Author Topic: Advice please - I know nothing!  (Read 5380 times)

Offline wsn03

• Just got here
Advice please - I know nothing!
« on: 01 May 2021, 09:44 »
Hello
Im green to Golfs, im into other motors, though do have a Passat daily driver - best car ever made.

My Mother has been clinging onto her 1.8 mk4 GTI for ever it seems, and no amount of reasoning will get her to part with it.

I bought her a newer lower mileage 2.0 GTI a few years ago, but still she clings to her car.

I've done a bit research, learned the 1.8 is a Turbo, the 2.0 is an na and a bit unpopular in some circles for various reasons.

Im going to sell the 2.0, and get the 1.8 tidied up. Im going to get her a Passat as a daily drive so she can stop running her 1.8 into the ground.

Question- the 2.0 had a brand new engine last year, what is that car worth? She is very fond of a local mechanic bike racer who loves that car, so she wants to let him have it cheap. If i know what its value is I can work out what cheap is. It has leather interior, i think 2000, very good condition (about 50k, engine replaced at 45k i think)

Now the 1.8.
I am bringing it over to England from the Isle of Man.  I am mates with an amazing mechanic who will do all the work (he owns one as it happens), and im very close mates with a guy who owns a paint shop.

The bit im missing is seats - where is the best place for cloth upholstery? Like new/ original? Im in Warwick, so looking for somewhere in the Midlands if possible.  I read about a place in Liverpool (i got family there) but they dont respond to emails.

Any answers appreciated
Thanks

Offline bogwoppit

• GTI forum regular
Re: Advice please - I know nothing!
« Reply #1 on: 01 May 2021, 10:18 »
On the Mk4 Golf GTi, they did initially make a 1.8 20v without a turbo, it was roughly 125bhp I think.

This engine was then phased out and replaced with the 2.0 8v engine, as the above was a bit gutless at the bottom of the rev range. The 2.0 8v was 115bhp.

They also made the 1.8 20v with a turbo, initially at 150bhp and eventually 180bhp.

Seats wise, ebay can sometime be worth a look.
BMW 128ti - current

Mk 7.5 GTI PP, indium grey, manual - gone

Offline wsn03

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 01 May 2021, 16:59 »
On the Mk4 Golf GTi, they did initially make a 1.8 20v without a turbo, it was roughly 125bhp I think.

This engine was then phased out and replaced with the 2.0 8v engine, as the above was a bit gutless at the bottom of the rev range. The 2.0 8v was 115bhp.

They also made the 1.8 20v with a turbo, initially at 150bhp and eventually 180bhp.

Seats wise, ebay can sometime be worth a look.
Thanks for the lesson - interesting. The 2.0 definitely feels weak after the 1.8, I thought something was wrong with it when I first drove it. The 1.8 she has is a 1999 and feels very fast really, how do I know if its the 180bhp model? Is there a VIN number range?

I will check out ebay, my mechanic said the same thing actually, but to check it has Reccaro stamps on the seats

Offline bogwoppit

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 01 May 2021, 18:18 »
There are quite a lot of mk4 interiors on ebay at the moment, also Facebook market place is worth a look.

I think the 180bhp models were towards the end of the mk4's life span 2003 onwards.

There should be a 3 digit code which is the engine number, have a look here for a break down of the different 1.8T engines in the mk4:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=40194.0
BMW 128ti - current

Mk 7.5 GTI PP, indium grey, manual - gone

Offline wsn03

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 02 May 2021, 10:20 »
There are quite a lot of mk4 interiors on ebay at the moment, also Facebook market place is worth a look.

I think the 180bhp models were towards the end of the mk4's life span 2003 onwards.

There should be a 3 digit code which is the engine number, have a look here for a break down of the different 1.8T engines in the mk4:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=40194.0
Thank you, again this is very helpful.
My Mother's is a 1999, so most likely not the 180bhp model.
Of interest I got her to check the seats for me and they are Recaro - I'm finding nothing current on eBay though lots have been up there, Facebook marketplace is a good shout, so I'll try that.
Cheers