Author Topic: AcidicDavey's 96 Golf GTi Blue Colour Concept, GONE!  (Read 19806 times)

Offline AcidicDavey

• Here all the time
  • Not a VAG Owner.
Hi all, I'm quite new here and I'm a Volvo man at heart but decided to take the V70 off the road and buy something different so I bought this.

A 96 VW MK3 Golf GTi 2.0 8v Colour Concept.

A nice little car with loads of cool features such as heated leather, electric sunroof and other goodies.

It's on adjustable coilovers and it has a rather loud cat back s/s exhaust. The ride is very hard and everyone that's been in it has moaned they feel sick lol

Mileage is high (156K) but less than 2K ago it's gearbox exploded and a replacement with 65K on it was found and fitted along with a new clutch kit and crank seal. There are no unusual noises and doesn't smoke at all! New MOT and taxed until end of September.

Overall she's quite smart but there are a couple of marks here and there but nothing worth mentioning. The side moldings have been painted unfortunately and will be difficult to find replacements due to small cc badges. The rear is debadged and smoothed over which is a bit annoying, but I could just get a replacement, but again difficult to find in this 'special' colour.

The interior is in need of a good valet, plus some new bits. One door pin is missing, the fascia trim around the stereo is missing, the gear knob is totally screwed, the headlining is sagging a small bit in the rear corner, one dash vent is missing it's side to side air guides, the parcel shelf had speakers in them but as they weren't connect I've taken them out also the driver's bolster is worn somewhat.

The wheels are Audi A3 items and these will go for golf spec BBS wheels.

Anyway, here it is!

Stupid DUB sticker had to go, also removed a stupid blackout sunstrip on the windscreen prior to photos (why people want to make the line of vision through the windscreen smaller is beyond me!)

I cleaned up the interior before fitting my cheap £20 mats that arrived yesterday,

As you can see I really need a new gearknob, plus the handbrake handle needs dying as it's worn.

Here's the Colour Concept logo on the Recaro seats,

Plus I really need to change these badly painted side strips to change to standard unpainted strips.

Here's a close up of the A3 wheels that have grown on me a bit with my trade mark blue caps on. It had yellow metal caps on it before...

On the drive.

Bought a badgeless grill, in the post!

Right guys, on Thursday I went to a mates whom which lives up a gravel track on a hillside and when I was ready to leave the car wouldn't start! It took about 3 hrs of waiting until it finally started but it was hesitating during acceleration (I could only open the throttle 1/4). The next day (22nd) it started fine so I went to Knebworth on the 23/06 to see The Red Hot Chili Peppers as a friend had spare tickets and didn't want to see them go to waste, I wasn't sure about driving the Golf because of what happened on Thursday but we got there ok (160miles away), but getting home wasn't that easy! We did about 20miles or so and we were travelling northbound on the M1 and the car started to stutter under load in 5th and then died when we slowed down due to traffic at like 12:30!

We managed to get the car to a safe place and called for rescue to the next services (Newport Pagnell I think). We stayed in a Day Inn as it was like 2:30am and we were hoping it'd start in the morning and get us home, wishful thinking! It didn't start so I had no choice really but to call AA and join. They came out and it started straight away for them lol but cut out after a few minutes of idling so he checked for a spark but was getting mixed results so he chucked a new Ignition Coil and it was fine!! All this fooling around because of a bloody £30 part! Grrrr! But at least now it's running very smoothly and the exhaust is slightly quieter now too!

Anyway it's all sorted and fine now, I got a new gearknob, which really lifts the interior.

A new custom Silver and Blue Tax Disc Holder which is not sticky but you simply place it on something smooth like glass and just stays there! I've placed it above the rear view mirror to act like a centre sun visor, plus it looks cool there

Sorry for this guys but I've sticker bombed the petrol filler door. In this photo you can really tell that the whole car needs claying.

