Author Topic: XENONS - Q & A retrofitting & functionality  (Read 211062 times)

Offline KennyGTI

• I live here
XENONS - Q & A retrofitting & functionality
« on: 08 September 2010, 08:58 »
Quick links:

Page 43 Docs non-OEM parts list: http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=165998.420

Page 44 Askers OEM parts list: http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=165998.430

Page 57 Mikes AFS parts list: http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=165998.560

Can you still adjust the level of your lights manaully same as us halogen users ( :sick:) I am looking to get xenons as a wee treat  :smiley: but would like to keep the cost down as much as possible so not fitting headlight washers or auto levelling sensors plus after reading through the installation of auto levellers on a MK5 has put me right off : http://furmanka.blogspot.com/2007/12/mk5-wiata-ksenonowe-z-samopoziomowaniem.html  :undecided:

So thats the point of my question, if I fit xenons will I be able to adjust the level manually still  :rolleyes:

P.S. I know it illegal to do so please no reminding me  :lipsrsealed:
« Last Edit: 21 November 2011, 11:15 by The Doc »

APR Stage 2+

Offline Radek

• GTI forum regular
  • Good things come to those who wait
Re: People With Xenons
« Reply #1 on: 08 September 2010, 09:42 »
Funnily – and contrary to the common knowledge - you do not need the levelling IF you can guarantee the beam to be always at the same level. This is possible on some older sports cars with no boot and no rear seats and a very very stiff suspension. So the only thing would be if you can adjust the lamp itself to the correct angle and do you really want to do it next to the High Voltage sticker… Auto-levelling is just for users’ convenience.

I spent some time thinking about it when ordering the car and it was one of those things that you’re better off ordering from new than trying to buy afterwards… Not that this random comment helps you anyway  :evil:
« Last Edit: 08 September 2010, 09:48 by Radek »
Golf GTI VI DSG - died on the road, resurrected, came back as zombi, sold
R - rising blue, 5-door, DSG, ACC, something something...

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 08 September 2010, 09:49 »
No...you can't. There is no adjuster on Xenon cars.

Is the non-Xenon lens a projector type?
Just wondering if you'll have problems with the beam pattern...also the indicator lenses are larger on the Xenon lights to allow them to be seen.

Will you be running DRLs?
With Xenons the dip beam full Xenon is the DRL (in the outer lights)...and without the differently positioned and larger indicator, would it still be seen with retro-fittred Xenons?

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 08 September 2010, 09:52 »

P.S. I know it illegal to do so please no reminding me  :lipsrsealed:

It's a grey area...
To buy new, the car needs cleaning and auto-levelling to be legal.
For the MOT it needs neither, just a good clear beam cut off - which is unlikely to be achieved without a projector type lens...which, looking at the pictures, it doesn't look like the non-Xenon lights have projector lenses.

Offline KennyGTI

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 08 September 2010, 10:08 »
It is OEM xenons lights i am fitting (full head light). I am worried about getting the xenons on and not being able to adjust the level if the beam is all over the shop  :sad:

APR Stage 2+

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 08 September 2010, 12:21 »
It is OEM xenons lights i am fitting (full head light). I am worried about getting the xenons on and not being able to adjust the level if the beam is all over the shop  :sad:

If you are fitting OEM housings with projector lenses, and OEM Xenons, I'd not worry Kenny.
You are already lower/stiffer than a std GTI...so as long as you keep 'em clean, I wouldn't have thought it would be an issue....once you get them set!!

Do they have manual adjusters to set the beam?
I've never checked.
Are you fitting the electric motors and controller?
I'm unsure if the facility exists to set the static beam pattern up on the OEM Xenon light clusters, with them being adaptive as standard, without going into the controller and doing some form of electronic calibration.
I assume so...but with them motoring out/in/down/up etc when switching on...I don't know.

Offline KennyGTI

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 08 September 2010, 15:54 »
Am not planning to fit the auto levellers, way too complicated and just more expense(comes as a seperate kit)! So thats why am wondering if I will be able to fit the headlights and thats all? As the halogen headlights have manual levellers switch just next to the dash brightness switch I am wondering if the xenons have this too? Seems not to though  :sad: My plan was to fit the xenons headlights and sit be able to manually adjust the level  :cry:

APR Stage 2+

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 08 September 2010, 16:20 »
Am not planning to fit the auto levellers, way too complicated and just more expense(comes as a seperate kit)! So thats why am wondering if I will be able to fit the headlights and thats all? As the halogen headlights have manual levellers switch just next to the dash brightness switch I am wondering if the xenons have this too? Seems not to though  :sad: My plan was to fit the xenons headlights and sit be able to manually adjust the level  :cry:

Deffo no adjuster switch.
I suppose you could transfer over the motors from the non-Xenon OEM light clusters onto the Xenon OEM light clusters, if they would fit, and do it that way...but as to whether they are compatible is anyones guess.
I'd put my house on the fact they'd not be!

I can try to get some pics of the back of my lights when I get back if you want...that is if there is room to see anything!

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #8 on: 08 September 2010, 19:07 »
As a side note, MOT test sadly is not the 100% gosbal of what is legal for uk road use.
VOSA use to have a list on their website back in the dark ages of standards i don't know if they still do.
« Last Edit: 08 September 2010, 19:12 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 08 September 2010, 20:49 »
Hmmm ... interesting all this.
I was under the distinct impression that the manual levellers for the Halogens could be teamed up with the OEM Xenons.

SteveP or Mortygt140 to the rescue? :smiley:
« Last Edit: 08 September 2010, 21:33 by am1w »
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP