Author Topic: How quick is the GTD  (Read 12596 times)

Offline MajorKhan

• GTI forum regular
How quick is the GTD
« on: 02 October 2013, 18:05 »
I know the figures are in the brochure but now some guys have had them for a while, how quick is this car compared to other TDi's.....lets get a real review from an British  driver on British roads!!!
From a Pulsar GTIR, MK4 Golf 1.8t, BMW 1series, BMW 330, Merc C280, A3 TDi, A4 2.0t Quattro...on order Mk7 T/Red GTD nav/pan roof/dynoaudio and ABT headlight brow BW44!

Offline tambourine

• Not said much yet
Re: How quick is the GTD
« Reply #1 on: 02 October 2013, 18:42 »
Not as quick as a MK7 Gti... :laugh:

Offline MajorKhan

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 02 October 2013, 19:03 »
R quicker then GTI :smug:
From a Pulsar GTIR, MK4 Golf 1.8t, BMW 1series, BMW 330, Merc C280, A3 TDi, A4 2.0t Quattro...on order Mk7 T/Red GTD nav/pan roof/dynoaudio and ABT headlight brow BW44!

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 02 October 2013, 19:15 »
Not as quick as a MK7 Gti... :laugh:
is that you hoping it's not or do you know for certain??
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline tambourine

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 02 October 2013, 19:31 »
I am waiting to get my GTD... However it all depends on who is driving as to which is quicker from A to B.

Offline MajorKhan

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 02 October 2013, 19:32 »
Not far off I hope with a map....

Offline blueheaduk

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 02 October 2013, 20:10 »
Have just gone from a TDI to a GTI and to be fair going at speed limits theres very little difference.

GTI is faster off the line and maybe 60-70. You need high revs though to get all that power and you get a great noise with it.

Diesel pulls like a train in the 30-50 range though and I'm sure with the actuator and things it probably sounds great too.

The GTD is most definitely the "sensible" choice and unless you're looking for extremely high end race style you're not gonna be disappointed by getting one.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 02 October 2013, 23:30 »
It's as quick as a MK6 GTI through the gears, but off the line it's delivery of torque is going to mean that traction is an issue. The Audi A3 with same engine and Quattro is 0.6s quicker 0-62, all due to better traction off the line, so remaps aren't going to improve the 0-62 dramatically, but in gear acceleration can always be improved. If you have been in a MK6 GTI then you'll know what to expect. Doesn't feel as quick as my 170TDI CR Scirocco, the improved refinement makes the GTD (and the GTI) feel slower than they actually are. Then again, my 170TDI CR Scirocco felt slower than my MK5 170TDI PD Golf, but the dials told a different story.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 03 October 2013, 10:24 »
I know the figures are in the brochure but now some guys have had them for a while, how quick is this car compared to other TDi's.....lets get a real review from an British  driver on British roads!!!

What are you used to? If you're used to supercar performance, GTD is very slow... If you're driving a 20 year old Ford Ka, the GTD is very fast... I suppose, what I'm trying to say is that it is all relative.

There seems to be a predilection for 0-60 times on this forum and many seem to think that "life is just a bet on a race between the lights" but in normal driving on the road I would expect that there is very little to chose between the GTD and most hot hatches diesel or petrol. On a country lane, without long straights, I would expect a GTI driver to have to work very hard to pull out any sort of a gap over a similarly skilled driver in a GTD...

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

mjh_056

« Reply #9 on: 03 October 2013, 11:18 »

What are you used to? If you're used to supercar performance, GTD is very slow... If you're driving a 20 year old Ford Ka, the GTD is very fast... I suppose, what I'm trying to say is that it is all relative.

There seems to be a predilection for 0-60 times on this forum and many seem to think that "life is just a bet on a race between the lights" but in normal driving on the road I would expect that there is very little to chose between the GTD and most hot hatches diesel or petrol. On a country lane, without long straights, I would expect a GTI driver to have to work very hard to pull out any sort of a gap over a similarly skilled driver in a GTD...

One of reasons there was no dilemma on performance from me, and those who similarly have driven performance diesels in that we understand the power and have grown to know how to use it, I definitely drive the Diesel differently to what I would a petrol as utilise and ride that torque band.

So it was an easy and instant tick as in day to day driving across all the varying roads my present more than holds it's own have no memories in 6 years of being embarrassed by anything at all and expect the GTD to at least match that experience with greater comfort being my main aim this time around.

If retain what have now and get the greater comfort I am seeking then think with the economy I would be in the complete car for me. - here is hoping.

My only dilemma was the red strip, as no matter what anyone says you are drawn to the history of it but too many ££ overall to justify for me.