Author Topic: Seriously rotten mk2 gti!!  (Read 56134 times)

Offline vw_golf_nutter

• Here all the time
Re: Seriously rotten mk2 gti!!
« Reply #110 on: 10 August 2015, 20:55 »
got one of the arches smoothed with some paint on. was harder that it looked actually trying to cover the welding seams. its not perfect but its going to be under the kit anyway so it will do for now

The fuel pump is on its way so hopefully wont be long until the cars back on the road. Still on the look out for a new engine...

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #111 on: 11 August 2015, 23:24 »
Almost speechless!

I know from experience that a BBS kit fits in a way that covers a lot, but not enough to not be able to feel for rot that bad.  Did you check the car over before buying?

Despite what may seem like a belated negative comment, I have to say it's so good to see you gave it what it deserved because clearly somebody didn't love it to let it get like that.  must have been parked in poor conditions for years, grass??

Keep on it, it will reward you for saving it's life.

Offline Dean0991

• Not said much yet
« Reply #112 on: 15 August 2015, 08:58 »
What was your fuel pump problem? I had the same. The housing was leaking so I found a used 1 fitted it and that 1 leaking. Ebayer a total tool wouldn't refund it. Anyway I had fitted a direct fuel pump now and it's good as gold. Cost me £300 but worth. I've also decided to keep my golf I can't part with it. So having 3 cars and no point in having 3 my van had to go. The golf now stored in my new unit. She's undergone a wet sand and she shines like a show car 😊

Offline vw_golf_nutter

• Here all the time
« Reply #113 on: 17 August 2015, 14:13 »
it was off road for 6 years and I think it must of been on grass seen as the underneath was orange!

I bought it blind on ebay as the guy selling said it had been for a pre MOT and only need a few little bits, 'a patch on the passenger side sill' LOOOOOOOL

anyway shes a labour of love so i dont mind

the fuel pump has gone underneath... the housing is all split and broken too and wont go back on now.. got to try and find another fuel pump/housing/accumilator complete but its proving very difficult... shes still off road  :angry:

Offline Dean0991

• Not said much yet
« Reply #114 on: 21 August 2015, 20:31 »
I had the same trouble brought a 2nd hand 1 any that was knackered.
I've had a direct fuel pump fitted so need for a housing anymore. Cost me £300 but worth the money in the long run

Offline vw_golf_nutter

• Here all the time
« Reply #115 on: 24 August 2015, 10:31 »
im looking in to this now, could you give me an idea of what pump you have used and how its set up without all the housing.. do you need the filter/accumilator? thanks

Offline gazareth

• I live here
« Reply #116 on: 05 September 2015, 17:44 »
yes ideally you want an accumulator/reservoir with the main pump. if it wasn't needed vw would not have fitted it. you should look in to getting 1 custom made as oe ones seem to be extinct.

Offline vw_golf_nutter

• Here all the time
« Reply #117 on: 07 September 2015, 18:30 »
So i found a 2nd hand genuine pump and housing, all fitted, car wouldnt start..
after A LOT of investigation we came to the conclusion compression has gone and probably the head gasket and piston rings so out came the engine never to start again  :cry: :cry:

Its now sat in the garage without an engine waiting to go in to the mechanics to have a 9A fitted!

Offline hardmonkeys

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #118 on: 08 September 2015, 20:28 »
You've really not had much luck with this have you? Admire your perseverance though
'05 VW Golf Mk V GT TDI Laser Blue
'98 VW Golf Mk IV GTi Black
'97 VW Golf Mk III GTi
'58 VW Golf Mk V GT Sport TDI Steel Grey
'10 Audi A4 B8 SE Multitronic

'00 VW Golf Mk III.V Cabrio

MK3.5 Cabrio 2.0 8v Automatic to 2.0 16v Manual Conversion Project

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=272728.

www.dorsetautorestore.co.uk

Offline Nathan...

• Not said much yet
« Reply #119 on: 09 September 2015, 22:25 »
Sterling effort. Why the older 9a over ABF or 1.8T though? I thought my rust was bad, yours was disastrous. Well done for resurrecting it. I prefer the BBS Alloys though I must say. Where did you get that splitter?.