Here's a picture to show the rubbish radio which I'll soon replace and the damaged vent, I'll get a new one from a breakers along with a new parcel shelf and possibly a fan as the current one is wonky and vibrates through the whole car, works perfectly but has to be sorted!

My new bargain grille arrived so I've got it ready for paint. I've got new GTi badges for the front and rear to fit when ready.

That's all for now, sorry for the long post! I copied and pasted this from elsewhere so this mention of yesterday and today is all wrong!
« Last Edit: 07 October 2012, 21:41 by AcidicDavey »
95 Volvo 480 2.0 Celebration

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: AcidicDavey's 96 Golf GTi Blue Colour Concept
« Reply #1 on: 01 July 2012, 22:04 »
i like the a3 wheels on that. gd work so far

Offline dubstar9

• Here all the time
  • Back to the Golf scene
« Reply #2 on: 01 July 2012, 22:14 »
I have that stick bomb on my Cabrio, will be going when I paint it White!!!

If I have interest I'll sell the whole flap :grin:

Offline BISSONE

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 01 July 2012, 22:17 »
Ragarding the side strips, may be wrong but im sure the badges are just stuck on so if u could get them off then u could stick them on a normal set.

Offline AcidicDavey

• Here all the time
  • Not a VAG Owner.
« Reply #4 on: 01 July 2012, 22:23 »
Ragarding the side strips, may be wrong but im sure the badges are just stuck on so if u could get them off then u could stick them on a normal set.

Your right, I've got some on the way from madmanmart on here  :wink:

i like the a3 wheels on that. gd work so far

Thanks, I hated the wheels before I got the car but I like them now so they might do but I will save up for something fancy!

I have that stick bomb on my Cabrio, will be going when I paint it White!!!

If I have interest I'll sell the whole flap :grin:

I get slaughtered by friends for it  :grin:

Offline AcidicDavey

• Here all the time
  • Not a VAG Owner.
« Reply #5 on: 03 July 2012, 13:37 »
I got my new side mouldings yesterday which is good news but my old ones were glued on!!

I managed to clip the new trims to the driver's side ok but they will not stick to the passengers's side, I have no option but to stick them on on this side!

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 03 July 2012, 13:58 »
You just need new plastic lugs (green things in the holes). They're pence from the dealer, and they will hold the new trim on perfectly provided the clips are intact on the mouldings themselves. Even if not, you can buy them for very little too!
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline arran.concept

• GTI forum regular
  • Yellow Colour Concept
« Reply #7 on: 03 July 2012, 14:17 »
Just got a chance to read over this mate :) cars looking sweet, i need to get my finger out and get my paint work sorted soon then i will get some pics of my Colour Concept up  :wink: recently broke my iphone with loads of pictures from when i got the car to how ive got it now  :cry: (hope i dont loose them)

Offline AcidicDavey

• Here all the time
  • Not a VAG Owner.
« Reply #8 on: 03 July 2012, 15:02 »
You just need new plastic lugs (green things in the holes). They're pence from the dealer, and they will hold the new trim on perfectly provided the clips are intact on the mouldings themselves. Even if not, you can buy them for very little too!

Do you mean the little condom like things? as I've got them from the new clips I put on or do you mean things I don't have at all??

Just got a chance to read over this mate :) cars looking sweet, i need to get my finger out and get my paint work sorted soon then i will get some pics of my Colour Concept up  :wink: recently broke my iphone with loads of pictures from when i got the car to how ive got it now  :cry: (hope i dont loose them)

Yeah cheers mate, yh post up some pics.

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 03 July 2012, 15:38 »

Do you mean the little condom like things? as I've got them from the new clips I put on or do you mean things I don't have at all??

Yeah I suppose thats as good a comparison as any lol! There are a couple still in the door on one of your pictures. Worth getting new ones though, as they stretch over time, and I think there may actually be 2 different sizes too. If you look at the prongs on the "thingy" that goes into the "condom", there should be some with a bit more "girth" than others!  :grin:
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |