Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 556106 times)

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #930 on: 16 March 2017, 21:37 »
@Watts - Stunning work you done there, it really does look awesome.  :cool:

I'm sure your be able to shift that mark with said products, I had one similar on the MK6 but luckily it was sorted with the panel wipe.
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #931 on: 16 March 2017, 21:55 »
Great job Watts, look fantastic.  Love TR when it's all glossied up with a good wax/sealant.  :cool:

If solvent or IPA/panel wipe won't shift that mark, sounds like the mark is into the clearcoat so try some finishing polish on it.  Something like Meguiars #205 Ultra Finishing Polish is a good one and suitable for hand of machine use. http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/car-polish-compounds/meguiars-205-ultra-finishing-polish-8oz/prod_823.html   It has only a slight cut so should be fine.  If doing it by hand apply it on a foam applicator pad (clean car obviously) and work it back and forth across the area until the polish starts to break down.  You might need to do several passes as hand polishing can take a bit of effort.  Then remove polish residue and inspect with an LED light to see progress, if necessary go over it again until it's gone.  Good luck, let us know how you fare.

Thanks for that, will order some and update. Hopefully I won't get carried away like Father Ted....

Haha! :laugh: Knowing when to call it quits is an art.

Unfortunately an art I don't possess :rolleyes:

@Watts - Stunning work you done there, it really does look awesome.  :cool:

I'm sure your be able to shift that mark with said products, I had one similar on the MK6 but luckily it was sorted with the panel wipe.

Cheers Mr GTD, it's not a disaster, many probably wouldn't notice but, well I'm sure you know what I mean.

Thinking about getting a clay bar and DA next, really notice the difference in the new paint being so smooth and reflections are ultra sharp compared with the original paint. If I had really deep pockets a full top quality respray would be on the cards but those pockets still elude me....
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #932 on: 16 March 2017, 22:45 »
@Watts, Looks great; super shiny :cool:

Glad you're happy with your repairs and the quality of the new paintwork (looks good in your photos). But respray? - noooooo!, surely not necessary on a car as youthful as yours that looks as good as it does. If the original paintwork looks a little below par compared to the new paint, a good polish with a DA would soon put that right. Buying a machine polisher is quite a large investment, but using it to polish your car is very satisfying and with a little practice, you can get very good results. Much cheaper than a respray too!

Bought mine 3 years ago and I'm really pleased I did. It probably paid for itself after a couple of uses when you consider what a professional retailer would charge to do a correction or enhancement detail on your car.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #933 on: 17 March 2017, 14:03 »
@Watts, Looks great; super shiny :cool:

Glad you're happy with your repairs and the quality of the new paintwork (looks good in your photos). But respray? - noooooo!, surely not necessary on a car as youthful as yours that looks as good as it does. If the original paintwork looks a little below par compared to the new paint, a good polish with a DA would soon put that right. Buying a machine polisher is quite a large investment, but using it to polish your car is very satisfying and with a little practice, you can get very good results. Much cheaper than a respray too!

Bought mine 3 years ago and I'm really pleased I did. It probably paid for itself after a couple of uses when you consider what a professional retailer would charge to do a correction or enhancement detail on your car.

Cheers SRGTD, I won't be going down the route of a respray but having said that I have got three panels done already.....

It really does need a clay and polish now so it's either a professional job or a purchase, would like to do it myself but I am a bit clumsy and impatient at times but I'll have to decide soon as it'd be nice to have it all sorted long before the summer.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Peter W

• GTI forum regular
  • 35 edition
« Reply #934 on: 18 March 2017, 08:04 »
Here are a few more from the deep clean... I will post up some outside car shots later as I'm taking the Golf for a well deserved blast  :smiley:

35 Edition | Deep Black Pearl | DSG | RNS510 | Leather | 19" Glendales | Lux & winter pack | F&R PDS + rear camera | Xenon & LED F&R
Michelin Pilot Super Sports PS4 | Stage 1

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
« Reply #935 on: 18 March 2017, 08:44 »
Looks great Peter.

I'm liking the close ups of the Glendales  :cool:
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline Peter W

• GTI forum regular
  • 35 edition
« Reply #936 on: 18 March 2017, 15:07 »
Thanks Mr GTD, now going to leave it in a work car park for 5days while I'm away on business.

35 Edition | Deep Black Pearl | DSG | RNS510 | Leather | 19" Glendales | Lux & winter pack | F&R PDS + rear camera | Xenon & LED F&R
Michelin Pilot Super Sports PS4 | Stage 1

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
« Reply #937 on: 18 March 2017, 17:25 »
^^^hopefully it won't suffer from bird lime while your away....

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #938 on: 18 March 2017, 18:11 »
^^^hopefully it won't suffer from bird lime while your away....

Just what I was thinking :grin: Beautiful job though, looks amazing Peter :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #939 on: 18 March 2017, 18:35 »
Looking superb Peter.  Top job on the deep clean, must have been hard work but very satisfying when you see the car looking so good.  Ahhh, the lovely Glendales........looking pristine too.  :cool: :cool: :cool:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11