Author Topic: Job To Do - Rear Beam Bushes  (Read 9334 times)

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
  • Cruising around in a Land Cruiser
Re: Job To Do - Rear Beam Bushes
« Reply #20 on: 08 April 2009, 21:51 »
easier/quicker to just cut them out
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...

Offline johnson6672

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 08 April 2009, 21:53 »
If you were closer to me i would do it for a few beers, may be worth gettingf some brake line clamps aswell if you do remove the whole axle, loose less fluid then ad shouldn't have as many problems bleeding the brakes after, would have done mine but only have 1 clamp for some strange reason.
MK4 GTI T AGU, REVO Remap, BMC carbon box, Miltek cat back, Forge diverter valve, THS FR3 engine/Gbox mounts, Some random alloys, lowered on coilovers.
192bhp 212lbft torque.

Offline northeast_gti-t

• Serious forum addict
  • "1.8T AGU"
« Reply #22 on: 08 April 2009, 21:53 »
Hmm not sure on your chances of getting the bushes out and in with out dropping the axle, would certanly be easier with it off, especially to get them back in, did mine yesterday. Also to get the bushes in and out the axle needs dropping a little just to get access, once the axle is disconected the only things left to disconnect are the shocks, brake lines and handbrake cable, just be aware of the brake bleeding problems if you do drop the axle off.
Also have you thought of Fabia Vrs rear bushes, there is a thread about them on Mkiv website, i went for these from vwspares, £10.95 each plus the vat, looked good and felt good on a blast today, check the thread out.
cheers for the heads up :afro: i'm hoping i can do it this way but like you say tho also on reading iirc you can just disconnect the brake caliper without undoing the hose  :wink: but according to haynes you need to remove the stub axle? did you? i did think of the vrs ones but i ordered the vw ones late last night wanted em here for the weekend lol will check the thread  :wink:

\No i disconnected at the flexi hose that goes to the Axle, was going to remove the calipersa nd do it that way but when you look at the brake lines where the flexi meets the solid hose, they actually attach to the axle so as far as i could see the only way was to disonnect at the flexi hose where it meets the axle, correct me if i am wrong. And to get mine out as was already said i cut them out as they were totally goosed.
i was going to just try n get away with just removing the calipers  :laugh: so you left the stub axle -minus the discs?
2000 Mkiv GTi 1.8T AGU

Offline northeast_gti-t

• Serious forum addict
  • "1.8T AGU"
« Reply #23 on: 08 April 2009, 21:55 »
easier/quicker to just cut them out
best get some hacksaw blades tomorrow to lol  :grin: not much room laid under the golf mmm bad back  :sad:
2000 Mkiv GTi 1.8T AGU

Offline northeast_gti-t

• Serious forum addict
  • "1.8T AGU"
« Reply #24 on: 08 April 2009, 21:56 »
If you were closer to me i would do it for a few beers, may be worth gettingf some brake line clamps aswell if you do remove the whole axle, loose less fluid then ad shouldn't have as many problems bleeding the brakes after, would have done mine but only have 1 clamp for some strange reason.
cheers for the offer bud :afro:
2000 Mkiv GTi 1.8T AGU

Offline johnson6672

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 08 April 2009, 21:57 »
Hmm not sure on your chances of getting the bushes out and in with out dropping the axle, would certanly be easier with it off, especially to get them back in, did mine yesterday. Also to get the bushes in and out the axle needs dropping a little just to get access, once the axle is disconected the only things left to disconnect are the shocks, brake lines and handbrake cable, just be aware of the brake bleeding problems if you do drop the axle off.
Also have you thought of Fabia Vrs rear bushes, there is a thread about them on Mkiv website, i went for these from vwspares, £10.95 each plus the vat, looked good and felt good on a blast today, check the thread out.
cheers for the heads up :afro: i'm hoping i can do it this way but like you say tho also on reading iirc you can just disconnect the brake caliper without undoing the hose  :wink: but according to haynes you need to remove the stub axle? did you? i did think of the vrs ones but i ordered the vw ones late last night wanted em here for the weekend lol will check the thread  :wink:

\No i disconnected at the flexi hose that goes to the Axle, was going to remove the calipersa nd do it that way but when you look at the brake lines where the flexi meets the solid hose, they actually attach to the axle so as far as i could see the only way was to disonnect at the flexi hose where it meets the axle, correct me if i am wrong. And to get mine out as was already said i cut them out as they were totally goosed.
i was going to just try n get away with just removing the calipers  :laugh: so you left the stub axle -minus the discs?

Nope anly thing to come off the axle was the wheels and disconnect from where its connected to the rest of the car. You could make a puller to get them out but you would need some tube with a plate welded on the end and a hole in to pull the bush into, as steve said just cut them out, push/cut the rubber out and the saw though the metal outer very carefully then knock out
MK4 GTI T AGU, REVO Remap, BMC carbon box, Miltek cat back, Forge diverter valve, THS FR3 engine/Gbox mounts, Some random alloys, lowered on coilovers.
192bhp 212lbft torque.

Offline jonnyturbo

• Forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 08 April 2009, 22:01 »
Cost me £80 inc bushes to get mine done lol
Gone but still keeping a close eye on it...

Mk4 golf 1.8t AUM Hybrid K03s. Custom Mapped by R-tech to 260bhp. CR hybrid turbo Audi TT injectors / fuel pump, Forge tip,THS FMIC,Carbonio CAI, Full milltek turbo back, N249 bypass, Fully poly bushed, Weitec coils. Genuine R32 front bumper and Genuine R-line rear, Genuine Porsche twists, Anniversary black interior.

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
« Reply #27 on: 08 April 2009, 22:05 »

Did you have gun to his head?  :grin:

MKIV Mod Squad™ a part of the headlight police.

Offline northeast_gti-t

• Serious forum addict
  • "1.8T AGU"
« Reply #28 on: 08 April 2009, 22:07 »

Did you have gun to his head?  :grin:
pmsl no but i might  :grin: :grin: :grin:
2000 Mkiv GTi 1.8T AGU

Offline the_stink

• Forum addict
  • A3 140 TDI
« Reply #29 on: 09 April 2009, 08:34 »
my amte tom hopefully will be chaniging my rear bushes after hes doen the camblet and water pump, but he said he would have a look first as he knows they are a bit of a bugger to get out lol  :grin: