Author Topic: new car  (Read 1735 times)

Offline mcgee9t2

• I live here
new car
« on: 22 November 2012, 19:03 »
Ok so its new car time. want something fun and fast.

budget. i have 3k to spend on a car. but im young live with mam and dad ect. So dont have any outgoings so i think its the right time to get debted up to my eye balls rather than when im older have kids and a morgage.

Things ive been looking at

mk6 r
mk6gti
mk4 1.8t (would only want a low milage one though)
mk2 (would want to 1.8t it and insurance is rediculous)
Mx5
Audi tt
Old beemers.

so what suggestions you got

bearing in mind im 20 so cant afford to insure stuff too high group.

and i drive 50 miles per day to work so cant afford anything too thirsty (been looking into porche boxrs but the 3.2 letre engine would be a bit to thirsty)

Offline Steve30

• I live here
  • Ed30 .
Re: new car
« Reply #1 on: 22 November 2012, 19:09 »
If your doing that sort mileage try the GTD or a TDI but your budget is to low certainly for a mk6, Ive just purchased a Skoda Fabia and it drives lovely your 3k should get a decent one. :wink:

Tiguan quicker than the Golf

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #2 on: 22 November 2012, 19:10 »
3k for mk6s  :huh:

Offline mcgee9t2

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 22 November 2012, 19:15 »
No i dont mind getting finance / loan on something like a mk6 cause the only real bills i have is phone bill. and rent i give mam and dad but if i got in trouble and for some reason couldnt afford to pay rent theyd just take it from me when i can afford.

So basically. my budget is 3k but happy to go higher for the right car.

and dont really fancy a ddiesel steve.  never really like any ive drove.
« Last Edit: 22 November 2012, 19:17 by mcgee9t2 »

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 22 November 2012, 19:27 »
BMW 123d m sport and a trip to see Doc! :evil:
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline Ant1981

• I live here
  • Feed me, prod me
« Reply #5 on: 22 November 2012, 21:50 »

Well a while ago you could get a MK5 for 5k, so maybe it's within reach now........ :laugh:
80% of your posts are total tripe, as they are mostly replies to sh1te posts created by the morons that, unfortunately this forum attracts.

'02 VW Golf 1.8 GTi Turbo - 186,000 miles
'09 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R
1990 VW Golf GTi 16V - Gone but not forgotten
Currently considering next car

Offline raferackstraw

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 22 November 2012, 21:54 »
dont go getting yourself in hock over a car, its just not worth it, if i had my time again i would look towards owning property/land as thru that you can get what car you want

wayne gardner smokes one rothmans too many
500cc 2stroke bad for ya health

Offline Ant1981

• I live here
  • Feed me, prod me
« Reply #7 on: 22 November 2012, 21:56 »
dont go getting yourself in hock over a car, its just not worth it, if i had my time again i would look towards owning property/land as thru that you can get what car you want

Oh I dunno, since owning property, I can only afford this bloody Mk4.
80% of your posts are total tripe, as they are mostly replies to sh1te posts created by the morons that, unfortunately this forum attracts.

'02 VW Golf 1.8 GTi Turbo - 186,000 miles
'09 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R
1990 VW Golf GTi 16V - Gone but not forgotten
Currently considering next car

Offline Steve30

• I live here
  • Ed30 .
« Reply #8 on: 23 November 2012, 07:41 »

Not for a GTD Chuff or GTI show me where you can a get a Mk6 for 3k? :wink:

if your doing 50 miles a day or 2k a month your looking at £300 a month in petrol bills mortage money :shocked:
« Last Edit: 23 November 2012, 07:44 by Steve30 »

Tiguan quicker than the Golf

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #9 on: 23 November 2012, 08:22 »
Ok so its new car time. want something fun and fast.

budget. i have 3k to spend on a car. but im young live with mam and dad ect. So dont have any outgoings so i think its the right time to get debted up to my eye balls rather than when im older have kids and a morgage.

Things ive been looking at

mk6 r
mk6gti
mk4 1.8t (would only want a low milage one though)
mk2 (would want to 1.8t it and insurance is rediculous)
Mx5
Audi tt
Old beemers.

so what suggestions you got

bearing in mind im 20 so cant afford to insure stuff too high group.

and i drive 50 miles per day to work so cant afford anything too thirsty (been looking into porche boxrs but the 3.2 letre engine would be a bit to thirsty)

Right then, lets look at this from a sensible viewpoint.

How much disposable income do you have each month? Although you say that your only outgoings are phone bill & rent you will be spending other money each month as well....nights out? cinema? clothes? petrol? insurance? road tax? mods?

What is your credit rating like? Do you really think you'll be approved for a £30k loan for a MK6 R? My guess is that if you only have a phone bill to your name you won't have built up a good enough rating yet.

More to the point can you really afford the monthy payments? Look at the bigger picture, think of a couple of years down the line...do you still want to be living at home then?

How much can you afford for insurance? I think that will probably rule out most of the options you have already suggested tbh.

Next is fuel, if a 3.2 Boxter is too thirsty then a 1.8t will also be too thirsty. Mine is circa 200bhp and returns almost identical consumption to my mates 3.2 TT, my long term average over the last 9000 miles is 30mpg:

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/dom069/gti

My suggestion would be a MK4 PD130/PD150 and don't get yourself into debt, yes it's not the most exciting car in the world but with a couple of choice mods you'll have a decent amount of power/torque and you'll get 50mpg however you drive.

Have your mid-life crisis in 25 years when you can afford to :grin: