Author Topic: Alloy kerbed-how can i fix it myself  (Read 8470 times)

Offline cousma

• Just got here
Alloy kerbed-how can i fix it myself
« on: 23 June 2019, 01:51 »
Hello,
I have a Golf GTI performance 2019 model and unfortunately i scratched the alloy rim. How can i easily fix it myself? I have seen some videos on YouTube where people use some sandpaper initially and then add some filler then add primer and finally they paint it. Others use some sandpaper then primer and paint. Has anyone done something similar? I can post a photo of the rim.
If somebody has fixed a kerbed alloy i would appreciate if they could share how they did it. My rim is a 18' standard alloy wheel that come with the 2019 GTI.

Thanks

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
Re: Alloy kerbed-how can i fix it myself
« Reply #1 on: 23 June 2019, 10:35 »
If it’s a Diamond cut wheel (like a Parker) I think it will be very difficult to DIY repair.
If it’s a painted alloy it’s quite straight forward, sand, fill, sand, prime, paint - but unless you paint the whole wheel, you will see the repair.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 23 June 2019, 14:25 »
I assume the damage is on the outer edge so to do a half decent job the tyre will most definitely have to be removed, IMO I'd either just live with it or just get it refurbed by a professional and watch out for the kerbs next time.

By the time you've bought decent lacquer, several grades of wet & dry you will be already close to the cost of a refurb.

You mention using filler and then primer but if you have kerbed it then surely the damage is on the outer edge where it's just lacquered bare alloy, filler and primer would be of no use to you there.

Offline cousma

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 24 June 2019, 10:47 »
This is my wheel and you can see the damage on the top left. Is it a diamond cut wheel? Can anybody tell?

« Last Edit: 24 June 2019, 10:55 by cousma »

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 24 June 2019, 16:32 »
Yep - Parker, Diamond Cut - the way they are finished is the manufacturer takes the wheel, paints it all black and then takes the paint of on the ‘bare’ alloy wheels (the Diamond Cut), then lacquers it. Not feasible for a DIY repair I’m afraid - will need a professional finish - if you fill and paint, it will look terrible.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline cousma

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 24 June 2019, 17:02 »
So you recommend to go to a wheel refurbishing shop to fix it?
Do you have any recommendations? I am in Glasgow.

Thanks.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 24 June 2019, 17:39 »
Definitely pay to get it repaired but I’m sorry I don’t know anywhere in Glasgow, I’m in Manchester

Offline Adam T7

• I live here

Offline cousma

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 17 July 2019, 13:20 »
Thank you!