Author Topic: New member - 3rd time lucky on 7.5 GTI?  (Read 1995 times)

Offline Pandemonium

• Just got here
New member - 3rd time lucky on 7.5 GTI?
« on: 08 June 2022, 11:46 »
Morning all,

Hope you're all well, good to be here. I'm purchasing a used 2017 GTI this weekend - completely stock, tungsten silver, ~30k on the clock. Really can't wait to get it having sold an F20 M135i which was becoming uneconomical to run and repair.

Had a bit of a mare with prior attempts at purchasing a GTI though.

Initially bought a 7.5 2017 manual with 27k on the clock about a month ago, after having it at home for a few days the clutch started slipping and then wouldn't hold 4th or 5th. Drove to local VW in 3rd (only down the road) and advised new clutch, so immediately rejected this.

Tried again with a 7.5 .2017 DSG 2 weeks ago from VW ~33k on clock, upon test drive there was a dreadful knocking sound. Advised needed a new drive shaft. It also failed the MOT with emissions - Advised it needed a new cat. Needless to say, without knowing the history, decided not to proceed with that!

So yeah, 3rd time lucky! Here's hoping it's not a lemon. Going to inspect and test on the weekend, and it it's all kosher I'll take it.

Looking forward to joining and seeing the other beautiful GTIs out there.
« Last Edit: 08 June 2022, 11:51 by Pandemonium »

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: New member - 3rd time lucky on 7.5 GTI?
« Reply #1 on: 08 June 2022, 12:20 »
Welcome to the forum!

That was unlucky, or, you were lucky when the issues occurred! Slipping clutch is a fairly common issue on a GTI. Also leaky themostat housings/waterpumps which often go after 4 or 5 years, so get that checked over! Otherwise they are generally reliable.

:smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 08 June 2022, 13:50 »
Welcome Pandemonium  :smiley: and well done for persevering!
Third time lucky hopefully as you say.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Pandemonium

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 08 June 2022, 16:09 »
Cheers both.

Just had a call and a video from the dealership - all looks ok aesthetically, no scratches or dents, just the odd stone ship which doesn't concern me. I detail my cars myself and know a guy who will ceramic it for me.

Just waiting for the view from the techs after the check and service & have asked for a view on the thermostat/waterpump & clutch. But I will also check everything I can when I see it on Saturday.

Only strange thing. He said they only accept bank transfer as opposed to card payment. I can't really see why they would do that aside from trying to avoid card payments and possible chargebacks. But it'd be refundable under law anyway if something were to go wrong...Weird.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 08 June 2022, 19:51 »
Hi Pandemonium and welcome. Third time lucky I hope. Think you were also lucky to be able to dump the first two without losing out. The bank transfer thing is normal these days. Dealerships save on credit card charges and stops last minute change of mind. Worth getting a visual on the rear suspension. It gives some indication on wear and tear over the cars life.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Pandemonium

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 09 June 2022, 15:40 »
Thanks again folks.

So here she is. Had the report from the tech - no issues except full replacement of disks and pads and 4 new tyres. Like I said seeing it in person on Saturday so will be going around with magnifying glass (not literally) and checking everything I can. Will let you know how I get on.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 09 June 2022, 19:50 »
It certainly looks a nice example from the photos.
As ever, it’s not until you see a car in the metal that you really get a feel of how decently it’s been treated.
We’ll be keeping everything crossed for you 🤞🏻
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline dfm

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 09 June 2022, 20:49 »
Looks nice - I have a Mk 7 in this colour so good to see a 7.5 in the same colour.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 10 June 2022, 09:45 »
Looks good. Hope it lives up to initial impressions when you see it tomorrow.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Pete-r36

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 10 June 2022, 19:15 »
Rare in silver, looks superb. Welcome!