Author Topic: Rear camera worth it?  (Read 11711 times)

Offline Mag_Pie

• GTI forum regular
Re: Rear camera worth it?
« Reply #60 on: 17 November 2017, 09:01 »
Thanks for all of your thoughts on this people, the video really helped.  Decision made.

Offline Wide

• I live here
« Reply #61 on: 17 November 2017, 09:53 »
Thanks for all of your thoughts on this people, the video really helped.  Decision made.

You welcome ;). You had order now?.  :wink:.

In Sweden this is a free option when you order the Hitch, same in UK?..  :smiley:
My Youtube Channel ** MK8 R and MK7.5 GTI PP**
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOQb17Kro9L-iuT91cKxsjA
And My INSTAGRAM FaceliftGT
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHKNpaNHog_/

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #62 on: 17 November 2017, 10:19 »

That's what parking sensors are for, you just need to adjust them to go solid tone when 1" away from an object.

How do you adjust the sensors?

We have cameras on all our Golfs and it would definitely be the first option I'd look for on any new car.

I haven't had a look on the Golf because i dont need to but I did it on my CC but I'll have a look over the weekend.

No way anyone would have reversed into the parallel space I did yesterday without a rear camera without a lot of guess work or blind faith.
Once and for all it's a must have extra and expect a forward facing option sometime soon
Think this thread has answered the OP enough. And As such I would recommend any new golf purchaser to add it to the spec before any or no other option is selected

What space? If you have front and rear sensors makes virtually no difference when parallel parking.

The Golf is such an easy car to park due to its small size. Having been driving for only 21 years, I've had one car with a rear camera and guess which car I've reversed into something. Yes, the car with a rear camera! It also had the self park. Which is great. For drivers unable to park.

I'd say the only time I found the camera very useful was reversing out a driveway as the wide angle lens meant you could see if say the road was clear. Again, less of a problem in the Golf as opposed a saloon car. Guess for £295 it's not a bad price but it's not as people are suggesting a 'must have Golf option'.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Wide

• I live here
« Reply #63 on: 17 November 2017, 11:22 »

That's what parking sensors are for, you just need to adjust them to go solid tone when 1" away from an object.

We have cameras on all our Golfs and it would definitely be the first option I'd look for on any new car.

I haven't had a look on the Golf because i dont need to but I did it on my CC but I'll have a look over the weekend.

No way anyone would have reversed into the parallel space I did yesterday without a rear camera without a lot of guess work or blind faith.
Once and for all it's a must have extra and expect a forward facing option sometime soon
Think this thread has answered the OP enough. And As such I would recommend any new golf purchaser to add it to the spec before any or no other option is selected

What space? If you have front and rear sensors makes virtually no difference when parallel parking.

The Golf is such an easy car to park due to its small size. Having been driving for only 21 years, I've had one car with a rear camera and guess which car I've reversed into something. Yes, the car with a rear camera! It also had the self park. Which is great. For drivers unable to park.

I'd say the only time I found the camera very useful was reversing out a driveway as the wide angle lens meant you could see if say the road was clear. Again, less of a problem in the Golf as opposed a saloon car. Guess for £295 it's not a bad price but it's not as people are suggesting a 'must have Golf option'.

I can´t reverse, but drive very fast forward!  :grin:.

But serious the hidden camera is probably best in the car world. I borrowed a new 330E last Week. The Camera was dirty after 3 hour and was useless..  :angry:

I think rear camera is one of the best option for little money, besides the active cruise controll thats is the Number one option!  :grin:
My Youtube Channel ** MK8 R and MK7.5 GTI PP**
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOQb17Kro9L-iuT91cKxsjA
And My INSTAGRAM FaceliftGT
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHKNpaNHog_/

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #64 on: 17 November 2017, 12:09 »
Yes and no, I got the hitch and it did come with a camera for measuring the angles of the hitch when parking BUT the camera wasn't wired up to the mmi, it's the highline camera with the bendy lines

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #65 on: 17 November 2017, 12:11 »

I can´t reverse, but drive very fast forward!  :grin:.

But serious the hidden camera is probably best in the car world. I borrowed a new 330E last Week. The Camera was dirty after 3 hour and was useless..  :angry:

I think rear camera is one of the best option for little money, besides the active cruise controll thats is the Number one option!  :grin:
i had a merc a180 on loan the other week and the badge opens in reverse like the golf, seems it's catching on

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #66 on: 17 November 2017, 23:41 »

I take it you forgot or had no choice to order it, you go ahead @nd trust blind parking with sensors, no pal caméras the next best thing to eyesight. Unless you are unfortunately blind, then  sound and touch are naturally. Let’s just agree, if you have a reverse camera on a Golf would you rather not have it and get the cash back.No
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #67 on: 18 November 2017, 11:45 »

The point is.. Its an option. Is it a must have option for a competent driver? No. Its nice luxury.

And no, I didn't add one to my company car. I wouldn't pay for one on a Golf.

The OP asked Rear camera worth? Its good value as a opposed to retro fit so maybe yes it its worth it. The point is, its not necessary.

I take it you forgot or had no choice to order it, you go ahead @nd trust blind parking with sensors, no pal caméras the next best thing to eyesight. Unless you are unfortunately blind, then  sound and touch are naturally. Let’s just agree, if you have a reverse camera on a Golf would you rather not have it and get the cash back.No
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #68 on: 19 November 2017, 20:01 »
I think we now know that some people really like the camera and some don't see the need lol.

Why is it so expensive now? I think it was something like £150 when I specced mine, and at that price, it was worth it just for the badge to pop out when I reversed  :wink:

'er indoors has just got a new Nissan Qashqui and that's got quite a good system - it's got camera's front and rear and one in the underside of each mirror. When you reverse it puts up 2 images on the screen, from the reverse camera and a composite that gives the effect of looking at the car from above. If you then go forward (or press the 'camera' button on the dash, you can have the front camera and plan view.

It takes a bit of getting used to and the infotainment system is a little (ok, a lot) clunky even compared to my 2014 MIB1 CMS but it's quite good for getting in the middle of a parking space as you can see the lines both sides on the plan view.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #69 on: 19 November 2017, 23:12 »
I think we now know that some people really like the camera and some don't see the need lol.

Why is it so expensive now? I think it was something like £150 when I specced mine, and at that price, it was worth it just for the badge to pop out when I reversed  :wink:

'er indoors has just got a new Nissan Qashqui and that's got quite a good system - it's got camera's front and rear and one in the underside of each mirror. When you reverse it puts up 2 images on the screen, from the reverse camera and a composite that gives the effect of looking at the car from above. If you then go forward (or press the 'camera' button on the dash, you can have the front camera and plan view.
Pl

It takes a bit of getting used to and the infotainment system is a little (ok, a lot) clunky even compared to my 2014 MIB1 CMS but it's quite good for getting in the middle of a parking space as you can see the lines both sides on the plan view.

4 cameras fantastic! Problem is you have to buy Datsun sorry Nissan to have them. Only joking :wink: good motors for the purpose.
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.