Author Topic: Paint matching  (Read 965 times)

Offline Mixmasta

• GTI forum regular
Paint matching
« on: 14 March 2010, 20:42 »
Hey all,

Been reading this section of the forum for some time now after venturing here thinking i'd get some 'quick tips' for reviving some ageing paintwork on my cabby, I didn't realise just how in depth this subject is  :wink:  Cudos on all of the information on here!

After reading the sticky on scratch removal I am thinking of tackiling some stone chips and small scratches myself (you can 'feel' them), I would like to know whether any of you guys have a 'preferred' supplier of paint for best match?

Also, what would people advise on for a reasonable budget rotary polisher/kit to acheive a good result in bringing the paint work to back a reasonable standard, it's not exactly dull now but it has been overlooked for some time - I have only just bought this car and would like to give it a good once over to see what i'm working with. The vehicle in question is an 88 mk1 golf cabriolet in helios blue metallic.

Sorry if this has been answered before but I have searched and read numerous threads and I can't find the answer!

Cheers

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
Re: Paint matching
« Reply #1 on: 14 March 2010, 21:24 »
hi mixmasta

as far as paint goes i would go to the vw dealers for a touch up stick but not for a large amount of paint as they'll rob you blind. 

if you have no experience with a rotory then i would strongly suggest not getting one as you could damage your paint, a DA polisher is ideal for people new to machine polishing,chris at  www.waxamomo.co.uk sells all the products you need for detailing.
« Last Edit: 14 March 2010, 21:28 by dubplate Dan »
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!