Author Topic: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?  (Read 630850 times)

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
Re: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?
« Reply #3140 on: 18 May 2022, 17:25 »
My 65 MPH rattle has returned after a few months' blissful silence.  Guess my fettling/realignment of the passenger front wheel arch liner & underbody trim was just a temporary reprieve. 

Have just picked up a new N/S/F wheel arch liner and brand new fixings from the dealership.  This weekend's job will be to swop it out and see if that brings serenity to my daily commute once again.  :rolleyes:  Hoping the new rigid plastic liner and brand new fixings may eliminate the play/vibration causing the rattle heard in the passenger footwell.  Fingers crossed.

Even if it doesn't, I will have briefly achieved having one very clean inner wheel arch. You'd be proud Joe6!  :wink:
Mk8 GTI Clubsport | Pure White | DCC | Black Estorils | HUD | a fair few options

Previous: Mk6 GTI | Candy White | Manual | DCC | Dynaudio | Cruise | Winter Pack | Lux Pack | Rear Camera & F/R Parking Sensors

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #3141 on: 24 May 2022, 15:14 »
Still struggling with finding where the rattles are. Tried the small knee drawer catch, sunglass holder, radio wiring in the dash and cigarette ash holder and flap, heater plastic piping under the dash and pollen filter holder but still have some dash rattles but not as bad. Adhesive felt roll just arrived and clips for the door cards so can have a go at that next. Will also check the plastic front wing liners again but no going to clean them this time  :smiley:. Hope the new liners sort your problem.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3142 on: 05 June 2022, 14:41 »
Yesterday I finally got round to replacing the front passenger wheel arch liner and the piece of underbody trim that it locates into with all new fixing screws.  See the photo with the yellow arrows to see the rattle causing area I'm talking about.  Note the "arrow photo" was taken before I'd replaced the underbody piece of locator trim.

All in the hope that new plastic trim (with no warp or wear) will stop the wheel liner's locator tab popping out, vibrating and causing my rattle in the passenger footwell at 65+ MPH.

Initial test drive on dual-carriageway at 70 MPH and the rattle is gone from the bottom of the A-pillar!  :grin:.  Fingers crossed this is it finally sorted and I can have peace and quiet on my commute to work.

@joe6, sorry to hear you're still trying to locate your dash rattles :cry:.  Though I think your tactic to replace the door card clips is a good call.  A tedious, but necessary process of elimination in catching the rattle sounds bouncing round the cabin.

Mk8 GTI Clubsport | Pure White | DCC | Black Estorils | HUD | a fair few options

Previous: Mk6 GTI | Candy White | Manual | DCC | Dynaudio | Cruise | Winter Pack | Lux Pack | Rear Camera & F/R Parking Sensors

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #3143 on: 05 June 2022, 17:54 »
Glad the rattles fixed.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #3144 on: 06 June 2022, 11:57 »
Glad yours is sorted. :smiley: Must get round to further investigation with mine but been a bit busy this last two weeks.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3145 on: 29 June 2022, 18:17 »
Glad yours is sorted. :smiley: Must get round to further investigation with mine but been a bit busy this last two weeks.

Cheers Joe6.  Think it's been squashed, no more rattle in the cabin since replacing the wheel arch liner!  :cool:   Appreciate allocating time to locate car rattles is not the most exciting.  :grin:

Car's been in to have some more work done. Alternator belt has been replaced and due to the crystal ball needed on the Mk8 order I had the brake servo changed too. The mechanic suspected that the diaphragm in the servo may have been damaged/torn, causing the vacuum leak and hissing noise in the cabin when not braking. 

Further quiet in the cabin has been achieved with the servo replacement. With the reassurance that I've got a new brake servo and I'll not need to stop the car by putting my feet into the engine bay Fred Flintstone style if the old one had failed!  :grin: 
« Last Edit: 02 July 2022, 12:42 by Bluto »

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #3146 on: 01 July 2022, 11:49 »

Further quiet in the cabin has been achieved. With reassurance that I've got a new brake servo and I'll not need to stop the car by putting my feet into the engine bay Fred Flintstone style if the old one had failed!  :grin:
:laugh:

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3147 on: 12 August 2022, 16:02 »
GTI back from an air-con service and the dreaded MOT test.  MOT passed with no advisories; all green.  :wink:   Who knows this could be my last MOT for a while if the Mk8 does decide to make an appearance next year.  :rolleyes: 

Will enjoy the remainder of the British summer with ice cold air. :cool:

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #3148 on: 15 August 2022, 13:04 »
That reminds me I need to get the aircon serviced on mine.  :cool:

Glad it went through another MOT OK and I hope the Mk8 turns up sometime soon for you.
« Last Edit: 15 August 2022, 13:09 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #3149 on: 15 August 2022, 13:11 »
Bought it another battery just need to get my ass into gear and fit it now. I  couldn't be bothered to fit it yet and used the heat as an excuse  :cool: and just used another car.  :grin:
Alarm siren is flagging up on vcds too as battery below lower limit. So probably have to fork out for another one of these.  :laugh: Siren was replaced at 3yrs old so guess they only last 3 or 9 yrs  :grin:
Aircons also running alittle low so will have to get that serviced too.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI