Author Topic: R's first detail  (Read 27697 times)

Offline TwoSheds

• GTI forum regular
Re: R's first detail
« Reply #30 on: 19 October 2015, 20:53 »

Hi Booth,
Thanks for the write up and pics.

Very useful tips for me as it looks like I would have made a rookie detailing mistake otherwise of applying the sealant as a final stage after the wax rather than before.

Thanks.

It depends. What sealant did you use?

The rule of thumb is Sealant - Glaze (if using) - Wax. Because many sealants won't bond with wax if they are applied on top.

That said, many of the new nano sealants will let you apply wax on top.

I have GTech C2v3 sealant which I shall be using so I'm assuming it will take wax on top as C2v3 is nanotech.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #31 on: 19 October 2015, 21:12 »
Rebecca, you have absolutely nailed the care of a black car in a way I've never seen before. I can see why you love it with results like that!  :cool:

Try Gtechniq C5, you won't regret it  :wink:

Thanks Dan.  :smiley:

I will try the G5. I'm also getting some C2V3 but for a try out on the Amarok. I still love my sealant/wax combo but open to new stuff.

That small top up list of stuff I need is getting longer by the hour.  I'm single-handedly keeping cleanyourcar in business I think.  :laugh:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #32 on: 19 October 2015, 21:16 »

Hi Booth,

Very useful tips for me as it looks like I would have made a rookie detailing mistake otherwise of applying the sealant as a final stage after the wax rather than before.

Thanks.

The rule of thumb is Sealant - Glaze (if using) - Wax. Because many sealants won't bond with wax if they are applied on top.

I have GTech C2v3 sealant which I shall be using so I'm assuming it will take wax on top as C2v3 is nanotech.

Ah, in that case you're ok. C2V3 is quite versatile, and is a sealant that can unusually be applied on top of wax, or wax can go on top of it.  In fact I think it's better to put it on top of wax as you have.  Usually it's the other way round, but nano coatings are different.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #33 on: 19 October 2015, 21:24 »
Blackmass how come you're waiting for a clay cloth when you've got an AF Clay bar already?

Offline Blackmass

• Not said much yet
« Reply #34 on: 19 October 2015, 21:39 »
Blackmass how come you're waiting for a clay cloth when you've got an AF Clay bar already?

Compare and contrast. It's the first time I've used clay so I wanted to be in position to try a couple of different options.
« Last Edit: 19 October 2015, 21:51 by Blackmass »

Offline TwoSheds

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #35 on: 19 October 2015, 21:42 »

Hi Booth,

Thanks.

Ah, in that case you're ok. C2V3 is quite versatile, and is a sealant that can unusually be applied on top of wax, or wax can go on top of it.  In fact I think it's better to put it on top of wax as you have.  Usually it's the other way round, but nano coatings are different.

Ok thanks.

I havn't put the sealant or wax on yet but would have put the sealant on last until I read your full post with pics.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #36 on: 19 October 2015, 22:03 »

Compare and contrast. It's the first time I've used clay so I wanted to be in position to try a couple of different options.

Am interested to hear which you prefer, but IMO, clay cloths/mitts are the way forward!
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #37 on: 19 October 2015, 22:08 »
Ok thanks.

I havn't put the sealant or wax on yet but would have put the sealant on last until I read your full post with pics.

I've read up quite a bit on C2V3 over last few months, for this very reason as I'm a bit of a die-hard wax fan and was interested to know if it renders wax pointless.  Still not sure but if I was using it, from what I've read, I'd put the wax on first.  For me I don't know as I love finishing with wax, but I intend to try the C2V3 on partner's Amarok and do a panel with wax on top to see if it adds anything.

Let us know how you get on.  :smiley:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #38 on: 22 October 2015, 16:46 »
The upside to the constant rain this week is the beading  Got a few pics after a few hours rain yesterday morning.  Car has one coat of Poorboys sealant and a single coat of DJ Blue Velvet Pro wax on at the the moment. Still want to get at least another coat of wax. Excuse crap iPhone pics.

2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #39 on: 22 October 2015, 16:56 »
And later that night, on leaving work.........smaller uniform beads. I do love a good bead.

And after the quick drive home:

2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual