Author Topic: Japan imported Golf GTI MK7  (Read 1450 times)

Offline JoeMH2

• Just got here
Japan imported Golf GTI MK7
« on: 28 June 2022, 14:06 »
Hi all,

Just looking for some opinions and figured here would be a good place to get them.

I've found an immaculate MK7 Golf GTI model with low mileage which has had one owner but is imported from Japan. The seller is responsive and willing to provide me with everything he has on the car. He has provided me with a copy of the IVA certification which I understand to be a comprehensive assessment covering most aspects of roadworthiness on imported models.

I'm aware of the underseal issues with imported cars, he informed me he had this done on receipt - will be asking for a copy of the invoice or proof of works. Clocks look to be KMH but there is a digital MPH indicator so not overly fussed by the clocks (we have an Audi Q3 with an analog clock + digital speedo, don't think I've ever looked beyond the digital speedo).

I'm aware of the radio issue and that's my next question to him. Also intend to ask for a video going through the infotainment system to ensure it's either been converted or is UK suitable.

Is there anything else of note that is worth asking? Before I'm asked, the reason for looking at this model versus a UK model is price - a good few thousand less than equivalent + this will be the daily driver for when me and/or my wife are without the baby.

Cheers in advance.

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
Re: Japan imported Golf GTI MK7
« Reply #1 on: 28 June 2022, 14:57 »
I wouldn’t touch it as there is plenty of uk models for sale that you can buy

Offline JoeMH2

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 28 June 2022, 15:20 »
I wouldn’t touch it as there is plenty of uk models for sale that you can buy

Thanks - primary reason is the price, closely followed by condition and mileage.

Is there a particular reason you wouldn't get an import?

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 28 June 2022, 15:30 »
I’ve had loads of imports back in my Subaru and mr2 days some where a nightmare to insure don’t know the situation now though with insurance companies as some wouldn’t touch them
And I’ve had a couple that claimed to be mint on the paperwork work but once we checked it we found some issues although you can get that with any car

Offline JoeMH2

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 28 June 2022, 15:32 »
I’ve had loads of imports back in my Subaru and mr2 days some where a nightmare to insure don’t know the situation now though with insurance companies as some wouldn’t touch them
And I’ve had a couple that claimed to be mint on the paperwork work but once we checked it we found some issues although you can get that with any car

Fair point.

I've gone through all the usual comparison sites and they're all spitting out quotes at the same amount as UK equivalents. Car has been DVLA registered since 2016 so maybe that's the reason. Insurance I'm pretty comfortable with.

Will grill a little more on service and MOT history on the condition element though - cheers.

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 28 June 2022, 15:44 »
If it’s been in the uk since 2016 how old was it when it left Japan

Offline JoeMH2

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 28 June 2022, 15:45 »
If it’s been in the uk since 2016 how old was it when it left Japan

That's what I'm a little confused about. It's a 66 reg with one owner. Speaking to guy in detail about it this evening. Assuming he either lived there for a while or bought it brand new as an export - which is a bit odd admittedly.

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 28 June 2022, 15:50 »
Post a link to the advert for it