Author Topic: Exhaust for 1.8 20v non turbo??  (Read 1941 times)

Offline Dommy GTi

• Not said much yet
  • Dub fiend
Re: Exhaust for 1.8 20v non turbo??
« Reply #10 on: 25 November 2012, 11:46 »
as my car now with just the cat knocked out gives standard turbos a run for their money haha

thats the most stupid thing iv read on here in a month

You'd be surprised how its improved responsively

Offline Dommy GTi

• Not said much yet
  • Dub fiend
« Reply #11 on: 25 November 2012, 11:52 »
the 1.8 20v  is the most souless boreing underwhelming hatefull unrewarding engine ever fitted to a golf. most boreingly flat engine i've ever had the displeasure of driveing

possobly to the point that if i had to have ether the 2.0 8 valve or the 1.8 20v    good chance it'd be the 8 valve as there is some form of powerband there to play with.

as for makeing noise drill a hole in the downpipe or a crappy universal back box ?   unfortunatly its one of those engines that responds in a negative way to most things.  had one briefly  was convinced the backbox was clogged up  an makeing it gutless / flat up top so took it off and it went slower  :sad:  put box back on and sold it a week later. drove meany of them since  all the same  :sad:

Well it's obv something went wrong as the 2.0 8v has no chance and you know it. So good luck with that decision. If these are replies I expect from a forum that's meant to help or give good advice on, then I obv read wrong.

And the sarcy comments doesn't do anyone any good.

but thanks for the previous comment about the down pipe as I will look into that.
And I will try get a rolling road vid of mine and my mates 1.8t as I'm quite bored of members that think they know every golf in the world and how they run. Good or bad.

Cheers

Offline tweed

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 25 November 2012, 12:11 »
Don't look into that down pipe hole!

Very hard to get one! It's best to get custom.

But can't help but say save your money for a turbo car

Untitled by tweedub, on Flickr

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #13 on: 25 November 2012, 14:15 »

Firstly I wouldn't brag about racing on public roads, it's not something to be proud of.

Secondly 25bhp might not sound much but it's a 20% power increase, combine that with an extra 30lb/ft the 1.8t will p!ss all over a 1.8 n/a.

As willsgolf suggested, I would wait until you've done the conversion before sorting the exhaust. Personally I'd be looking at getting one of the eBay 3" turbo back exhausts that many members on here use (including myself). In terms of value & performance for money they are unbeatable.

So a motorway little 30-80/90 rolling start is public roads? I forgot you was there..there is honestly not much difference unless its a launched start, but if figures is all the members here care about then boy.

Yes, I think you'll find that a motorway is a public road :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: 25 November 2012, 14:17 by dom069 »

Offline Dommy GTi

• Not said much yet
  • Dub fiend
« Reply #14 on: 25 November 2012, 17:08 »
Don't look into that down pipe hole!

Very hard to get one! It's best to get custom.

But can't help but say save your money for a turbo car

I've said this plenty of times to other people but they still recon the turbo down pipe can fit on a nonturbo?! *confused*

Is there no part on the turbo that will fit on the n/a at all? Correct me if I'm wrong haha

Cheers

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #15 on: 25 November 2012, 21:27 »
Downpipe is different on turbo and non turbo but the rest of the system is the same.

(Will / may need sleeving to fit however due to the bore being different sizes)