Author Topic: Cracked sunroof surround  (Read 55684 times)

Offline dilligolf

• Not said much yet
Re: Cracked sunroof surround
« Reply #230 on: 05 March 2023, 14:08 »
Hello All,

My first post on the forum, as up ‘til now all my questions have been answered in all the threads on the forum.

I picked up my 69 plate in September with 3 months of the 3 year manufacturer warranty remaining, and after getting through the winter with no crack I thought I’d be clear of the issue!

Low and behold the cold snap over the 1st week in February, and a crack appeared on the passenger side, with the car 10 weeks out of its 3 year manufacturer warranty (6% over).

Initially the local dealer would not progress a claim, advising I speak to VW Customer Services UK, who advised they could not progress without an investigation. Booked the car in with the local dealer (2nd person I’ve dealt with has been so helpful), and VW will cover the cost of the part, and I’m expected to cover the labour. Car is 6% outside of warranty so shall be progressing VW to also cover the labour, and shall look into the trading standards when something “… is just outside of the warranty…”.

The local dealer is then arranging a quote from a coachworks shop for the surround replacement, which to me doesn’t seem right, or more the local dealer has no experience in replacing a surround.

The forum post https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/cracked-sunroof-surround.414743/ contains a technical bulletin https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/MC-10122113-9999.pdf for sunroof work, so VW service centres should be able to carry out the repair?

I might call around other dealers service centres in the area too see what they say.

My other concern is, is this going to be a 3 year cost, as the surround suffers torsional forces from body roll, as well and expansion and contraction during cold/hot spells...

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #231 on: 05 March 2023, 15:14 »
@dilligolf; welcome to the forum. Although it’s very annoying, I think I’d be inclined to go with VW’s offer of covering the cost of the part.

I’ve read on forums in the past where warrantable issues have arisen just outside the warranty period and customershave pushed for VW to cover 100% of the cost (parts and labour) after VW have made an initial offer to cover part of the cost. VW have then withdrawn their initial offer, leaving the customer to fund 100% of the cost.

I maybe wrong but I believe that there was at least one other case on this forum where the work to replace the cracked sunroof surround was carried out by a third party body shop, so contracting out these types of job does happen. Edit; see posts #143 and #143 on page 15 of this discussion thread.

The technical bulletin you’ve provided the link to is a VW USA document, so whether or not sunroof repairs are carried out by a VW dealer or the work is contracted out may be different in the US compared to the UK.

Good luck with getting this resolved, and please keep the forum updated on progress and the outcome.
« Last Edit: 05 March 2023, 15:48 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #232 on: 05 March 2023, 16:24 »
Mine was also replaced by a third party, a windscreen fitter. I wouldn't expect a VW bodyshop to employ windscreen fitters so that sounds right to me too. Mine has been fine since it was replaced back in September 2020, the fitter apparently said there wasn't enough bonding material which presumably meant there were voids allowing too much flex in the surround. Hope you get yours sorted satisfactorily.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline funboxster

• Not said much yet
« Reply #233 on: 05 March 2023, 17:04 »
Welcome to the forum dilligolf.

If you see my post on the previous page, VW are covering the part cost and I'm paying for the labour. Mine was 5 months OOW, and is booked in for 28 March for 2 days. My local dealer didn't bother trying via the All in warranty route. They went straight to VW. Good luck in getting it resolved.
Pure White MY 2020 GTI TCR 19" Reifnitz with DCC, Pan Roof and Climate Windscreen

Offline dilligolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #234 on: 06 March 2023, 10:13 »
Thank you @SRGTD, thanks for the fore-warning, and for the info of the surround being replaced by a 3rd party.
The technical bulletin – acknowledge is USA specific, I assumed as the bulletin covered parts which looked like they were under the surround, I assumed VM service centres would have been trained in the removal of a surround.

Hi @watts, I read you posts which were helpful, and interesting to hear yours was replaced by a windscreen fitter, which makes sense as its glass related.
Do you know how it was arranged via a windscreen fitter, was it VW put you in contact with a body shop, who then subcontracted to the windscreen fitter? I can only assume the windscreen fitter has prior surround experience if they’re able to spot the lack of bonding material..

Hi @funboxter, yes saw your post also, and we’re in the same boat. Is your dealer arranging the repair via a body shop, or windscreen fitter?
In full agreement with you the surround, or the original fitting of the surround was a manufacturing defect.

What irks me and I’m sure it does you all too, is a known problem, and while not a manufacturing defect of the car, the poor construction on the assembly line leads to a component failure.. with VW negligent in some way.

Thanks all for you replies, and will keep you updated.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #235 on: 06 March 2023, 10:23 »
This shows the process to change the panel, might be of interest:

https://www.vwgolf.org/removing_and_installing_front_trim_for_sliding_sunroof-625.html

The dealer took the car to their own bodyshop where the windscreen fitter completed the work. They had the car for three days.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline dilligolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #236 on: 06 March 2023, 13:05 »
This shows the process to change the panel, might be of interest:

https://www.vwgolf.org/removing_and_installing_front_trim_for_sliding_sunroof-625.html

The dealer took the car to their own bodyshop where the windscreen fitter completed the work. They had the car for three days.

Thanks @watts.
That’s a handy doc! I was surprised when the dealer mentioned cutting, but it now makes sense from reviewing the doc.
I’ve downloaded it for reference, and can only hope the 3.2 hours of labour will cover all the work as advised by @funboxster

Cheers again

Offline funboxster

• Not said much yet
« Reply #237 on: 06 March 2023, 15:00 »
Hi @funboxter, yes saw your post also, and we’re in the same boat. Is your dealer arranging the repair via a body shop, or windscreen fitter?
In full agreement with you the surround, or the original fitting of the surround was a manufacturing defect.

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that. They want it for 2 days and they're providing a courtesy car. I'll ask when it goes, who's doing the work.

Pure White MY 2020 GTI TCR 19" Reifnitz with DCC, Pan Roof and Climate Windscreen

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #238 on: 06 March 2023, 15:50 »
Mine went through a body shop also.

They had actually done 7 iirc over the past couple of months when I took mine in. They also said mine would be the last as the payment to time needed did not justify them taking the work.

It’s not a quick job to do well/thoroughly as I understand it.

Just mentioning in case you are paying for labour.

As a side note (again from memory) it wasn’t lack of glue that was the issue it was rather too much where it did not allow for any flex/movement.
Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline dilligolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #239 on: 08 March 2023, 11:26 »
Thanks @funboxster and @CookieMonsterGTi,

I’m waiting to hear back from the dealers who are determining the labour costs, my fear is as it’s out of warranty, and I assume it takes more than the 3.2 hours, it will be a hefty bill as @CookieMonsterGTi alluded to with the body shop payment to time…

In the mean time I’ve put a good old strip of Sellotape over the crack during this rainy / snowy week!!

Cheers again