Author Topic: Atlantic Blue GTI Clubsport  (Read 8342 times)

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
Atlantic Blue GTI Clubsport
« on: 29 June 2021, 14:54 »
Hi All,

I thought I'd add some pics of my Atlantic Blue Clubsport. It was a stock car which I have had nearly two weeks having traded in my Mk 7.5 GTI Performance. A few of my good and bad points and comparison to the Mk7.5

Good Points
* Tech - The wireless Carplay is so much better than having a lead trailing across the cabin
* Assistance - I really like the Active Travel assist it takes a lot of the stress of motorway driving along with traffic sign recognition. I don't use the speed assist as it made me brake randomly in a 30 when passing a bus
* Speed - God it feels fast, I'm still running it in but its like a little terrier straining at the lead. I can only imagine how rapid it is when its run in!
* Exhaust - I've tried Sport mode a couple of times the pops from the exhaust are just what my 7.5 was missing
* The looks - When they first brought out the 8 I hated it but the GT (I's,D's and E's) look much better the rear 3/4 of the clubsport is my favourite view with the oval exhausts and Boot spoiler. I don't even hate the wheels!!!!
* Digi Dash and haptic controls - I have got used to the haptics really quickly and the dash layout and information is superb
* The Seats - I love the arts velour seats they look good and really comfortable.
* Ambient lighting and IQ headlights. Need to have a proper nighttime drive but what I've seen so far they are very good
* The Mk8 Community - We are all testpilots Beta testing VW kit but we are working our way through the issues and sharing valuable findings with each other

Not so Good Points

* Quality - The doors feel more flimsy than the 7.5 the handles feel cheap
* Issues - I'm aware of the issues with the 8's I have a last of the B hardware versions (build week 47.6!) so don't have the 17XX or 18XX software, My temp doesn't sync and the Keyless entry is sporadic at best my software is still 1666 which I know isn't the newest I'm keeping my eye on things and waiting to see if a 1690 (or whatever the next number will be) and get that downloaded when it goes in for a service (keeping my fingers, toes arms and legs crossed the car stays fault free)
* The user interface - It has its moments for the most part I'm used to it but there are still one or two swipes too many I either make by mistake or because it picks up a finger movement I didn't mean to make!
* No sunglasses holder - Bugs the life out of me this.

A few pics of the car

« Last Edit: 29 June 2021, 15:40 by Foxy367 »
Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Atlantic Blue GTI Clubsport
« Reply #1 on: 30 June 2021, 14:39 »
That looks rather nice.
Can’t disagree with any of your points there either (although I never used the sunglasses holder but weirdly I still miss it!)
Thanks for posting up the pics and well detailed thoughts on the car so far.
It’ll be good to read how you settle in with the car over a bit more time.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
« Reply #2 on: 30 June 2021, 16:26 »
Thanks I'm really pleased with the colour it really makes the red details pop too. The black vinyls at the bottom of the doors disappear though whether that's a good thing or a bad thing!  :whistle:
Previously

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2021, 22:09 »
The wheels work well with that colour too.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
« Reply #4 on: 09 July 2021, 12:05 »
Just approaching 600 miles and I drove a particularly fast nadgety road on my way to work, the 7.5 was always good along this road but I was astounded by the difference in the CS this morning. EVen in the 7.5 it felt a little fidgety as its a particularly rough section of road however the CS on standard wheels and standard suspension soaked up the imperfection superbly and just flowed along the same road that would have had the odd wince and skip as the suspension tried to control the surface.

Overall even more impressed now than when I first got it.
Previously

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 12 July 2021, 12:56 »
The engine does seem to loosen up around 600 miles (1000km?) a little more and once it’s all warm the gearbox seems to want to play a bit more too even in comfort/drive.
But I agree, it’s the suspension that really makes the car and on standard shocks there’s no feeling the need to fiddle with things multiple times during a journey. Get in, press start, disable mother superior lane assist and go…
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
« Reply #6 on: 13 July 2021, 15:47 »
I know what you mean, I'm sure DCC would be nice for certain times but 99% of the time I'd say the standard suspension is sufficient.

Only addition to your start up sequence is to reset the temp controls to Sync!!!
Previously

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 13 July 2021, 18:12 »
At the risk of cursing it, my sync seems ok.
Ok, I’d better change that to “has been ok up until I just said that”  :whistle:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline JNL

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 14 July 2021, 23:45 »
Did your clubsport come with car mats???
Collected mine today and didn’t come included!

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 15 July 2021, 05:40 »
Did your clubsport come with car mats???
Collected mine today and didn’t come included!

Speak to your dealer.  You should've got a front and rear set of standard mats.  There are 'premium' ones and those are spec only.  I got a full set of the standard ones with mine, though.
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport