Author Topic: 1.4 abd engine upgrades, any ideas?  (Read 2647 times)

Offline alsautos

• Just got here
1.4 abd engine upgrades, any ideas?
« on: 31 January 2012, 18:11 »
i know already that everybody is just going to say "engine swap" but i dont want to do that yet
i am looking for upgrades for my 1.4 abd 8v in my mk 3 golf.
does anyone know anywhere i can find parts e.g. high lift cam, uprated inlet manifold?
any other suggestions?
thanks, ash

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Re: 1.4 abd engine upgrades, any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2012, 23:59 »
Not worth the hassle or expense, any gains will be small.

Offline alsautos

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 01 February 2012, 17:32 »
as i stated in my first post, i know everyone will say its not worth it swap engine.
but thats not what i want to hear i just want to know what upgrades are available wether they are worth it or not in other peoples opinions.
people upgrade these engines in polos so there must be some ways of doing it. e.g. is there a cam from another engine that will make a difference or where can i find upgraded parts....

Offline trog_nfs

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 01 February 2012, 19:02 »
The gearbox will implode at standard power, let alone if you tried to put anything else through it.

ABD is cr@p. AEX is better.
It's a bit different in a polo though as it doesn't weigh half as much as the golf with the same engine

Boneybradley did a post a while back saying the easiest mod to get more power was to put a 1.6 in.

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #4 on: 01 February 2012, 20:48 »
as i stated in my first post, i know everyone will say its not worth it swap engine.
but thats not what i want to hear i just want to know what upgrades are available wether they are worth it or not in other peoples opinions.
people upgrade these engines in polos so there must be some ways of doing it. e.g. is there a cam from another engine that will make a difference or where can i find upgraded parts....

That was the point I was making, yes upgrades are available but it is not worth doing anything to the engine as any gains will be expensive, so if you do the maths it makes more sense to get a quicker car.

Offline alsautos

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 01 February 2012, 21:14 »
so you say upgrades are available, what im asking is what are the options? i dont want anyone to tell me whats cheaper or easier. just the upgrade options for the engine. and in my case its not different in a polo as my car probably weighs less.

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #6 on: 01 February 2012, 21:51 »
so you say upgrades are available, what im asking is what are the options? i dont want anyone to tell me whats cheaper or easier. just the upgrade options for the engine. and in my case its not different in a polo as my car probably weighs less.

Upgrade options:

Keep current lump & throw a lot of money at it for no real gain, then realise that it was a mistake and either sell the car or drop a different engine in.

OR

Engine swap in the first place and save yourself time & money!

Offline alsautos

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 02 February 2012, 22:00 »
why does noone seem to listen? no matter how many times i say i dont want to hear that its a waste of money and time people only say the same thing. so when you say throw a load of money at it what do you mean? i just want to know where to find the parts.....

Offline trog_nfs

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 03 February 2012, 14:43 »
why does noone seem to listen? no matter how many times i say i dont want to hear that its a waste of money and time people only say the same thing. so when you say throw a load of money at it what do you mean? i just want to know where to find the parts.....

The parts to "upgrade" (and I use the term very loosely) are expensive, and will gain almost no power and lose all drivability.
The 1.4 is the economy model in a golf. Lets face it if you can't get more power out of the 8v and 16v GTIs without spending mega-bucks do you really think you can with the 1.4 8v SPI?

Offline todd

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 03 February 2012, 21:29 »
How can your car weigh less than a polo ? It's impossible unless all you have is a chassis and a engine, what everyone is trying to do is make u see sence because that engine won't pull skin off rice pudding, any mods you do to it will probably get you back up to standard horse power especially as it's in a heavy car so will be under more strain, easiest mods would be a panel filter and airbox mod and a cat back system but like everyone has said it's a waste of money to modify said engine.
Sorry for poor punctuation but I can't be bothered lol