Author Topic: My GTI Test Drive  (Read 6033 times)

Offline davoaj

• GTI forum regular
My GTI Test Drive
« on: 06 June 2009, 12:24 »
Afternoon everyone

Just got back from test driving the new GTI whilst my MkV GTI was being serviced. The test car was a silver 5 door with leather, DSG and the RCD 510 touch screen radio.

Initial impressions were that I preferred my existing MkV, but I put that down to preferring the 3 door model. Once I settled in to a decent driving position, everything seemed very well laid out. I would like to see one with the Jaccara cloth, as I have the interlagos in mine, but the leather certainly seemed a big improvement in what used to go in to the MkV’s.

First thing I noticed once on the road was how quiet it was and having read something about a “sound generator” being added by VW I felt that what I was hearing from the engine/exhaust seemed a bit artificial. Still the exhaust burble from the DSG kept me entertained.

First place I headed for was my local favourite stretch of country lanes. Acceleration was quick as you would expect, but I still felt a little detached from what was going on and whilst it was a wet morning the GTI stilled a propensity to understeer going in to some of the quicker bends. Having driven along these roads a thousand times, I know them really well and think that my MkV seems to handle them a little more raucously and keeps you involved with what is happening. In fairness to the new GTI though, that may be due to it being a DSG and me not being fully used to it.

Then headed off to pick my better half up from home and take her to the gym. She loves the MkV, and was none to impressed with the front end of the new one, although I always think that golfs in general take some time to grow on you aesthetically. As for the interior, I have to agree with what she said though, too much going on on the dashboard and the steering wheel and I don’t really think the chrome surrounds on everything are particularly in keeping with the GTI.

After a few more blasts around I headed back to the dealership to pick mine up from its 20k service. By this time I was quite looking forward to getting back in it to compare it back to back.

Anyway VW sat me down and started to talk numbers with me. The car I drover was just over £28k new and having chatted to them agreed that I wouldn’t be looking for one that spec’d up. Cutting a long story short they couldn’t offer me any discount on a £24k car that I spec’d up with them for factory order and that came in after some haggling on the rate at £375 a month over 4 years with a £2.5k deposit on VW’s PCP.

Personally I just don’t think it warrants the premium over and above what I already pay for the MkV and having been quoted a similar price on a used 335 M Sport coupe recently, I know which I would go for.

I think the new GTI is a great car after my 2 hour drive, but not a big enough step forward from the MkV to swap it. I don’t doubt that it will sell well and know plenty of people will love it, but it has convinced me that I’ll be keeping mine for a long time yet and considering something else as a second car, although I will of course wait to see what the R20 has to offer when official details of that are released.

For all those waiting for their delivery, congratulations you’re getting a great car but I don’t think you’ll be getting too many envious glances from MkV GTI drivers, just a smile and a wave!

Offline flyingzard

• Not said much yet
Re: My GTI Test Drive
« Reply #1 on: 06 June 2009, 12:54 »
I drove the new MK6 GTI today - it was:

5 door white
Manual
only extras fitted were the 18 inch wheels and parking sensors so it was nice to see pretty much what a standard GTI looks like.

First impressions were that it looked good in white and the twin pipes make up for the new light cluster which imho are not a patch on the round lights on the MKV GTI. However the front styling looks spot on and if i am honest looks nicer than the MK5 front.

Inside i didnt think the seats were as nice, not overly struck on the moveable armrest and don't get me started on the gear stick which felt just wrong - far too small and the shape doesn't fit the hand as well as the one in the MKV. The steering wheel will maybe not be to everyones taste but it looked good to me.

The aircon buttons felt a little tacky - I certainly felt like there were some 'improvements' which have been done cheaper..... However, overall it certainly did have that well build VW feel about it.

On the drive - i only had it for 15 mins so it didnt get a full test drive but enough to find out that it is a great car but no real difference in power than my 6 month old MK5. In fact if i am honest it didnt feel as quick - i have not remapped my GTI yet btw!....

Overall i think it is a great car but for me not a reason to trande in my MK5 as it does not offer a great deal more than what i already have.

Offline DanoGTI

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 06 June 2009, 15:02 »
I think that both of your comments sum it up perfectly.

A nice car IF you haven't already been exposed to the mk5.
Expensive imho, but I can't help thinking that it's VW trying to make back their losses incurred in the production of the mk5.

I'm sure that mk6 owners will be very happy though :)

DAn

DA Productions

The fine art of diplomacy is telling somebody to "fcuk off" in such a way that they actually look forward to the journey....

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #3 on: 06 June 2009, 15:09 »
I don't know if thats really the case.... I mean VW own a whole host of car makers, like Bentley, Audi, Seat, Lambourgini etc etc I don't think they are short of a few quid, and I dont think the price is high so they can claw back a few £ that they 'may' have lost on the mk5 GTI. I think its simply higher as your getting more car for your money and of course as someone else said, the exchange rate is pretty poor at the moment.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline davoaj

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 06 June 2009, 15:12 »
That's it really isn't it. Doesn't do anything the MkV owners aren't already used to.

Just spent the rest of my day looking at RNS510, Revo remap and new tryres (the latter obviously being the priority!).

Have a feeling the MkV may keep a lot of people happy for a good while yet. One thing I was quite surprised by was that they offered me £12.5k for mine in part ex. I'd expected them to really try and screw me on that, but that was their opening offer!

