Author Topic: How To: Replace the thermostat  (Read 113018 times)

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
Re: How To: Replace the thermostat
« Reply #30 on: 05 March 2010, 14:05 »
just done it. took me 30-40mins. i used a long, ball nose 5mm allen key and they came straight off. thermostat change takes 10 mins, its just changing the coolant that takes time.

thanks for the guide, was handy! would never have found the damn thing otherwise :D

:)

Offline turbo.jon

• GTI forum regular
  • mk4 1.8t agu
« Reply #31 on: 07 March 2010, 21:09 »
just done it. took me 30-40mins. i used a long, ball nose 5mm allen key and they came straight off. thermostat change takes 10 mins, its just changing the coolant that takes time.

thanks for the guide, was handy! would never have found the damn thing otherwise :D

glad you said about using the 5mm ball nose allen key as had to take mine off again job done in 30 mins  :cool:

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #32 on: 15 March 2010, 15:29 »

:afro:

Offline andc1

• I live here
« Reply #33 on: 04 November 2010, 20:55 »
just done mine and found Allen key to round the bottom bolt! so if you take off the alternator cable to the right of it you can get a thin socket and bar onto the bolt and undo it!!

nige_s

« Reply #34 on: 13 November 2010, 19:52 »
PITA! 

Just replaced the stat on mine, had to slacken off the alternator which is pain too.  Still job done and the temp is a solid 90 degrees.  I got proper man sized hand which I don't think helped.  Didn't bother with an allen key just got my socket set on the bolts.  If I had to do it again I guess it would take half the time.

Offline lukeyyyyyyy21

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #35 on: 05 May 2011, 21:03 »
Just like everyones when driving the coolant temp would drop down to about 70-80. Replaced the temp sensor. no change. The fan still kicks in at around 87ish....From reading from everyone else that theirs all run dead on 90 think I'm left with no option then to do the thermostat. So i'll be doing it this saturday morning. Ordered the 3 litres of g12 and the part itself.

Did anyone else realise a change in general running and fuel econemy once they had changed it?  :smiley:

nige_s

« Reply #36 on: 05 May 2011, 23:41 »
Did anyone else realise a change in general running and fuel econemy once they had changed it?  :smiley:

Yup a massive increase from crap mpg to marginally crap.  So in the real world no, but I didn't expect it to.

Offline lukeyyyyyyy21

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #37 on: 08 May 2011, 16:07 »
Replaced it at work. Didn't to remove anything to take it out. Quite straightforward to do but thought it would be off the top pipe from the temp sensor lol  :shocked: not bottom pipe.

Since doing it found it runs dead on 90 - with no drop, no miss-firing on idle and seems to run smoother. Probably also because I reoved the throttle body and cleaned that too.  :smiley:

Fan didn't kick in though which is odd. It only really kicks in on on days when it's very hot and I've been waiting in traffic for a long time. Not like my 1.6 se.  :shocked:

Don't know why this is tbh, as I do have two new fans and they were tested off a battery. The wiring is fine. Fuses are fine. Changed the coolant temp sensor as well...

Offline houston

• I live here
« Reply #38 on: 09 May 2011, 14:29 »
i used a socket and ratchet, but with a wobbly extension, made the job so easy, done in less than 15 mins!

Offline harlemex

• I live here
« Reply #39 on: 23 September 2011, 19:54 »
just done mine. Took me 1min and 12 seconds piece of piss. Absolute childs play, dont know what took you lot so long.

Not really, been on it since three AND STILL AINT DONE IT!!!! I put the seal on in the wrong order and its leaked out all my nice new coolant... AAArrrrgghhhhhhh!!!!