Author Topic: auto lights  (Read 1015 times)

Offline joey

• Not said much yet
auto lights
« on: 08 November 2023, 20:41 »
so...is it possible to drive with only the side lights on? as the Auto function always selects main beam or off when driving. i was hoping that sometimes, you don't need main beam always on?

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: auto lights
« Reply #1 on: 08 November 2023, 20:57 »
Main beam IQ lights will instantly vaporise the retinas of anyone within half a mile, I think you mean dipped beam.
Switch on ignition, press the “mode” button/pad/thingy in the middle of the headlight control pad thingy and you can cycle through Auto, Dipped, Side Lights 👍🏻

Auto is selected as default, there may be ways of changing that but I’ve never once touched it in nearly three years (I’m old and boring).

:smiley:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 08 November 2023, 21:15 »
If the mk8 Golf headlamp functionality is the same as that in my Polo GTI+, if the headlight control (still a conventional rotary knob in my car rather than a touchpad) isn’t set to ‘Auto’ or dipped beam, then a warning message is permanently displayed on the instrument panel telling you to switch the headlights on. I’d rather have my lights on than some distracting message slap bang in the middle of the instrument display.

Like you @Exonian. I always keep mine set to ‘Auto’. Sometimes it’s necessary to switch them to manual as they don’t always turn themselves in certain daylight conditions when headlights are needed (e.g. when it’s foggy during the day).
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 08 November 2023, 21:16 »
With auto lights they only come on when it's errm dark.

You can set the level of dark that triggers it.

Personally I'm all about the early trigger... If its dark I want the idiots to see me.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 08 November 2023, 22:04 »
Sometimes it’s necessary to switch them to manual as they don’t always turn themselves in certain daylight conditions when headlights are needed (e.g. when it’s foggy during the day).

Ahh, yes, fog.
That’s how I knew how the cycle worked - trial and error in fog. I don’t go into BMW 3 series mode (flat out with only DRL’s in fog)

I meant I’ve never thought about changing the defaults.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner