Author Topic: DTUK Pedalbox  (Read 45375 times)

Offline Mk7-GTD

• Here all the time
Re: DTUK Pedalbox
« Reply #50 on: 13 March 2016, 12:24 »
Booth11 done a very detailed install guide with photos.

Post 208 down the page a bit http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=275792.200
« Last Edit: 13 March 2016, 12:26 by Mk7-GTD »

Offline golfhappy

• I live here
« Reply #51 on: 13 March 2016, 12:46 »
Did read that it was spot on. The problem lies with the connectors. The grey one which replaces the OEM orange one which connects to the pedal, its hard to push the grey connector into the locking position. The next problem arises with the OEM orange connector to the pedal box one. Mine had the slide bit buffed off when i received it, probably DTUKs mod to aid fitting.

Dare i say this but Booth must be stronger than us!   :cry:
Audi S1 gone, awaiting 1.5tsi r-line, pan roof, led lights front and rear, active dash, 18" jurva alloys and a dealer fitted Oettinger roof spoiler in tornado red.

Offline Mk7-GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #52 on: 13 March 2016, 13:30 »
Did read that it was spot on. The problem lies with the connectors. The grey one which replaces the OEM orange one which connects to the pedal, its hard to push the grey connector into the locking position. The next problem arises with the OEM orange connector to the pedal box one. Mine had the slide bit buffed off when i received it, probably DTUKs mod to aid fitting.

Dare i say this but Booth must be stronger than us!   :cry:

She probably is as well, I'd put it down to all the detailing she does on her R

Offline Mr.McGee

• Not said much yet
« Reply #53 on: 13 March 2016, 18:04 »

Post 208 down the page a bit http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=275792.200

Thanks!

Offline golfhappy

• I live here
« Reply #54 on: 13 March 2016, 19:14 »

Thanks!

You'll no be saying thanks when your're doing your Honey badger impression, the sweat will be running down your brow, fingers will be dripping with blood...and that's only getting the box open!  :smiley:
Audi S1 gone, awaiting 1.5tsi r-line, pan roof, led lights front and rear, active dash, 18" jurva alloys and a dealer fitted Oettinger roof spoiler in tornado red.

Offline Mr.McGee

• Not said much yet
« Reply #55 on: 13 March 2016, 19:40 »

Thanks!

You'll no be saying thanks when your're doing your Honey badger impression, the sweat will be running down your brow, fingers will be dripping with blood...and that's only getting the box open!  :smiley:

Haha. I'm not sure if I'll get one just yet as it'll be a GTD on lease. I bought a RaceChip tuning box for my current BMW and used it once. I liked the increased performance, but it was a nightmare to get installed and didn't fancy having to go through the process every time I went for a service. PedalBox looks easier alright.

EDIT: And yes, I'm aware the PedalBox doesn't increase performance like a tuning box :)
« Last Edit: 13 March 2016, 19:55 by Mr.McGee »

Offline golfhappy

• I live here
« Reply #56 on: 13 March 2016, 20:01 »
Yeh i had a Racechip on my leon FR 170, every bit as good as a map until i started to play about with the settings. I maybe take my Bluefin ,ap out the golf and see what the pedal box is like in standard HP. Did put in sport plus +2 tonight and that thing flys.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #57 on: 13 March 2016, 20:05 »
Haha! I am super strong.  :grin:  I have strong fingers which I put down to years of yoga and pilates which works every tiny part of your body, right down to fingers and toes.  Stood me in good stead for the infamous pedal box connectors. 

The connectors are very stiff, but having read lots of stories of them breaking etc, I decided to stay calm and not go at like a raging bull, lol.  I walked away a couple of times, went and had a cup of tea (didn't include that in the instructions), and then went back and showed those connectors who was boss.  In all honesty they weren't that bad, but my box had been on someone else's car so may be they had a bit of give.  I'd previously found that video that golfhappy posted showing the connectors going together but actually the point is to get the connectors in dead straight if you can.  That's easier said than done whilst kneeling with your head crooked in the footwell whilst the gravel digs into your knees, lol!!

I've heard removing the pedal box is where the problems lay as many say the grey clip breaks although the guy who used the box I now have seemed to get his off without it breaking. 

I hope the fitting guide I did will be of help to others as the DTUK video is a little too simplistic and to start it's a bit of a different story when you get your head under the footwell and see all the wires.  The biggest favour you can do for yourself it to first remove the flat piece of trim, that makes a huge difference.

As well as the fitting thread MK7-GTD linked to - it's also in here in the maintenance section.  I added the pic guide to Vidman's very useful thread and his initial post helped me no end. 

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=276517.msg2531794;boardseen#new
« Last Edit: 13 March 2016, 20:07 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #58 on: 13 March 2016, 22:49 »
I left it until the last day before my GTI went in part ex before removing mine as I hated driving the car without it. And quite late in the day at that.
I pulled, and I wiggled, and I pulled, and I pulled some more. I went and made a cuppa. I came back out and I pulled some more and no, the thing was NOT coming off.
I text Andrew@DTUK and he told me to get hold of the office and "the boys will help you" but alas the office was shut. I rewatched the YouTube vid DTUK have whilst nursing my fingertips then took a deep breath...
So I went back to the car with a steely face and I wiggled and pulled again. The grey clip started to break but I was undeterred and then...
Sudden movement!
The box was free!
Then I looked closer.
The box wasn't *quite* free.
The circuit board assembly (which is very small) had come out of the top of the pedal and was still happily attached to the Pedalbox connector!!
"Oh merde!"
At least it was now free of the car and I took it all indoors and got to work on it.
The circuit board just sits in the top of the pedal and aside from the wired connector (the one the box intersects) there's no other cabling attached and it just clicked back into the top of the pedal afterwards and worked fine.

So, did my experience put me off?
Not a chance! As soon as the replacement car was home I was out on my hands and knees fitting the pedal box to it.

Moral of the story: it's worth the effort.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #59 on: 13 March 2016, 23:58 »
I left it until the last day before my GTI went in part ex before removing mine as I hated driving the car without it. And quite late in the day at that.
I pulled, and I wiggled, and I pulled, and I pulled some more. I went and made a cuppa. I came back out and I pulled some more and no, the thing was NOT coming off.
I text Andrew@DTUK and he told me to get hold of the office and "the boys will help you" but alas the office was shut. I rewatched the YouTube vid DTUK have whilst nursing my fingertips then took a deep breath...
So I went back to the car with a steely face and I wiggled and pulled again. The grey clip started to break but I was undeterred and then...
Sudden movement!
The box was free!
Then I looked closer.
The box wasn't *quite* free.
The circuit board assembly (which is very small) had come out of the top of the pedal and was still happily attached to the Pedalbox connector!!
"Oh merde!"
At least it was now free of the car and I took it all indoors and got to work on it.
The circuit board just sits in the top of the pedal and aside from the wired connector (the one the box intersects) there's no other cabling attached and it just clicked back into the top of the pedal afterwards and worked fine.

So, did my experience put me off?
Not a chance! As soon as the replacement car was home I was out on my hands and knees fitting the pedal box to it.

Moral of the story: it's worth the effort.

I love that story!  :smiley:

The other moral of the story is.....when the going gets tough, go get a cup of tea!  'Tis the British way.  :laugh: :laugh:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11