Author Topic: Avon calling!  (Read 31847 times)

Offline king monkey

• I live here
Re: Avon calling!
« Reply #10 on: 29 January 2023, 10:01 »
Ahh! Thanks Michele, I had no idea you could do that. I obviously don’t fiddle with things anywhere near enough  :grin:
Does it have to be done every ignition cycle or is it a one off thing?
I’m just setting up ready for its weekly bath so I’ll get right on that :afro:

No. Mine started playing up this week. Turned the car2X off and not had it come on for 4 days now.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #11 on: 29 January 2023, 11:02 »
This is why I couldn't own a mk8 sadly.  :sad: . If I did it would endup with a fist sized hole in the display.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: 29 January 2023, 11:04 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 29 January 2023, 11:49 »
This is why I couldn't own a mk8 sadly.  :sad: . If I did it would endup with a fist sized hole in the display.  :laugh:

Me neither :sad:.

Strangely, the facelift version of the current Polo (launched end 2021) which has very similar tech to the mk8 Golf doesn’t seem to have (or have had) the numerous software problems that many mk8 Golfs have had - just the very occasional software glitch reported by owners over on uk-polos.net forum. 
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 29 January 2023, 11:59 »
I’m coming to the same conclusion as snoopy.

Turns out I’d already switched off the Terminator Skynet software in a previous trouble shooting mission.

Looks like I’ll be on the phone to VW very very soon.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 29 January 2023, 13:15 »
I think the mk8 GTI looks the part, but not sure I could live with one. I had 2 Discoveries (a 3 and a 4) and the constant software issues and bings / bongs drove me to distraction. Even now my heart stops when my GTI bings to tell me the temperature is less than 4 degrees😄
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #15 on: 29 January 2023, 14:15 »
Same for me. The looks of the 8 have really grown on me especially the clubsport. A left knee that now seems to not like the cold or the Leons heavy clutch has also made me reevaluate currently having a garage of only manual cars at my disposal . The mk8s bongs and fear of what happens after its out of warranty I feel are a scary prospect.
« Last Edit: 29 January 2023, 14:26 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline GtiJames

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 29 January 2023, 18:47 »
They will sell you a service plan for £30 odd a month that will maintain your warranty.

It’s almost too convenient.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 29 January 2023, 19:04 »
They will sell you a service plan for £30 odd a month that will maintain your warranty.

£360 a year isn’t too bad, but it’s the payment (or lack of) process and the insurers wriggle room that’s the issue.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 29 January 2023, 19:47 »

The 2 year warranty part of VW’s All-In product doesn’t maintain the original factory warranty - it’s less comprehensive in its scope and more like the usual insurance-based aftermarket warranty.

The All-In warranty covers the sudden failure of factory fitted electrical and mechanical components, but as with all aftermarket extended warranty products, there are a number of exclusions, so it’s always worth checking it provides the cover you want / need.

All-In Warranty Policy Terms at the link below;

https://customer.vwfs.co.uk/content/dam/bluelabel/valid/www-vwfs-co-uk/documents/all-in/volkswagen-allin-warranty-terms-and-conditions.pdf

IMHO the All-In product still offers good value for money, considering that in addition to the warranty you get two years servicing, two years roadside assistance and two MOT tests for the £30 or so per month cost. 
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 31 January 2023, 16:55 »
So, the “Avon” virus is now fully in effect on my car too. Could this be down to an over the air update? It’s strange we are all getting it around the same time. BONG! BONG! BONG!