Author Topic: Seized Wastegate  (Read 5255 times)

Offline p9ul

• Not said much yet
Seized Wastegate
« on: 15 May 2014, 18:36 »
Typical - 3 days after picking up a MK7 GTD, my MK4 150PD calls it a day  :cry:

Car was way down on power a couple of days ago so took it to my local garage - plugging it into the computer revealed that the turbo actuator was at fault, but today I've discovered that that wasnt the problem - it turns out the wastegate on the turbo has seized.

How much are reconditioned turbo's? I understand they're megabucks!  :undecided:

Car has done close to 150k - I'm wondering if it's worth replacing or trying to sell it as it stands...

Offline EsSeX dAn

• I live here
Re: Seized Wastegate
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2014, 23:14 »
i thought these turbos didnt have a wastegate as it had a vnt mechanism. may be wrong though. try wiggling the actuator and cleaning out the turbo with mr muscle oven cleaner squirted up where the downpipe bolts onto, then rinse it out with meths or something similar. this might help you a bit!
i think i love you.....

Offline p9ul

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2014, 08:45 »
Cheers for the response, that lot is beyond me though.

The mechanics already had the turbo off the car and whatever it is that's seized isn't budging...

Offline Adam

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2014, 09:30 »
They don't have a wastgate but they do have a VNT system that can seise up. My money is on the VNT.

Down Hill From Here.

Offline p9ul

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2014, 20:01 »
Well, whatever it was that was seized, the garage have managed to free it up and the car is going fine again - in fact it's a bit less smoky...

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2014, 21:10 »
Well, whatever it was that was seized, the garage have managed to free it up and the car is going fine again - in fact it's a bit less smoky...

Did they strip and clean it out??  If not then it will be fine for a little bit longer......but it wont last  :sad: