Poll

would a TSR cam be ground to run standard marks or equal lift at tdc?

standard timing marks
equal lift on overlap @ tdc

Author Topic: TSR cams  (Read 1487 times)

Offline 8vdub

• Just got here
TSR cams
« on: 04 July 2010, 10:33 »
does anyone know, would a tsr cam be ground to run on standard marks?

thanks

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
Re: TSR cams
« Reply #1 on: 04 July 2010, 12:26 »
most aftermarket cams have the centerline cut 4 degrees off the centerline of th stock cam,   it's a thingyish marketing trick so it'll run with std pully but to get the full potential you need a vernier
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #2 on: 04 July 2010, 14:27 »
Standard marks

Offline 8vdub

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 05 July 2010, 21:46 »
most aftermarket cams have the centerline cut 4 degrees off the centerline of th stock cam,   it's a thingyish marketing trick so it'll run with std pully but to get the full potential you need a vernier

so does that mean that on standard marks its already 4 degrees advance?
would explain my difference between equal overlap and standard marks.

i have a tsr 103 and pack c non-hyd head, has been skimmed before i think so on standard marks my dot is rougly at the top of the head but with the gasket on.

think il put my vernier back on and get it bang on standard marks and go from there.

wayne, is it you that used to work there?  does all this sound about right. i had no luck when i phoned tsr

thanks guys

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #4 on: 05 July 2010, 23:46 »

so does that mean that on standard marks its already 4 degrees advance?
would explain my difference between equal overlap and standard marks.

i have a tsr 103 and pack c non-hyd head, has been skimmed before i think so on standard marks my dot is rougly at the top of the head but with the gasket on.

think il put my vernier back on and get it bang on standard marks and go from there.

wayne, is it you that used to work there?  does all this sound about right. i had no luck when i phoned tsr

thanks guys

Yep

Sounds about right but been a while since I did one, from memory a 103 is a 285 profile, the dot should line up with the head, your better to run a vernier and set it on a rolling road that will make sure it is bang on.

Is yours k jet if so you may struggle with fueling at the top end with a wild cam like this.

Offline 8vdub

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 06 July 2010, 01:38 »
103 is apparently 282*, i can get it bang on the head with the vernier, i dont have the cash for a rr session atm, was qouted 250 for setup and remap.

im running digi on this, jus want to get it ok to drive, dont want to sqeeze every last bit out of it. but i understand itll get the best from it, but close will be good enough.

thanks again

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #6 on: 06 July 2010, 10:00 »
103 is apparently 282*, i can get it bang on the head with the vernier, i dont have the cash for a rr session atm, was qouted 250 for setup and remap.

im running digi on this, jus want to get it ok to drive, dont want to sqeeze every last bit out of it. but i understand itll get the best from it, but close will be good enough.

thanks again

Will be ok as a short term measure but it will be running lean so a remap as and when would be a wise move.