Author Topic: Stop start stopped  (Read 5512 times)

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
Re: Stop start stopped
« Reply #40 on: 19 May 2021, 23:36 »
i cant stand STOP/START. the poor battery and starter motor!!

Aren't batteries like this designed to run with stop/start? I imagine the starter motor too? So surely it won't do any harm as that's what they're made to do and they're not the same as on a standard car without it
If you believe that stop/start does no harm to starting motor and battery fair play to you. There’s a reason my battery lasted almost 8 years on my GTi and most here are having trouble with theirs after 2/3. Each to their own tho. I can’t stand stop start. Have it permanently disabled on the wife’s E class wagon also
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #41 on: 20 May 2021, 03:16 »
i cant stand STOP/START. the poor battery and starter motor!!

Aren't batteries like this designed to run with stop/start? I imagine the starter motor too? So surely it won't do any harm as that's what they're made to do and they're not the same as on a standard car without it
If you believe that stop/start does no harm to starting motor and battery fair play to you. There’s a reason my battery lasted almost 8 years on my GTi and most here are having trouble with theirs after 2/3. Each to their own tho.

And this is precisely why I turn off stop start on every trip.  Every car battery I've owned has lasted ~8 years - longer in my last GTI (mk5).  With the new stop start systems it seems 3 year, often less is the standard.  For me the economics of stop start do not stack up, as these S/S batteries are freaking expensive.  All for a thimble of petrol saved per week.

1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #42 on: 20 May 2021, 07:34 »
I've said it before and I'll say it again.... its not about a X amount of fuel cost savings for you, its about a small percentage (its about 5%) decrease in carbon dioxide emissions across Europe. In 2015 the average car across the EU emitted 1.2 tonnes of CO2 per year and there are roughly 260 million of them.

5% of 1.2 tonnes times 260 million equals 15.6 million tonnes of Co2 per year.

And thats probably a conservative estimate.

Until someone waves a magic wand and fixes the overall problem, all we can do is to try to slow it here, slow it there and 15.6 million tonnes is a good chunk just by giving you a little annoyance.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #43 on: 20 May 2021, 11:06 »
Probably the reason so many on here have batteries going so quickly is because of VW fitting second rate EFB batteries instead of AGM. Low use during the pandemic won't have helped either. Having said that, my mum's Mini has stop/start and is almost 7 years old but is still on its original battery.
7.5 GTD

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #44 on: 20 May 2021, 11:57 »
I've said it before and I'll say it again.... its not about a X amount of fuel cost savings for you, its about a small percentage (its about 5%) decrease in carbon dioxide emissions across Europe. In 2015 the average car across the EU emitted 1.2 tonnes of CO2 per year and there are roughly 260 million of them.

5% of 1.2 tonnes times 260 million equals 15.6 million tonnes of Co2 per year.

And thats probably a conservative estimate.

Until someone waves a magic wand and fixes the overall problem, all we can do is to try to slow it here, slow it there and 15.6 million tonnes is a good chunk just by giving you a little annoyance.

You do know ye are not in the EU anymore right?! :whistle:
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #45 on: 20 May 2021, 12:20 »
Don't be daft.... I am using those figures to show you what that annoying start stop does on a macro scale because the numbers for vehicles and emmissions are available as a dataset for "EU". I could have used USA or China or some other large dataset, but its easier to think of something more akin to your own life.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC