Author Topic: How quick is the GTD  (Read 12595 times)

Offline AMarsh

• Not said much yet
Re: How quick is the GTD
« Reply #10 on: 03 October 2013, 14:42 »
I've had my new black GTD since Monday.

It is a Personal Contract Hire car for two years, so I am never going to own the car.  As such, I'm probably a bit less worried about running the engine in and keeping the revs down.  Maybe I'm just a chav!  :smiley:

I know the engine will loosen off, but my initial thoughts are that you are not going to be killing people in 'at the lights' races.  There are def 2 changes required to get the most out of the car (1 to 2 and 2 to 3) to 60 and if you get outwith the main torque band by over revving there is a noticeable drop in power. 

In 3rd and 4th them pull is really quite something.  You can find yourself going lose your license speeds.  The worrying thing is you feel like you are sitting at 40!

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 03 October 2013, 15:00 »
That's the beauty of DSG. Just hit the go faster pedal and don't worry about the gears  :evil:
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline andyk11

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 04 October 2013, 09:30 »

I know the engine will loosen off, but my initial thoughts are that you are not going to be killing people in 'at the lights' races.  There are def 2 changes required to get the most out of the car (1 to 2 and 2 to 3) to 60 and if you get outwith the main torque band by over revving there is a noticeable drop in power. 

In 3rd and 4th them pull is really quite something.  You can find yourself going lose your license speeds.  The worrying thing is you feel like you are sitting at 40!

This is what I've found too.  I've found that keeping it between 1900 - 3000 rpm in 3rd/4th/5th it's possible to cover ground pretty quickly.

I got embarrassed by a new Porsche Boxter last night on a dual-carriage way :embarrassed: Admittedly I'm not taking it over 3k and taking it steady at the moment but the way that thing screamed off into the distance was bl00dy impressive!

I think where the GTD excels is being a comfortable, everyday car but with enough power and great handling to make decent progress.
Tornado Red GTD ordered 25th April, confirmed BW34. Built sometime in BW36, now in the UK and delivered 27/09 :-)

mjh_056

« Reply #13 on: 04 October 2013, 10:00 »

This is what I've found too.  I've found that keeping it between 1900 - 3000 rpm in 3rd/4th/5th it's possible to cover ground pretty quickly.

I got embarrassed by a new Porsche Boxter last night on a dual-carriage way :embarrassed: Admittedly I'm not taking it over 3k and taking it steady at the moment but the way that thing screamed off into the distance was bl00dy impressive!

I think where the GTD excels is being a comfortable, everyday car but with enough power and great handling to make decent progress.

That is what you get exactly in performance diesel in that it might not be a true hot hatch but it is still entertainingly fast with that lovely torque rush which once you are totally in tune with the car and how it delivers it's performance you ride that wave innately - definitely drive it differently than would a petrol in how get the performance.

As my engines loosened up I found the revs you can take the accelleration up to increases before needing to change.

Not much will embarrass you on a road still and I would not call having a Porsche Boxter blast by an embarrassment as not anything I would pitch GTD at.

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 04 October 2013, 10:30 »
That is what you get exactly in performance diesel in that it might not be a true hot hatch but it is still entertainingly fast with that lovely torque rush which once you are totally in tune with the car and how it delivers it's performance you ride that wave innately - definitely drive it differently than would a petrol in how get the performance.

As my engines loosened up I found the revs you can take the accelleration up to increases before needing to change.

Not much will embarrass you on a road still and I would not call having a Porsche Boxter blast by an embarrassment as not anything I would pitch GTD at.

The point here is they are cars that you can cover round in quite quickly without having to try too hard - they are typically very relaxed, if relatively uninvolving, cars to drive cross country.

Frankly, I find the power delivery (of turbo diesels) quite dull compared to a (especially normally aspirated) petrol engine; however, for my requirements, a well equipped, comfortable company car with low emissions and reasonable performance that, when I have the opportunity to press on cross country, will offer enough entertainment then I think there's little to beat the GTD.

If you are looking for a performance car, then look elsewhere... for similar or (significantly) less money you could buy some serious performance... but, there's always a compromise... fuel consumption is one which, if you do a lot of miles, could be significant...

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

mjh_056

« Reply #15 on: 04 October 2013, 12:07 »

The point here is they are cars that you can cover round in quite quickly without having to try too hard - they are typically very relaxed, if relatively uninvolving, cars to drive cross country.

Frankly, I find the power delivery (of turbo diesels) quite dull compared to a (especially normally aspirated) petrol engine; however, for my requirements, a well equipped, comfortable company car with low emissions and reasonable performance that, when I have the opportunity to press on cross country, will offer enough entertainment then I think there's little to beat the GTD.

If you are looking for a performance car, then look elsewhere... for similar or (significantly) less money you could buy some serious performance... but, there's always a compromise... fuel consumption is one which, if you do a lot of miles, could be significant...

Think you nailed it there in describing in that when people talk up the diesel performance it is not because they think the petrol engines do not give better performance it is because they have other considerations that make the diesel their choice and they then go onto describe the very decent performance you can get still

Fom my perspective I do genuinely not think it is dull, the torque rush is something I have grown to love and as I am so in tune with the performance band I ride it as second nature now and in doing so get the max out of it.

If I had an expectation and was to drive it like a petrol however I would probably be disappointed as it loses it's impetus at redline.

Always admitted if had the choice it would be GTI or R without question but if it has to be a diesel then may as well get one of best out there :)

Offline Valenni

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 09 October 2013, 10:16 »
Having driven an M3 in the past the power delivery is a different kind, but great fun and effortless.

It's more engaging when you hit the power when passing someone who is also trying to keep up, and when you see the other car huffing and squealing to try an keep up while you hardly break a sweat, that's when it's most fun. (And you realise how much power the thing actually has on a rolling road).
Proud owner of a Pure white Golf GTD  - Adaptive Chassis Control - Panoramic sunroof - Dynaudio sound pack.

Offline AMarsh

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 10 October 2013, 00:43 »
Faster than a 1?d.   :smiley:

After all my chat about you will not "destroy cars at the light races", I pulled up at the lights to a stationary unmarked 1 series.  Had the kit and alloys, so was def an m sport of some description.  I couldn't resist when he started revving his engine (no mistaking it was a diesel).  Decent race through first and to an extent second, but in 3rd the gtd pulled away easy.  My heart says 120d my head is 116d :-)

Drove for 2 hours more on Scottish roads up north.  Covers the ground in a nondescript manner at really impressive speeds.I know it us probably a more petrol thing but for all the diesel torque, my favourite was putting that Beemer in it's place!

Offline virginVWman

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 10 October 2013, 12:25 »
Faster than a 1?d.   :smiley:

After all my chat about you will not "destroy cars at the light races", I pulled up at the lights to a stationary unmarked 1 series.  Had the kit and alloys, so was def an m sport of some description.  I couldn't resist when he started revving his engine (no mistaking it was a diesel).  Decent race through first and to an extent second, but in 3rd the gtd pulled away easy.  My heart says 120d my head is 116d :-)

Drove for 2 hours more on Scottish roads up north.  Covers the ground in a nondescript manner at really impressive speeds.I know it us probably a more petrol thing but for all the diesel torque, my favourite was putting that Beemer in it's place!

The gtd would sh*t all over a 116d...I've had one few years back for six months. Not only was it awful it was so god damn slow.
Mk VII 3dr GTD in DBP
Fitted DTUK Stage 2 (CRD-T)

Offline MajorKhan

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 10 October 2013, 12:34 »
WHO WOULD GET A 116D for speed.....and vs a 2.0gtd.....thats like comparing the merc a450 amg with the vw gti......
From a Pulsar GTIR, MK4 Golf 1.8t, BMW 1series, BMW 330, Merc C280, A3 TDi, A4 2.0t Quattro...on order Mk7 T/Red GTD nav/pan roof/dynoaudio and ABT headlight brow BW44!