Author Topic: 1.4 aex engine- piston slap- quoted 600 for new engine is it worth it???  (Read 2996 times)

Offline tsr_adi

• I live here
actually thinking about it, did they tell you WHY it needs 4 new pistons? whats the mileage on your car?
Knocking will most likely be the big end bearings, and they can be replaced with the engine in the car! Normally caused by poor/no servicing, i.e been ragged most of its life without regular oil changes, or the wrong viscosity oil being used, thus wearing out the big end bearing

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
what are the symptoms, is it just that the engine sounds like a diesel? if so our SEAT is the same, and after a bit of research on the SEAT forums apparently they all do this to some degree, something to do with the alloy block not damping the noise down as much as an iron block does. Our SEAT certainly doesn't need a new set of pistons it runs fine, just sounds like an oil burner
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline _redders_

• GTI forum regular
Yeah they all suffer with a bit of piston slap with age, it's a known issue, its not normally terminal, just noisy, some lumps do it more than others.

DROP IT LOW . . . ROLL IT SLOW

Offline polo6n222

• Here all the time
im not sure where in lndon u are mate but i got qoutes for fiting an engine in to a gti 8v and they wanted 150 labour and that was a mobile bloke so he comes to your house or work and dose it so it would juet be the cost of a engine