Author Topic: just bought Mk2 GTI 8v - ongoing project with pics  (Read 5566 times)

Offline jeremybarker

• Here all the time
just bought Mk2 GTI 8v - ongoing project with pics
« on: 18 August 2010, 22:38 »

Iv'e posted this in the new members section too but thought i'd add it here as it'll be an ongoing project of fun, scuffed knuckles and generally swearing at the car as i take it all apart. I've had the car for a little over a week now so starting with some of the easy bits first.

Thought i'd post some pictures of my latest toy, always wanted a big bumper GTI but never got round to owning one. Not had a chance to clean it yet so this was how i picked it up taken at Goodwood last week. Whislt i'm still forking out the national debt in nursery fees i needed a cheap bit of fun that i can tick off my "cars to own" list, typically for us i briefly mentioned it to the wife on friday night and by saturday evening i had a 91 J plate Golf GTI sitting on the drive that we paid the tidy sum of £800 for, although it's definately a keeper and i'll restore it in it's original spec/condition. For a 20 year old car it's pretty cool, few usual bits of corrosion in the usual places but i'm looking forward to tinkering in the best way i know and love.  I'll look to keep this post as a rolling diary of the stuff done. Couldn't believe how tight it drives for not only a 20 year old car but one that's done 143k. So far i've already had the air box and afm out, spent 10 hours sanding the afm so it's now nice and shiney and ready to go back in, i've begun cleaning the left side of the engine bay and i'll repaint it as there's a little rust that needs brightening up, so far i've stripped sanded and treated the left hand side which is now ready for paint. The plastic cowlings are all out and soaking in autoglym so the plastics are coming back nicely and the washer bottle that was black with crud inside has also had a couple of hours cleaning and back like new, i'm really enjoying this little project. The long term plans will be to to source a rebuilt 8v engine with some subtle power increasesas as i don'twant to change the originality and in a couple of years i'll strip the car down and have it re-painted in Alpine white, good times ahead.

If anyone knows a MK2 guru in the Chichester area in would be great as i'm sure i'll need some advice along the way as i take it all apart.

Hope you like the pictures and i'll keep you all updated as i go along.

Making up for lost time

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
Re: just bought Mk2 GTI 8v - ongoing project with pics
« Reply #1 on: 18 August 2010, 22:49 »
£800?! Bargain!! Looks like you've got yourself a very tidy motor there!  :smiley:

Looking forward to seeing you clean it up (although it doesn't look like it needs much!)

More importantly though, enjoy it  :wink:

Offline Mr Blue

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 18 August 2010, 22:52 »
That is very tidy!

Possibly vauxhall bbs's?

Early Gti badge too. Needs the late one.

:smiley:
:)

Offline jeremybarker

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 18 August 2010, 22:57 »
I thought the BBS wheels were the original ftiment for the 8v GTI?

Which badge is wrong as they need replacing anyway so better to get the right one :)

Making up for lost time

Offline Alec

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 18 August 2010, 22:58 »
That is very tidy!

Possibly vauxhall bbs's?

Early Gti badge too. Needs the late one.

:smiley:

I was just wondering what was different with the wheels  :laugh:

Sure I have seen the same on Cav's and Nova's

EDIT - Nice golf by the way :smiley:

Offline jeremybarker

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 18 August 2010, 23:08 »
Think your right weren't they used on Nova/Astra Diamonds - now i sound like an complete anorak, must get out more, no wait i'll just clean the Golf :)

Making up for lost time

Offline Phil1980

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 18 August 2010, 23:12 »
Nice motor, chop the wheels in for the original BBS ones and that will look spot on. :smiley:
MK5 2005 GTI, BLACK, 3 DR, 18" MONZA II, XENONS

Offline cняis

• I live here
  • Know there's something burning over there...
« Reply #7 on: 18 August 2010, 23:13 »
My brothers Nova Luxe had wheels just like that...

oh and FAP FAPPETY FAP-FAP-FAP! thats one tidy, original looking car :afro:

I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline jeremybarker

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 18 August 2010, 23:25 »
Oh yes and she's going to stay original too, definately need to look into the wheels though, sussed the front badge is from a mk1 GTI so i can sort that but you got me on the wheels, time for a google search, all the ones i keep seeing seem to have the same wheels though :)

Making up for lost time

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #9 on: 18 August 2010, 23:27 »
Very nice.