Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2811119 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #6770 on: 10 June 2017, 18:22 »
Its good stuff Booth, I had a creak on the dash of my wife merc, slipped in a little of this and bingo !

Yeah I know, used it on my mk6 for same problem.  Never without a bottle.  If you have a Golf, you should have a bottle of Krytox, lol.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6771 on: 10 June 2017, 18:23 »
Good tips, thanks for posting, mine is creaking worse than ever despite a few coats of the stuff - I think I've been too mean with it.

How frugal were you with it? 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #6772 on: 10 June 2017, 18:30 »
I'm amazed you lasted this long before needing to lube those seals. I had to do that within a matter of months of getting the car. Same with the previous.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #6773 on: 10 June 2017, 18:36 »
Good tips, thanks for posting, mine is creaking worse than ever despite a few coats of the stuff - I think I've been too mean with it.

Fingertip approach and only around the top of the door seals, not down the sides. It usually helps eliminate most noise but lasts only about a week. Also wasn't doing the felt seals until a week or two ago, all I have are streaks down the glass and more noise than ever! I'll have another go following your tips and hopefully that should sort it.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6774 on: 10 June 2017, 19:11 »
I'm amazed you lasted this long before needing to lube those seals. I had to do that within a matter of months of getting the car. Same with the previous.

So am I Joe, longer than I expected, the seals in the mk6 needed doing after 16 months so I got away with an extra 4 months with the R, lol. I think it's because (and this can actually work against you too) I often wax around the inside of the door (not the seals), which stops the waterfall of rain off the roof but also seems to keep seal creaking at bay for longer, but people have had this actually cause creaking.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6775 on: 10 June 2017, 19:15 »

Fingertip approach and only around the top of the door seals, not down the sides. It usually helps eliminate most noise but lasts only about a week. Also wasn't doing the felt seals until a week or two ago, all I have are streaks down the glass and more noise than ever! I'll have another go following your tips and hopefully that should sort it.

Do the lot Watts.  Basically where there's contact with rubber/seal/felt where the door closes, it gets Krytox'd. Key is to make sure they are wiped down with IPA first as if they are greasy or have wax on then the oil won't absorb properly.  If it rains you will get some wreaking but wiping off excess after application minimises this.
« Last Edit: 10 June 2017, 19:17 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #6776 on: 10 June 2017, 19:30 »

That's because you live in the west of Ireland and Rebecca lives in the southeast of England Joe :whistle:
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #6777 on: 10 June 2017, 22:02 »

That's because you live in the west of Ireland and Rebecca lives in the southeast of England Joe :whistle:

Ha, that could be a factor.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6778 on: 11 June 2017, 15:40 »
Cleaned it.

2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline dereks

• Here all the time
« Reply #6779 on: 11 June 2017, 15:55 »
Looks amazing^ was in the dealer today to hopefully change the GTi to a used R left it with them to find a suitable spec.