Happy I tested it though, just made me realise how much I like my car.  :evil:

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 07 June 2009, 13:13 »
That's it really isn't it. Doesn't do anything the MkV owners aren't already used to.

Just spent the rest of my day looking at RNS510, Revo remap and new tryres (the latter obviously being the priority!).

Have a feeling the MkV may keep a lot of people happy for a good while yet. One thing I was quite surprised by was that they offered me £12.5k for mine in part ex. I'd expected them to really try and screw me on that, but that was their opening offer!

Obviously different dealers will offer you different amounts on your P/X but my guess is that they are being told not to discount from VW so their sweetener is going to be a good P/X price. Either way you're looking at the 'cost to change' whether they take money off the retail price or add money on to the trade price for your car. Another benefit of doing this (for the dealer) is that good second hand GTIs are in very short supply and are selling rather well at the moment so they really would like your car on their forecourt. IMO of course!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Chins

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 07 June 2009, 13:29 »

Obviously different dealers will offer you different amounts on your P/X but my guess is that they are being told not to discount from VW so their sweetener is going to be a good P/X price. Either way you're looking at the 'cost to change' whether they take money off the retail price or add money on to the trade price for your car. Another benefit of doing this (for the dealer) is that good second hand GTIs are in very short supply and are selling rather well at the moment so they really would like your car on their forecourt. IMO of course!

I think you maybe correct. I took in one of the cars my company owns as a possible px. Not much off the GTI - few hundred quid, but a stunning px price.

Offline jdjd

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 07 June 2009, 15:09 »
lol mines going for 9k to a freind.:( failboat

Offline Tailpipe

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 15 June 2009, 13:15 »
Hello everyone,

First post here. After owning Golf GTIs and VR6s for years and years, I defected first to Audi and then to BMW. BMW build quality and reliability not what it was. Just went in a friend's GTI Mark V and was so impressed by how much the Golf had progressed I decided to test drive the new Mark VI. It was a 5-door white model with DSG, Full SatNav, 18" Monza Shadows and leather. In a word: gorgeous. It really went well: so much torque at low revs. Fabulous build quality and a real sense of occasion driving one. I think the engine (Audi's new EA888 2.0-litre with TSI) is probably the best 4-cylinder block in any production car at this time. It offers a wonderful combination of power and economy.

Very tempted to get one. Only real hesitation is forthcoming GTI-R: 260-280 bhp, 4WD, new LED rear light cluster (from Worthersee one-off concept GTI) and different alloys. We should see it revealed at the Frankfurt show this September. Couple of points to note:

- Output not confirmed, but engine is expected to be same unit as Audi TTS, S3 and Scirocco R, which is the previous generation 2.0-litre  TFSI
- GTI-R should almost certainly have AWD, so as not to alienate existing R32 owners
- There is also rumour of a new 7-speed DSG box designed to handle greater torque of higher-powered Golfs, Audi A3s and TT-RS; it will also provide increased fuel economy. (Personally, I'd like to see a development of latest 2.0-litre engine in GTI pushed to about 300 bhp)

I wonder whether the GTI-R will get a higher output than 260 bhp so that there is room for another more powerful FWD model between it and the standard GTI, offering say 240-250 bhp?

« Last Edit: 15 June 2009, 13:31 by Tailpipe »
Golf R - almost on order - 5-door, DSG, Rising Blue, leather, 19" alloys, RNS510 with Dynaudio, ACC, Sunroof, Parking camera and sensors, luxury pack and cruise control.

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #9 on: 15 June 2009, 13:24 »
Hello everyone,

First post here. After owning Golf GTIs and VR6s for years and years, I defected first to Audi and then to BMW. BMW build quality and reliability not what it was. Just went in a friend's GTI Mark V and was so impressed by how much the Golf had progressed I decided to test drive the new Mark VI. It was a 5-door white model with DSG, Full SatNav, 18" Monza Shadows and leather. In a word: gorgeous. It really went well: so much torque at low revs. Fabulous build quality and a real sense of occasion driving one. I think the engine (Audi's new EA888 2.0-litre with TSI) is probably the best 4-cylinder block in any production car at this time. It offers a wonderful combination of power and economy.

Very tempted to get one. Only real hesitation is forthcoming GTI-R: 260-280 bhp, 4WD, new LED rear light cluster (from Worthersee one-off concept GTI) and different alloys. We should see it revealed at the Frankfurt show this September. Couple of points to note:

- Output not confirmed, but engine is expected to be same unit as Audi TTS, S3 and Scirocco R, which is the previous generation 2.0-litre  TFSI
- GTI-R should almost certainly have AWD, so as not to alienate existing R32 owners
- There is also rumour of a new 7-speed DSG box designed to handle greater torque of higher-powered Golfs, Audi A3s and TT-RS; it will also provide increased fuel economy. (Personally, I'd like to see a development of latest 2.0-litre engine in GTI pushed to about 300 bhp)

I wonder whether the GTI-R will get a higher output than 260 bhp so that there is room for another more powerful FWD model between it and the standard GTI, offering say 240-250 bhp?

Other rumour I hear is that there may be another

And you forgot to add that the GTI-R will be thousands more expensive than the GTI.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"