Author Topic: HELP NEEDED - URGENT/ASAP  (Read 1862 times)

Offline g0ldf1sh

• GTI forum regular
HELP NEEDED - URGENT/ASAP
« on: 15 September 2004, 10:57 »
Hi All,

As you have probably read in the G60 Arches have arrived thread - i'm having some problems with my arches and the Body shop.?

The rears are proving to be the biggest problem as the G60 arches are not that much bigger than the standard ones.? I have 9 X 16" Brock B2 wheels on the car with an ET15 offset.? This is a huge problem as the wheels stick out so far the Metal arch actually cuts into the sidewall of the tyre.?

My problem is the Body shop are asking what I want to do with the arches as they can cut away the metal from the arch but there's very little to put the arch back on to.?

I know a person called Valver (Jade Green, with Borbet A wheels ET15) has done his arches and has had very little problems.? I'm sure he's just angle grinded his off.? The put G60's.? I'm really confused as I don't know what to do for the best.

My car has coilovers on it, it sits fairly low, I think I might need to get damping adjustables so to stiffen the rear end up lots, that way the wheel won't come up so far!!

Any advice or help from anyone would be really appreciated as i'm without a car till i decide what to do next!!!!

Cheers All! :)
Nehmen Sie Keinen Ersatz an

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
Re: HELP NEEDED - URGENT/ASAP
« Reply #1 on: 15 September 2004, 11:13 »
im surprised they're asking you this at all, they need to cut and roll the arches back and out of the way. as long as there's enough left to rivet/bolt/screw the plastic arch trim back on i don't see the problem  ???

Offline g0ldf1sh

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 15 September 2004, 11:28 »
Yeah I feel the same, but they said because the wheels come out so far
even if they do cut/roll back the arches and bond the G60's on the plastic arch might still catch!!!

Blue MK2

« Reply #3 on: 15 September 2004, 19:33 »
Valver got the arches cut and then sealed by a company i think?

Try....http://www.styledynamix.co.uk/ click on 'suspension'

Offline g0ldf1sh

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 16 September 2004, 10:47 »
Thanks Blue.  Appreciate it.

The situation is not so bad now after my visit to the body shop yesterday.  What they've done is to flare the arches 3/4 of and inch outward, bend the inner arch (someone already angle ground these and made a messy job of it too) to meet the outer, weld them up and fit the G60's.  It's gonna look soo much nicer when its done, kinda unique to my car instead of cutting they'll be flared.  making it look wider again! 

I'm dying to see the car now, miss it loads.  I've asked how much for a respray in OE colour and to fit audi door handles etc.  About 2K just over i think they said.  Probably be ?2.5k.  I want the slats taken out of the bonnet, the gromits around the car (ariel) taken out and smothed and a few other trick bits sorted out. 

Then the G60 lump, recaro's and new wheels! :P

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
« Reply #5 on: 16 September 2004, 11:41 »
g0ldf1sh, that seems a lot for a re-spray. Don't know where you are located but Blue had his done for a lot less than that and he said they did a right job. Have a look at Blue's thread -

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=11520.0
......now officially dubless.

Offline g0ldf1sh

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 20 September 2004, 08:35 »
Thanks for the help all! :)

Check my new G60 flared arches thread!  ;D