Author Topic: Transferring a map ( now fixed )  (Read 2914 times)

Offline mar_k

• I live here
Transferring a map ( now fixed )
« on: 21 October 2012, 21:42 »
Is it possible to transfere a MAP from one ECU to another?

Since my mate has blown his ECU we have now got a 2nd hand ECU.
I have found some one close to us with VAGCOm and VAG Tacho who will be Coding the new ECU,
When he is doing that would it be possible to pull the map and put it on the replacement?
« Last Edit: 03 November 2012, 15:01 by mar_k »

Offline rockmonkey69

• I live here
Re: Transferring a map
« Reply #1 on: 21 October 2012, 22:07 »
If it's blown as in not readable then the file cannot be recovered.
Assuming the file is readable, most tuners encrypt their file preventing it being read - or atleast sequentially as you would when your trying to save their file, there are software available which are able to read non-sequentially to get around this. While your intentions appear genuine I don't think it would be right to discuss this on a public forum. Tuners invest time and money into their software and have a right to encrypt their files. Having said that your mate's best bet would to get in touch with the company that mapped his car.

Offline Chris.

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 22 October 2012, 02:05 »
How has the ECU 'blown'?

You should be able to physically read the file off the ECU using a mapping tool (providing its not AGU ecu (me3.8)) however, from what I understand, the file then cant be read in mapping software....but thats easily got past (i dont have a jabbasport 1.8T map I cant read ;) )

Click For Build Thread

248bhp  278lbft R - Tech Powered 1.8T!!  - Gone but NOT forgotton

Offline mar_k

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 22 October 2012, 11:33 »
its still readable, the car still runs however the throttle the pedal doesn't work. the damage was caused by
the rear lamda wires being pulled out and shorting.
The lamdas and the throttle pedal earth back to the ECU and its this part thats fried.

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #4 on: 22 October 2012, 19:24 »
I have found some one close to us with VAGCOm and VAG Tacho who will be Coding the new ECU,
When he is doing that would it be possible to pull the map and put it on the replacement?

In short, no not with those tools, and if you don't know what you're doing you could quite easily end up with 2 dead ecus rather than just 1!

Offline mar_k

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 22 October 2012, 20:26 »
he will be using KWP2000 interface?
My knowledge isn't great enough to know how its done, But he has done it a few times.

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
« Reply #6 on: 24 October 2012, 09:06 »
What ecu do you have?

Offline mar_k

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 28 October 2012, 15:51 »
Well we have now been told that its not even possible to code the new ECU to the car as we dont have the pin no. for the doner ECU, The guy that came pulled the SKC from the original ECU along with all the files that were needed but was unable to transfere them to the new ECU without the pin, He said is wasnt possible to get the pin without the matching cluster being present?

This is becoming a real pain in the bum now.
Is there anyone on here thats able to sort this out for us?

As far as I know the car is immo3, We will be contacting the breakers we got the ECU from for either a replacement with the pin or a refund.

Some one on here must know how to do it, Don't even care about transferring the Map now, just want the replacement ECU coded in or the immobiliser defeated.

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #8 on: 28 October 2012, 16:37 »
It is possible to get the pin from the ecu with the right tools (provided it isn't damaged) and you don't need a matching cluster. You can pop it in the post to me and i'll read the pin off, just cover the postage.

Offline mar_k

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 28 October 2012, 17:07 »
It is possible to get the pin from the ecu with the right tools (provided it isn't damaged) and you don't need a matching cluster. You can pop it in the post to me and i'll read the pin off, just cover the postage.

That would be brilliant, would it not be possible to remove the immobilser from it at the same time?
If so how much?