Author Topic: Do late 2019 (2020 model year) GTI's still have the silicon bags in the coolant?  (Read 2987 times)

Offline KieranD79

• Not said much yet
Hi everyone,

Pretty much as the subject says...

I've checked for 'mit Silikat' on the expansion tank, not there, I've looked in the tank, can't see anything, even stuck my finger in and had a feel around, can't feel anything obvious, so how do I know if my GTI has the (potentially) troublesome silicon bag?

I want to get rid if it does but would rather not replace the coolant tank for no reason.... I don't trust myself to not split the bag when trying to remove it so would rather just replace the tank.

Did they delete this on the later models?

Thanks  :smiley:

2019 Mk7.5 GTI PP, DSG, Indium Grey, Arts Velour, 90% tints, Brescia’s

Gone but not forgotten - 2012 Mk6 GTI, Manual, Carbon Grey, Leather, RNS510 Nav, Bi-xenons, Glendale’s, Lux Pack, Cruise

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
I have had my mk7 Gti since new (2013) and have the bottle "Mit Silikat" and have had no issues if that helps. I do have the bag and can see it in base of bottle. Its there for a reason to compensate for G13 coolant lesser value of silikat compared to older G12 coolant. The silikat in the "Bag" gives the coolant longer life in the system and also protects aluminium internal components from degredation. If it aint broke dont fix it.  But if you like others have it in your head to remove it, i would recommend buying a new bottle with a new bag, or else a new bottle with no bag and then carry out coolant changes more often.
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Online bogwoppit

• GTI forum regular
Our July 2019 GTi had a silicone bag, but it did say 'mit Silikat' on the header tank.
BMW 128ti - current

Mk 7.5 GTI PP, indium grey, manual - gone

Online Adam T7

• I live here
My MY2019 was built in October 2018 and delivered in December. Definitely was ‘Mit Silikat’ so I replaced the tank. I am sure I read on here somewhere that very late MY19’s were Silikat free though.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline madstaff

• I live here
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
I have had my mk7 Gti since new (2013) and have the bottle "Mit Silikat" and have had no issues

You need to remove it asap as if it goes you will have big problems and you get no warning at all of the huge bill you are going to get when it bursts. It is an easy job if you see the bag of just clamping the pipes and removing the tank to remove the bag or clamp them attempt to remove the big in situ and if it does break then remove the tank to clean it all out. Only costs a litre of coolant to do and 20minutes of time .
« Last Edit: 16 November 2023, 09:08 by Finglonga »

Offline skippy

• GTI forum regular
My GTI is a 2020MY (69 plate) and does not have the silicon bag fitted.
MK7.5 2020, Isaac Blue, standard spec

Gone but certainly not forgotten Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TSI

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
I have had my mk7 Gti since new (2013) and have the bottle "Mit Silikat" and have had no issues

You need to remove it asap as if it goes you will have big problems and you get no warning at all of the huge bill you are going to get when it bursts. It is an easy job if you see the bag of just clamping the pipes and removing the tank to remove the bag or clamp them attempt to remove the big in situ and if it does break then remove the tank to clean it all out. Only costs a litre of coolant to do and 20minutes of time .
Sorry but I don’t need to remove it asap. It’s there for a reason. I’d easily remove it but just don’t believe all the hype on the internet blown out of all proportion. I’ll let you all know if it bursts and you can say “I told you so!”  :wink:
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
Mit Silikat also.

2013 no issues.
I will also let you all know if it does cause a problem but I doubt it will.
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
Interested to know if the later cars have done any with the bag what version of coolant they are using to make up for it?
2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.