Author Topic: Cracked sunroof surround  (Read 54177 times)

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
Re: Cracked sunroof surround
« Reply #210 on: 04 June 2022, 22:21 »
It's a amazing how much rubber there is back there... I thought I'd got every bit and then I found a seal low down between the doors, doesn't like sitting in the sun which I unfortunately can't avoid on one side. 

2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline KieranD79

• Not said much yet
« Reply #211 on: 22 June 2022, 12:42 »
This is quite a worrying situation.

I'm thinking about purchasing a 2019 GTI PP that happens to have a Panoramic roof.  I'm not bothered by the fact it has one as it's not on my wish list... but everything else it has is!

So is this just a 'thing' for the TCRs or is it all GTI models?

I too am concerned that once the car is out of manufacture warranty you'd have to foot the bill if it did crack.
2019 Mk7.5 GTI PP, DSG, Indium Grey, Arts Velour, 90% tints, Brescia’s

Gone but not forgotten - 2012 Mk6 GTI, Manual, Carbon Grey, Leather, RNS510 Nav, Bi-xenons, Glendale’s, Lux Pack, Cruise

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here
« Reply #212 on: 22 June 2022, 13:09 »

I'm thinking about purchasing a 2019 GTI PP that happens to have a Panoramic roof.  I'm not bothered by the fact it has one as it's not on my wish list... but everything else it has is!

I too am concerned that once the car is out of manufacture warranty you'd have to foot the bill if it did crack.
Seems to be any MK7.5 2019/20.  Maybe the one you are looking at has already been replaced, worth checking with VW?

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #213 on: 22 June 2022, 15:22 »

Seems to be any MK7.5 2019/20.  Maybe the one you are looking at has already been replaced, worth checking with VW?

Some US owners over on golfmk7.com have also had issues with cracked sunroof surrounds on earlier mk7’s. US mk7’s would’ve been built at VW’s Puebla factory in Mexico, so there may also have been an issue in that factory with the improper installation of the sunroof assembly into cars like there was on 2019/20 mk7.5 cars built at Wolfsburg.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #214 on: 22 June 2022, 17:08 »
Obviously I can't guarantee it but I'd have thought if it is going to go it would've done so by now.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #215 on: 23 June 2022, 09:47 »
My brother had this issue on his newly purchased TCR, the roof part flipped off on the dual carraigeway on the way to the VW dealer, when he got there they told him it had been poorly repaired by someone else and it would cost £7000 to repair!

Luckily the VW dealer who ferried the work out covered the cost with their insurance :lipsrsealed:

MK7 GTi

Offline funboxster

• Not said much yet
« Reply #216 on: 28 January 2023, 16:23 »

So, after trawling all 22 pages first, I'm joining the cracked pan roof surround club! I have a 69 plate TCR. I was aware of this issue, so check my roof regularly. I washed the car today and there it is on passenger side, from front corner of roof, across the surround to the A pillar. Such a brilliant car, this is the first issue I've had with it.

I'll be ringing my local VW dealer on Monday, Peter Cooper in Chichester. Luckily, I took out the All-in plan back in Sept, so expect this to be covered. I also know the service manager pretty well.

Will keep you posted
Pure White MY 2020 GTI TCR 19" Reifnitz with DCC, Pan Roof and Climate Windscreen

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #217 on: 28 January 2023, 16:54 »

So, after trawling all 22 pages first, I'm joining the cracked pan roof surround club! I have a 69 plate TCR. I was aware of this issue, so check my roof regularly. I washed the car today and there it is on passenger side, from front corner of roof, across the surround to the A pillar. Such a brilliant car, this is the first issue I've had with it.

I'll be ringing my local VW dealer on Monday, Peter Cooper in Chichester. Luckily, I took out the All-in plan back in Sept, so expect this to be covered. I also know the service manager pretty well.

Will keep you posted

Unfortunately I don’t think the All-In warranty covers it. Sunroof assemblies fall within the definition of ‘Bodywork’ and bodywork is excluded under the All-In warranty - see below.

Hopefully the service manger will be able to pull a few strings and get the dealer to agree to make a goodwill contribution towards the cost of repairs.

Good luck (fingers crossed for you).

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline funboxster

• Not said much yet
« Reply #218 on: 28 January 2023, 17:09 »
Boo hoo! I must be honest, I didn't read the exclusions, just naturally assumed I was buying another two years warranty. Otherwise, what's the point of the check that had to be carried out, prior to ok'ing the purchase of the All-in. I suppose that related to the oily bits.

As you say, hopefully, they'll play nicely!
Pure White MY 2020 GTI TCR 19" Reifnitz with DCC, Pan Roof and Climate Windscreen

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #219 on: 28 January 2023, 17:15 »
Oh the joy of extended car warranties - total pain, I had a nightmare with Land Rover a few years ago.
Good luck with getting it fixed🤞🤞
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.