #52 on: 21 June 2010, 04:30 »
Question for BWL.
I know of a Mk1 GTi in a battered old shed, under a cover, which looks like its been there a while. I knocked on the front door of the derelict style house-no answer. Knocked on a few neighbours' doors. Lady answers and says that two builders own the house, but they've been abroad for at least two years! She thinks the Golf was a previous tenant's car. Sooooo, if I was to 'make a claim' on the 'abandoned' car, ie; apply for the logbook, where would I stand regards ownership etc? If the DVLA write to (possibly) the empty house and no-one declares ownership, could I legally have the car?

Apply for the logbook, they will send a letter to whoever the current keeper is, they have 21days to challenge.. if they dont boom you become the owner..I did this before. This is where there is a loophole so to speak, because say i know you are away for 4 months, i could tow your car away, apply for logbook, 21 days later its mine, then the previous and rightful owner would have to take it through the courts to get the vehicle back as it would become a civil proceeding as you would be the rightful "keeper" of the vehicle.
Mk3 Golf Gti:Full Milltek system and Decat,K&N filter,mk2 Cam,-1.5 degree camber shims, borbet a's, toyo proxies,hot tuning coils, brembo vented discs, greenstuff pads...Soon to have Eaton Power

mk3 16v 5dr Gti,mintex extreme pads,drilled/grooved discs,lowered,cat back powerflow system,omp panel filter with modified airbox,debadged grill, started prep for spraying, lots to come :D

Bumper Vents :D

Offline bored_Welsh_lad

• I live here
« Reply #53 on: 21 June 2010, 04:33 »
hi ,how would i find out if a mates old car is still on the road and its last /current keepers details as he would like to see about buying it back

I would start here http://www.askmid.com/ and see if the vehicle is insured, then i think the next port of call is to write to the DVLA under the freedom of information act you can request the current keepers information i believe. I will check with the missus and get back to you on that one though.
Mk3 Golf Gti:Full Milltek system and Decat,K&N filter,mk2 Cam,-1.5 degree camber shims, borbet a's, toyo proxies,hot tuning coils, brembo vented discs, greenstuff pads...Soon to have Eaton Power

mk3 16v 5dr Gti,mintex extreme pads,drilled/grooved discs,lowered,cat back powerflow system,omp panel filter with modified airbox,debadged grill, started prep for spraying, lots to come :D

Offline dan7

• I live here
  • 85 T25 camper, 90 Mk2 16v, 90 Caddy
« Reply #54 on: 23 June 2010, 18:06 »
Question for BWL.

Apply for the logbook, they will send a letter to whoever the current keeper is, they have 21days to challenge.. if they dont boom you become the owner..I did this before. This is where there is a loophole so to speak, because say i know you are away for 4 months, i could tow your car away, apply for logbook, 21 days later its mine, then the previous and rightful owner would have to take it through the courts to get the vehicle back as it would become a civil proceeding as you would be the rightful "keeper" of the vehicle.
Thanks for the advice mate. Do you know if I have to pay £25 for the v5?

Offline bored_Welsh_lad

• I live here
« Reply #55 on: 24 June 2010, 09:48 »
yeah you will have to as you don't currently hold a logbook, btw, if the keeper turns around and says its mine and no you cant become the owner you will lose the costs of applying for the logbook.

Offline robiwill

• I live here
« Reply #56 on: 16 July 2010, 19:53 »
hi mate can you help? I have just bought an 8v mk3 colour concept. on thre logbook and on hpi check its comming up as a 16V on the logbook no record of engine change and the engine number is logged as agg which is the correct code. if I send this off to your good selfs with a covering letter can it be altered to remove the 16v as insurance will be higher and I was sure that colour concepts where named as such on the logbook I await your reply cheers Robin

Offline bored_Welsh_lad

• I live here
« Reply #57 on: 22 July 2010, 08:57 »
hi mate can you help? I have just bought an 8v mk3 colour concept. on thre logbook and on hpi check its comming up as a 16V on the logbook no record of engine change and the engine number is logged as agg which is the correct code. if I send this off to your good selfs with a covering letter can it be altered to remove the 16v as insurance will be higher and I was sure that colour concepts where named as such on the logbook I await your reply cheers Robin

If you send it in with a covering letter they will pull out the original paperwork that set up the record and will probably find that the wrong model code was input hense the 16v tag... This would have been picked up when they introduced the new "computorised mot's" exept that they said as long as the model was "VW Golf" they werent worried.. Shame really, but hell of a lot more paperwork

Offline dTEA

• I live here
  • back in an MK5
« Reply #58 on: 31 July 2010, 11:57 »
FOA Bored Welsh Lad.

Any ideas of how to get the tax rate changed for a 1.7 diesel Corsa changed from £210 to the proper amount of £115.  A friend basically bought an ex-MOD car that was a UK car bought from Vauxhall but first registration was for one of the UK bases abroad.  On return the DVLA have wrongly coded it as a higher emission vehicle but given it a new Reg etc. My friend has a letterhead from Vauxhall stating the original emissions, and the CO2 emissions from the MOT obviously are lower.  However she is being told to py for a Certificate of Conformity  before they can make the permanent change to the log book!?!?  WTF?

Any ideas??

Edition 30 / T5 T32 Kombi

Offline bored_Welsh_lad

• I live here
« Reply #59 on: 03 August 2010, 03:03 »
dvla normally take corrections to the c02 emissons from headed note paper from manufacturer (which is what you already have) but if there are other 'grad ved' details missing from the vehicle record because of the ex-mod then yes a COC is needed but vauxhall are well know for trying to charge big money for them, there is one guy who deals with them at vauxhall normally and he is a right idiot think his name maybe jonathan bell' not too sure, best thing to do it to complain to his manager via customer services at vauxhall to see if you can get it for free, but first off i think you should find out from the dvla exactly how much info is missing from the vehicle record, because if it is only the co2 figure then go back to the clerk who wrote you the letter asking you for COC and ask for the manager and threaten to write a complaint advising that you want the evidence you have submitted to be taken into consideration again and a full explanation as to why it is not enough