Author Topic: Interior Wetness ....what to check  (Read 38298 times)

Offline percymon

• Here all the time
Re: Help - WET Carpet
« Reply #40 on: 18 May 2007, 14:10 »
If it get chance i''ll take more pictures when i put it all back together, and write it up as a pdf file.

Offline monkeyalan

• I live here
« Reply #41 on: 18 May 2007, 15:06 »
you're a better man than me.
I think my dark side would make me wait till it's hot and sunny and sell it.  :embarassed:

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
« Reply #42 on: 18 May 2007, 15:58 »
If percymon does a pdf with pics etc or even a tidier thread then I'll make it a sticky no probs. :smiley: Let me know if/when it's done in case I miss it as I don't come in the mk3 section very often.  :embarassed:
......now officially dubless.

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #43 on: 18 May 2007, 16:12 »
Yea will do gibby!
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline martin_gti

• Just got here
  • ohh very nice!!
« Reply #44 on: 18 May 2007, 19:09 »
sounds like ive got exactly the same problem.
my 98 mk3 3dr has a puddle of water on the drivers side footwell and rear drivers side footwell.
omg u dont understamd how annoyin this is!
ive had the car 3 weeks and but as soon as all this rain came my carpet got soaked.
when i rest my feet when im driving the water goes thro my shoes on my feet get wet!
so far ive dried up most the water and just put newspaper under the sound deadening for a temp solution.
im going out later and rite now im looking outside and guess what, its started to rain! great!
i saw them drain holes or whatever they were under the rear carpet and lots of water in dere so i should try seal that when i can.
ill write tomorrow to say what happens after this rain.
please throw me any help or suggestions any1 may have.
thanks in advance, martin.

Offline HoopDub

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #45 on: 18 May 2007, 20:44 »
well turns out my silicone fix didnt work, took out the headlining and poured water over the top just to confirm it is coming in top corner passenger side of the screen. its happening due to stonechips where the screen meets the roof, its rusted under the paint work and poped the seal on the screen, getting the roof fixed and resprayed wednesday and a new screen fitted. cant wait for a non damp smelling, dry car!!!

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
« Reply #46 on: 21 May 2007, 07:59 »
so far ive dried up most the water and just put newspaper under the sound deadening for a temp solution.

My advice would be to leave the paper there but take out the sound deading and dry that too, because sat under the carpet it will never ever dry. When you take it out and squeeze it you'll be surprised at how much water they retain.
......now officially dubless.

Offline percymon

• Here all the time
« Reply #47 on: 25 May 2007, 11:29 »
Well i've been quiet for a week, but only cos its been mainly sunny weather !

Had rain showers overnight twice this week and both occasions i was greeted by water ingress again - at least i can be certain now it does leak when stationary as well as when in motion. 

I'm keeping a large microfibre cloth stuffed between the fusebox and the outer metalwork of the passenger cell to absorb the leak - this morning probably wrung 150ml of water from the cloth :(

I washed the car last night too - i'm certain it isn't the windscreen in any way now, as pouring water into the sctuttle area at the poitn where the drivers side wiper arm attachs leads to water drip every few seconds to the right of the fuse box inside the cabin.  Given that i've pretty much undersealed any weaknesses in the scuttle area i think i'm going to have to further investgate the drivers side wing attachment area - I'm probably going to remove the front wing next week for a better look, undersealing the outer face of the joint with underseal hasn't reduced the ingress at all. (i'll have a bit more space in the garage by then).

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #48 on: 31 May 2007, 11:33 »
Bump! Keep us up to date on your progress mate!
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline percymon

• Here all the time
« Reply #49 on: 06 June 2007, 09:41 »
I will do Len - no change since i last posted, just not had time to look any further, and the sun is shining  :wink:

The good thing is that when i use the windscreen washers i do get a nice fresh lemony smell in the cabin - saving me a fortune in air fresheners lol!!