Author Topic: Cracked sunroof surround  (Read 55712 times)

Offline funboxster

• Not said much yet
Re: Cracked sunroof surround
« Reply #220 on: 28 January 2023, 19:05 »
Thanks. I reckon the CRA 2015 will be my basis to argue on, if VW cut up rough. Not fit for purpose, and/or it's reasonable to expect the surround should last longer than 3 years.

I like a challenge.  Off piste, but I used it against McLaren 5 years ago for my 570GT, when after a year of on/off problems, I wrote a letter and the dealer gave me all my money back, even though a year old and 5k miles.
Pure White MY 2020 GTI TCR 19" Reifnitz with DCC, Pan Roof and Climate Windscreen

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #221 on: 28 January 2023, 22:20 »
Good luck funboxster, sorry to hear your's has gone too.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline funboxster

• Not said much yet
« Reply #222 on: 10 February 2023, 10:41 »
Took my 2019 TCR into my local dealer this morning for them to look at. My car is 5 months out of original warranty, but I have the All in service plan. They've taken some pix of the crack and will upload and send to VW. I should hear within a week whether they're going to play nicely. They said if it's deemed mechanical, it will be covered, if bodywork, it won't. Now let me guess.....
The service manager, who I know, did say he'll see what he can do for me.
Will update when I hear more.
Pure White MY 2020 GTI TCR 19" Reifnitz with DCC, Pan Roof and Climate Windscreen

Offline funboxster

• Not said much yet
« Reply #223 on: 23 February 2023, 14:31 »
Took my 2019 TCR into my local dealer this morning for them to look at. My car is 5 months out of original warranty, but I have the All in service plan. They've taken some pix of the crack and will upload and send to VW. I should hear within a week whether they're going to play nicely. They said if it's deemed mechanical, it will be covered, if bodywork, it won't. Now let me guess.....

So, my local dealer rang back today to advise that VW are prepared to pay for the trim if I pay for the 3.2 hours of labour, which at their 'warranty" rate means I have to pay £303 inc VAT. No doubt, the trim is the cheaper option for VW. I'm tempted to challenge this, but concerned VW will withdraw the offer. I would be interested in your views on this.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #224 on: 23 February 2023, 14:45 »

So, my local dealer rang back today to advise that VW are prepared to pay for the trim if I pay for the 3.2 hours of labour, which at their 'warranty" rate means I have to pay £303 inc VAT. No doubt, the trim is the cheaper option for VW. I'm tempted to challenge this, but concerned VW will withdraw the offer. I would be interested in your views on this.

Why not ring another VW and request a quote for the surround? Just a case of asking parts department to look it up, or I'm sure someone else here will have the part number on their repair invoice.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #225 on: 23 February 2023, 14:47 »
I agree that in principal VW should cover the full cost but how much of an argument do you want to get involved in? They may cave if you push or you may have to get solicitors involved. Your call of course. If it helps, I have an invoice from when mine was replaced in 2020 which shows the panel at £537 ex vat. I would guess at cost VW are effectively going 50/50 with you. Good luck :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline funboxster

• Not said much yet
« Reply #226 on: 23 February 2023, 15:06 »
Thank you both for your replies. I'm leaning towards accepting their offer. Thanks Watts for advising 2020 cost of surround.

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #227 on: 23 February 2023, 21:29 »
I would go to another garage and ask them to warranty claim for it.

No reason why it should not be picked up 100%. It’s a manufacturing defect. They already admitted this and paid 100% for other folks. I would expect this would be covered under some kind of “fit for purpose” type of law.

Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline funboxster

• Not said much yet
« Reply #228 on: 24 February 2023, 16:56 »
I would go to another garage and ask them to warranty claim for it.

No reason why it should not be picked up 100%. It’s a manufacturing defect. They already admitted this and paid 100% for other folks. I would expect this would be covered under some kind of “fit for purpose” type of law.

I had already written to VW and quoted CRA 2015, not fit for purpose, or of reasonable quality. It should last longer than 41 months! A holding email has been received.

The local dealer did tell me today the roof surround cost is £986 + VAT! Assuming that's true, then VW's goodwill offer is fair, but I still think it should be done FOC. I like a challenge!

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #229 on: 24 February 2023, 19:15 »
A fair offer when the car is quite a bit older than 41 months for a known manufacturing defect…

Keep pursuing. It’s not like your garage is going to revoke the offer.

Wait for VW to get back/try another local dealership.
Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass