Author Topic: Wanted to get a cheap graphics card for my old legacy comp! Opinions?  (Read 755 times)

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
My old P4 has been playing up the GPU is an Asus 8600GT 512mb DDR2 PCI-e 2.0
Its still quick @ 3.8ghz with 2GB ram.
The options I've been looking at are these but my PSU is only 450w so limited as to what can go into a Shuttle!

Three cards and wanted to know if I would run into power issues?

ASUS Radeon EAH4350 (1GB) DDR2
XFX Radeon HD 5550 (1GB) DDR2
ASUS AMD ATI RADEON HD6670 2GB DDR3 I think? Should be okay to run DDR3 even though my comp runs DDR2 right?

Any other suggestions or useful mojo to help?
Cheers
Jay

Offline Ridg

• I live here
  • TDI - Soot Happens!
A 450W will handle most things, you might want to check you've got the right connectors for the cards though.

The DDR3 and DDR2 is referring to the memory on the graphics cards so nothing to do with the memory the PC is running.

VW BUSH

An ATI 5750 can be had for pennies.  :wink:

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
Thats the problem been on egay and those ones I listed didnt go for peanuts at all the lowest card went for £30.00 one even went for £20.00 less than retail price  :lipsrsealed: :rolleyes:
I just wanted a simple HD backup card silent and low profile which is the issues here I need a low profile one and my PSU is only 350watts also.
I never buy GPU's off Egay as they could be pretty well fecked hence was going for a cheap punt.

VW BUSH

Thats the problem been on egay and those ones I listed didnt go for peanuts at all the lowest card went for £30.00 one even went for £20.00 less than retail price  :lipsrsealed: :rolleyes:
I just wanted a simple HD backup card silent and low profile which is the issues here I need a low profile one and my PSU is only 350watts also.
I never buy GPU's off Egay as they could be pretty well fecked hence was going for a cheap punt.

Fair doo's £30 does put you out of that market, reckon you could get this for £45 though :grin:
http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/xfx-ati-hd-radeon-5770-1gb-ddr5/113361629