Author Topic: HOW TO :Rear Parking Sensor Install  (Read 40116 times)

Offline DaveN

• GTI forum regular
HOW TO :Rear Parking Sensor Install
« on: 30 January 2007, 21:56 »
My fecking camera battery died so no pics I'm afraid.(updated with pics from another mkv install of an antenna)

Firstly remove the rear shelf.

Remove the roof edge trim, what you need to do is pull the trim down, its held on by clips so pulling it straight down from one side to the other it should come loose. Keep an eye out for clips the might stay stuck in the roof. If the do get stuck they can be pulled out with a pliers.

Next it is the removal of the c-pillar trim, firstly using a small screwdriver leaver out the lower edge of the airbag tag. Then with another lever the tabs down that are on the back side. Just take your time and it can be removed.Behind this emblem is a torx screw, remove this screw. Then remove the nut that is under the rear trim.

Airbag Emblem

Once these are removed the trim can be pulled up and outwards at the top to allow access to the connectors that are behind this panel. There are three connectors a pink, brown and a black, the reverse light power is on the black connector. Disconnect the connector and then remove the panel covering the reverse light on the tailgate, remove the bulb.

Then using a digital volt meter with a continuity mode confirm the white wire on the bulb connector is connected to terminal 3 on the black block ( believe this is correct). Now with the wire identified I crimped the power wire for the parking sensor kit to this wire. On the ground wire for the kit I crimped a ring connector and wired it up to the bolt at the roof trim.

This power cable can then be fed down in to the luggage compartment behind the rear light. With these steps completed I connected up the kit and placed the kit sensors on the open boot edge and confirmed that when in reverse the kit operated as the rear neared a wall. No point in getting all this way and it not work properly.

Next I removed the rear light cluster by unbolting two nuts that are behind the covering in the luggage compartment. With this done two bolts on the top of the bumper can be removed, this will allow the bumper to be pulled out a bit for routing the sensor wires up to the point where the rear light seal is. Then the scary bit the marking out and drilling of the bumper, the kit I selected was one with unpainted sensors that matched the lower plastic part of the bumper. My kit was a 4 sensor model so I measured the centre one approx 5 cm from the edge of the licence plate area on both sides, then 3 cm down from the edge where the top painted part and lower plastic part meet. Then on both sides I measured 22 cm outward from these locations for the outer sensor.

Then lie down behind and reach up behind the bumper cover and check there is nothing directly behind where you are going to drill. Then after checking your measurement about 100 times and that your drill points are level then its time to drill. Using the kit supplied cutter cut through the bumper at the (looking from the rear) right most sensor location point.
Then drill the centre right, feed the sensors in to position and the cabling down behind the cover, feed the cables along behind the bumper and above the heat shield around the exhaust area. Then drill the left side points and feed the sensor cables down, next feed a string down from the rear light area behind the bumper and pull the 4 cables up. I found as I pulled these up they pulled up behind the bumper and nicely away from the exhaust area.

Then feed the 4 sensor cables in the rear light hole, the light unit has a weather seal so the cables should fit. Replace the rear light cluster while holding the sensor cables at the lower edge of the opening. Now plug the sensors in to the kit unit and do a reverse test to confirm it is operating. I used a sticky pad to put the kit box behind the cover near the rear lights along with the kit beeper.

I tidied up the cabling and replaced the c-pillar trim, the airbag emblem should click back in to place, the nut at the rear should be tightened with the ground wire clamped to the bodywork. Replace the roof trim starting from one side and working to the other make sure the clip is aligned the push firmly and it should clip in.

So all done with no rattles or squeaks.

The finished article

« Last Edit: 01 February 2007, 21:36 by DaveN »
I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades. Especially if your teammates are bad guessers.

Offline Cass

• I live here
Re: Rear Parking Sensor Install
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2007, 00:16 »
Wot no pics  :cry: Get that battery changed and snap the finished article at least  :wink:

Good write up though.

Cass
Now: VW Touareg Altitude V6 TDI 3.0 240 bhp, Diamond Pearlescent Black
Previous: MY2007 GTI, 3 door, manual, pearlescent black and lots of toys - gone to a good home : )

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
Re: Rear Parking Sensor Install
« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2007, 00:17 »
Very good first write up  :wink:

MOD PLEASE MAKE STICKY!

Offline scouserpc

• Just got here
Re: HOW TO :Rear Parking Sensor Install
« Reply #3 on: 11 March 2007, 15:36 »
Thanks for the write up. I have been trying for a while to figure out how to pick up the live feed from the reverse light, your write up solved the problem. I did make the mistake of actually removing the rear quarter panel trim which was a nightmare to put back. But all sorted now..........

Thanks Again

scouserpc

Offline DaveN

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 05 April 2007, 10:14 »
Moved the sounder from the boot area to behind the cover at the rear seat.
It makes it considerably easier to hear if the tunes are up loud.

Dave N
« Last Edit: 05 April 2007, 11:00 by DaveN »
I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades. Especially if your teammates are bad guessers.

Offline Hurdy

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 10 April 2007, 21:56 »
Would this work with a reverse video camera fed back to a head unit with a video input?
Seat Leon Cupra Black 290 DSG

Offline DaveN

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 10 April 2007, 22:43 »
I think it would but you will have to wire the camera/av cable back beneath the trim beneath the doors back to the front of the car then wire it up behind the dash to get to the head unit. Secondly you may need to run a seperate power line as the reverse light is on the CAN-BUS system so your camera sensor kit might not work. There is a good DIY by a guy on vwvortex http://72.232.196.98/~dpham00/gti/mods/parktronic/PARKTRONIC%20DIY.pdf.

He installed the display with radar so it might be of interest to you.

Dave N

Offline Hurdy

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 11 April 2007, 00:29 »
Thanks for the info :smiley: :cool:
Seat Leon Cupra Black 290 DSG

Offline Martbikes

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 22 April 2007, 21:20 »
which kit did you use and how much was it and are the sensors a good colour match for the black bumper. Good write up!!

Offline DaveN

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 22 April 2007, 21:26 »
http://www.parkitright.com/ is the company, I bought the kit from an ebay seller for around £40 STG.
The sensors were unpainted which match the lower plastic section of the bumper quite well.

Dave N