Author Topic: Radio/accessory wiring question  (Read 1996 times)

Offline 55bb

• Just got here
Radio/accessory wiring question
« on: 21 March 2022, 16:46 »
I’ve added a DAB+ radio adapter to my 2012 Mk6 Golf TDI as the factory-fitted radio (RCD510) only receives DAB, and virtually all of the stations I listen to are using DAB+. The adapter uses its own aerial and is connected to the main head unit via FM.

It’s working perfectly except for one little thing - I’m having to power it from a fuse which is operated via the ignition switch (position 2), so the ignition has to be On for it to work, which means everything else is turned on too. The factory-fitted unit also operates via the ignition switch, but in position 1, i.e. the main ignition is off, and seems to work just like the Accessory position in older cars.

What I’d like to be able to do is turn on the DAB+ adapter via position 1 (Accessory position) without having to switch the main ignition on as I currently do, so that I can listen when parked.

Does anyone know if there’s an equivalent in the Mk 6 Golf?

I’ve checked the fuses using a continuity tester in both switch positions but can only find fuses which become live in position 2, none in position 1. There doesn’t even seem to be such a cable going into the back of the radio.

Is this even possible?

Thanks.