Author Topic: Tuning advice golf mk3 1.4  (Read 2996 times)

Offline Gabber-Baby

• Not said much yet
Tuning advice golf mk3 1.4
« on: 21 August 2008, 13:39 »
Hi all,

Ive got a 1997 1.4 8v at the moment but I have big hopes for my car and intend to do an engine conversion and some other upgrades some time next year with a little help from our family friend mechanic. First question is how easy will it be to put a 2.0L GTI 16V into a 1.4 8V? Would the gearbox have to be changed for this also? I know I'll obviously have to get uprated disc brakes all round but I just want to know if there's any other bits and peices that will need changing too. I know it would be best just to stick to a 2.0L 8v as I hear this is literally just a straight swap.

Second question is suspension. My golf has been lowered 40mm and it's a really, really bumpy ride. Ive been in other cars that have been lowered and they dont feel half as bad as mine. So I thought I'd upgrade the suspension, Ive been looking at Koni but not really sure what the best make of suspension kit I should be looking at - obviously within a sensible budget range too. Without adjusting the height of the car, I still want it to feel soft and absorb every pothole in the road without it sounding like my wheel has just fallen off. Ive had the car checked and everything is all in tact because I thought maybe something had cracked or collapsed.

Can anyone offer any advice?
Thanks

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Tuning advice golf mk3 1.4
« Reply #1 on: 21 August 2008, 15:15 »
just buy a 2.0 16v instead, there isnt much point in going to all that effort when you're just making something you can buy.  you're also going to end up paying more for the insurance, and it'll cost you more sourcing bits in the long run to make it a proper GTI spec.
Start with a GTI then work on from there ;)
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline Dan34

• I live here
  • VTEC Powerzzzz
« Reply #2 on: 21 August 2008, 16:54 »
wooo another 1.4 driver!  :laugh:

Ive heard the hottuning collies are good so they might be an option for your suspension or just uprate your shocks if your running lowering springs on standard shocks.

Offline Rmachines

• I live here
  • Passat 20vT Estate and Candy White MK3 1.8 GL
« Reply #3 on: 21 August 2008, 19:19 »
Im right in the middle of putting a 16v MK3 into my 1.4.   I have converted everything else so basicly its a GTI now.  although im not going for the GTI look it does have all the added extras off the GTI,  i just swaped everything over.

I have done a few engine conversions in the past and this is not an easy one..  the engine its self is simple enough but it can be tricky at times and wiring is a pig.   If you feel brave i wouldnt shy away from a conversion but then i have changed golf engines before and know what order to do things in.   Just be prepared to be left with no car for a month or so  :wink:
10 golfs and counting! 

Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 22 August 2008, 01:02 »
the wireing isn't exactly hard work,    mines a 97 seat abf in an 88 golf syncro. the wireing was the easy bit
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline Gabber-Baby

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 22 August 2008, 09:13 »
Alot of my friends have told me to just sell it and get a faster model but I suppose this car is a kind of project of mine. Ive already spent alot on the sound system, the inside is completely bare because everything is getting covered in a red leather and ive just had some cobra bucket seats fitted which cost a fair bit, even though it's early days - it would still feel like a waste if I sold it now.

The mk3 engine bays are pretty spacious so I know I can get a big engine in there, my dad is another one who is telling me this whole thing is pointless but it's something Ive always wanted to do. I just need a basic list of things that will also need changing so I can literally have a list in front of me for when I got shopping for parts  :smiley:

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #6 on: 22 August 2008, 10:39 »
it depends how far you want to go, do you want it fitted exactly how it would be in a proper 16v mk3, or just the bare minimum to get it going?

Offline Gabber-Baby

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 22 August 2008, 11:29 »
I would like to do a proper job on it and just get it done all at once, my car used to be quite popular in the garage and was known as the "the infamous little red golf" cos it was always going wrong, but now it's sorted - I don't want to faff about for months with the engine.

I just wanna go all out really.

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #8 on: 22 August 2008, 11:46 »
ok <deep breath>

ABF lump (duh! :grin:)
inlet manifold, airbox, fuel rail + lines etc basically everything attached to the engine
complete engine wiring loom & ecu
radiator & fan setup, pretty much all coolant hoses
GTI 8v/16v or VR6 fuel pump
gearbox
starter motor
all mounting brackets attached to engine/gearbox, put new mounts in while engine out
cable shift gearstic unit + cables to engine bay
pedal box
master & slave clutch cylinders & hydro lines
brake master cylinder, servo(?)
driveshafts
wishbones, steering rack, hubs and brake setup
rear beam and disc setup
anti roll bar
complete exhaust system
dash clocks

Offline Gabber-Baby

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 22 August 2008, 12:10 »
Wow ok, thanks for that  :grin:

I found this on ebay, looks quite a good deal but would like a second opinion -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1996-VW-GOLF-GTi-MK3-2-0-8v-ENGINE-ADY-ANCILLARIES_W0QQitemZ270267376118QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item270267376118&_trkparms=72%3A12|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

This also might sound stupid, but to me that engine looks a bit pathetic for a 2.0l?