Author Topic: Newbie, hopefully with an MK7 GTI soon  (Read 1678 times)

Offline C320

• Not said much yet
Newbie, hopefully with an MK7 GTI soon
« on: 17 February 2022, 12:55 »
Hi all,

Just joined to do some background research on Golf GTI generations for a forthcoming purchase.

Was a VAG guy in my early years, having had both a Jetta MK2 and a Vento. Then after a long line of company cars, mainly Mercs and latterly BMW I have a hankering for a Golf GTI (I'm in my mid 40's now).

The GTI will be a 3rd car to most likely replace an R56 Mini Cooper S as a daily driver, for the school commute / station run etc (when commuting is more of a thing again!).

I started looking at MK5 & MK6 GTI's, but as usual man maths and stuff creep in and before you know it I'm looking at now looking MK7's! Budget wise it will be a higher miles car but given my likely usage as a 3rd car it will even out over the next 3-4 years.

Off to search the forums to check out common pain points etc...

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Newbie, hopefully with an MK7 GTI soon
« Reply #1 on: 19 February 2022, 22:49 »
Welcome C320  :smiley:

It’s getting harder to find mk5’s that aren’t rusty and mk6’s that aren’t a bit tired. A colleague of mine is searching similar to you and turning up duds.
A mk7 is a generally reliable car and drives superbly, it’s equally hard to find a good one for sensible money though!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline C320

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 21 February 2022, 16:53 »
Thanks for the welcome Exonian.

I quite enjoy the searching but agree completely about how hard it is to find good ones.
It's funny how FSH means different things to different people (including not being serviced for over 2 1/2 years!), or why people think it's odd if I ask that they have both keys...

Hoping to find an enthusiast owned vehicle, fingers crossed.

Offline Dazie00

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 21 February 2022, 18:02 »
Hi all,

Just joined to do some background research on Golf GTI generations for a forthcoming purchase.

Was a VAG guy in my early years, having had both a Jetta MK2 and a Vento. Then after a long line of company cars, mainly Mercs and latterly BMW I have a hankering for a Golf GTI (I'm in my mid 40's now).

The GTI will be a 3rd car to most likely replace an R56 Mini Cooper S as a daily driver, for the school commute / station run etc (when commuting is more of a thing again!).

I started looking at MK5 & MK6 GTI's, but as usual man maths and stuff creep in and before you know it I'm looking at now looking MK7's! Budget wise it will be a higher miles car but given my likely usage as a 3rd car it will even out over the next 3-4 years.

Hi, good luck with the search, what are you looking for, 3/5 door, manual /DSG , i wasn't really looking but exactly what i really wanted came up in a private sale 25 miles away so couldn't pass it up, also welcome to the forum, they seem like a nice bunch . :smiley:
GTI PP, Leather, Pan roof, Rev Camera, Keyless , MIB2

Gone but not forgotten
GTI 5 Man
R 7 DSG stage 1
GTI 5 DSG
RS4 B7
GTI 4 1.8T
GTI 3
GTI 1 CAB

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 21 February 2022, 19:02 »
Hi all,

Hi, good luck with the search, what are you looking for, 3/5 door, manual /DSG , i wasn't really looking but exactly what i really wanted came up in a private sale 25 miles away so couldn't pass it up, also welcome to the forum, they seem like a nice bunch . :smiley:

Fingers crossed for you, I’ve had mine for 38 months and still loving it.
It’ll be worth the wait.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline C320

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 01 March 2022, 12:32 »

Cheers, to be fair I'm open - would prefer DSG as they seem to get a good review but happy with a manual. Similarly doors, not fussed - I kind of like the idea of a 3 door as they don't do them anymore and it's how the GTI started. But as most are 5 door that's cool.

The only real dont's I have are that it can't be white or red. Having just said that, I'll probably be back soon annoucning that I've bought a White or Red one  :grin:
« Last Edit: 03 March 2022, 09:20 by C320 »

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 05 March 2022, 09:35 »

Cheers, to be fair I'm open - would prefer DSG as they seem to get a good review but happy with a manual. Similarly doors, not fussed - I kind of like the idea of a 3 door as they don't do them anymore and it's how the GTI started. But as most are 5 door that's cool.

The only real dont's I have are that it can't be white or red. Having just said that, I'll probably be back soon annoucning that I've bought a White or Red one  :grin:

Funny that, when I was after my previous car I was dead set on a grey, 5 door DSG. But when I saw what became my 3 door red manual, I was smitten! Didn't want white either, got that now....
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline C320

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 08 March 2022, 10:25 »
Funny you say that, Tornado Red and Oryx White are both looking very smart, definitely opening my mind!

I'll definitely be buying on the basis of condition / history foremost!

Offline marley

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 08 March 2022, 15:21 »
Welcome to the forum.

Ive only recently joined myself, last Autumn.

I bought a Tornado Red Manual G.T.I. (yes, of course! I didnt want a red one!). Loved it..Loved it so much, I traded it in last week for a ? WHITE! GTI DSG..a year newer, so its a performance. They are both lovely cars, "personally"! though, I prefer an auto.

Happy hunting in finding your one!

Offline C320

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 08 March 2022, 16:11 »
Thanks for the welcome. As I've started I thought I'd be happy with either manual or DSG, the more I look the more I 'think' I'd prefer a DSG.

What's the general consensus? All of our other cars are autos, although my current daily driver (Mini Cooper S) is a manual and it's generally fine for our day to day use.

I've read and heard some very good things about the DSG but then I'm sure I've heard people moan about them too.