Author Topic: plasticfantastic - '91 2 litre project  (Read 3458 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
plasticfantastic - '91 2 litre project
« on: 02 November 2008, 15:33 »
:)
« Last Edit: 02 November 2008, 15:41 by jv »
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline plasticfantastic

• Here all the time
Re: plasticfantastic - '91 2 litre project
« Reply #1 on: 02 November 2008, 17:11 »
Cheers for the thread jv!  :laugh:

Hi all,

I'll start from the beginning and bring you upto date! We'll start with the car.....

Shes a 1991 1.8 8v GTi, i Bought the car off flebay back in september for 550 pounds. My main reason for buying the car was it was fairly local to me, and as it turns out after recieving the log book, its always been a local car. im the 4th owner and she's done 184,000miles.

Overall shes a fairly solid car, no serious rust to speak of, and still mostly standard. Apart from a few tasty additions such as the heat shield! :sick:

The inside of the car is pretty much the same story,

the engine was aparently rebuilt around 20,000miles ago, and at that time the piper 276 cam and vernier where fitted, and the K&N induction kit. Also i was told that the head had been ported and polished, but upon inspection i found this wasnt true! And then the race preperations were finished off with a nice coat of red enamel paint............. :sick:

When i bought the car i knew that the brakes where shot all round (the drive home in the rain confirmed this :huh:)

My plans for the car have changed recently as this was going to be a winter project, where i was hoping to strip most of the car and start with a respray, as the paint on the drivers side and bonnet are pretty bad...

The worst of the rust is around the scuttle plug....

But as i said my plans have now changed so the respray is going to have to wait! After having to walk out of my job last week, i will now need to use the car to commute to my new job, which i will hopefully be starting in a week or two. This is how the car looks so far.....

my plan is now to get her back on the road as quick as possible, i have been collecting parts for the last couple of months, and i have also been converting my engine to a 2 ltr 8v. Also i have just finished porting and polishing the head. Many thanks again to all who have helped me upto this point, rubjonny and danny_p have been extremely helpful with info!

This is what i started with when i stripped my engine...

After reading a very helpful article on cgti.com (i think!) many evenings were spent with the die grinder....

The last thing i did today was to press the valve guides into the head, just need to lap in the valves and give the head a final clean and i can start to assemble my engine! :grin:

(pics to follow in next post)
« Last Edit: 02 November 2008, 17:26 by plasticfantastic »

Offline plasticfantastic

• Here all the time
Re: plasticfantastic - '91 2 litre project
« Reply #2 on: 02 November 2008, 17:44 »
Sorry no pics of the finished head yet, i'll have to sort them out tomorrow!

So far this week is looking to be pretty busy! heres a rough list of what i hope to do:

1, final clean and rebuild head.
2, clean and paint block.

3, build up engine and gearbox, with new clutch, gaskets, water pump, belts, plugs, leads and filters.
4, fit up exhaust manifold and fabricate new centre section from 65 mm od tube

5, last week i bought 2 g60 hubs with calipers, so depending on condition hopefully i can fit these straight on!
6, rear disks pads
7, if i achieve everything else and have time id like to give the interior a good clean and fit the new bits of trim i have bought...
    New speaker grills, new standard door lock pins, new parcel shelf straps, new rubber floor mats,

also the headlining is hanging down, but im unsure how im going to tackle that!?!

im really hoping i can have it running and mot it next weekend but we will see how progress goes in the week!

cheers all
« Last Edit: 02 November 2008, 17:53 by plasticfantastic »