Author Topic: 1.4MPI - Running Issues  (Read 2165 times)

Offline Dmonday

• I live here
1.4MPI - Running Issues
« on: 05 July 2011, 07:46 »
I know i no longer own a golf but just wondering if anyone can give me a hand here, i'm starting on the new engine soon but still need this running pretty sweet while i'm building it, so i'm Just wondering if anyone can give me any ideas on what to look for.

My seat ibiza 1.4 8v (chill) is running stupidly sluggish compared to the normal slow piece of crap, put the foot down and it takes about 30 seconds to get to 20/30mph :D and won't go past 60.. on a good day, my exhaust is blowing a little and you can smell it burning rich, it was previously running on 2 cylinders due to knackered HT leads and plugs, so i've replaced the plugs, ht leads and coilpack. Cleaned the TB and re-aligned it, cleaned most contacts.. i'm thinking the TB could be knackerd but it opens fully with the ignition on..

Any help would be appreciated :)

Dan

Offline Jack3559

• I live here
Re: 1.4MPI - Running Issues
« Reply #1 on: 05 July 2011, 07:58 »
Sounds like it's in limp mode...

Don't know what the smell would be unless it's an injector fault or oil pick up pipe or something.

Offline Dmonday

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 05 July 2011, 08:08 »
Sounds like it's in limp mode...

Don't know what the smell would be unless it's an injector fault or oil pick up pipe or something.

That would make sense, maybe put in limp mode when it was running on 2 cylinders.. Can you clear limp mode with vag com? Going to have a play with vag com when i get home from work :)

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 05 July 2011, 10:05 »
Scan for fault codes would be the first thing to do, especially if you have vag com.
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline Dmonday

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 05 July 2011, 11:20 »
Scan for fault codes would be the first thing to do, especially if you have vag com.

Got a few about it running rich, but can't really remember was just saying about it misfiring on multiple cylinders before i sorted that.. will give it a run tonight :)

Offline gman86

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 05 July 2011, 11:42 »
Your exhaust is blocked. Most probably the cat has collapsed. The fact the exhaust is blowing would back that up as the back pressure has probably knocked out a weak part.

Get the cat checked and if it's goosed, find out the cause first. A faulty lambda sensor may be causing it to run rich, thus have caused the cat to melt, collapse and block the exhaust.

Offline Dmonday

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 05 July 2011, 12:42 »
Your exhaust is blocked. Most probably the cat has collapsed. The fact the exhaust is blowing would back that up as the back pressure has probably knocked out a weak part.

Get the cat checked and if it's goosed, find out the cause first. A faulty lambda sensor may be causing it to run rich, thus have caused the cat to melt, collapse and block the exhaust.

That makes sense to be honest, i did smash the cat in a bit from running it low (before i raised the engine) might whip the cat off tonight and have a look! Thanks for the reply :)

Offline Dmonday

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 08 July 2011, 17:28 »
Turned out to be the cat, thanks :)