Author Topic: do rusty sills pass mot?  (Read 5640 times)

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
Re: do rusty sills pass mot?
« Reply #10 on: 05 November 2012, 17:55 »
Any excessive corrosion within 30cm of a prescribed area (suspension or seatbelt mountings) should fail.

97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Offline Leroy

• Here all the time
  • Golf GTI Anniversary 16v
« Reply #11 on: 06 November 2012, 08:58 »
Any excessive corrosion within 30cm of a prescribed area (suspension or seatbelt mountings) should fail.

Had to patch up my sills as it was corroded within 30cm of the B-pillar as well as it weakens the chassis, so they say.

Offline Callum_K

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 06 November 2012, 09:26 »
I'm thinking I might have to do something about mine soon. They're fine at the back but the front jacking points were an advisory on it's last MOT. Might just scrape off the surface rust, quick splash of rust treatment then underseal for the time being to prevent it getting worse. I also have some rust on the sill where the door rubber goes. Someone has tried to bodge it up before and done a sh!t job lol! Might just try and clean it and redo.

Offline leigh_harty

• I live here
  • Audi AGU
« Reply #13 on: 06 November 2012, 10:01 »
I'm thinking I might have to do something about mine soon. They're fine at the back but the front jacking points were an advisory on it's last MOT. Might just scrape off the surface rust, quick splash of rust treatment then underseal for the time being to prevent it getting worse. I also have some rust on the sill where the door rubber goes. Someone has tried to bodge it up before and done a sh!t job lol! Might just try and clean it and redo.

It's all well and said taking the easy way out, but what about when the day comes your stuck outside and you need to jack your car up and your cills arnt strong enough?

If the car is a keeper get new cills welded in.
Dont lose your dinosaur!

Offline Callum_K

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 06 November 2012, 10:18 »
I may not have had it too long but I already know never to jack a Mk3 on the sills lol! I will get it done eventually, just haven't the funds at the moment nor the skills/equipment to do it myself. Thinking of doing a welding course at the local college.

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #15 on: 06 November 2012, 12:22 »
I had advisories on both sills on my Mk3 for 3 years running before I got mine done.

This was where all 4 jacking points had been squashed up and in one case pushed in!
I would scrape off the surface rust and paint with underseal and you will be fine.

thanks ill try that!

bad luck the rest of ya it's an 8v!!! go scrap yerselves  :laugh:

I did say SURFACE rust - if its any worse than that then you may need patches welded in on complete new sills.
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Len

• 10k hero
« Reply #16 on: 06 November 2012, 12:23 »

It's all well and said taking the easy way out, but what about when the day comes your stuck outside and you need to jack your car up and your cills arnt strong enough?

There are a few other places to jack up a car from!

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

VW BUSH

« Reply #17 on: 06 November 2012, 13:10 »
It will pass if any holes are hidden by the sill covers and said sill covers are secure enough that said MOT man cant have a look, if any holes are visible then you are screwed.

If its got rusty sill, bent jacking points then you need new sills, patches will rot through in no time at all and you will need another jack to get under the car.
Unless you are Jamo or Tshirt then rotten sills means your car will never be a keeper due to the cost involved to put it right.
When you go see a Mk3 always feel the jacking points first, if they are bent and rusty walk away.
You will walk away from 95% of Mk3's  :grin:

Offline Len

• 10k hero
« Reply #18 on: 06 November 2012, 13:58 »
What cost?
My new sills cost me £37 plus £150 labour.

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline leigh_harty

• I live here
  • Audi AGU
« Reply #19 on: 06 November 2012, 14:11 »

There are a few other places to jack up a car from!

True, but my point is if it's a keeper treat it like a keeper  :smiley:
Dont lose your dinosaur!